• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee

The Spring Fling Triple was sold to Knoebels Amusement Park in PA around 2001. North Lynx is, for sure, the old Sugar Bravo. I spotted it right away when I first became a lifty... the lift panel in the shack has space for 20 towers, whereas NL is only 10-12 and the motor room at the bottom terminal, "Sugar Bravo" is behind the "North Lynx" lettering, along with "Lift C".

Newpylong

IIRC the Spring Fling triple was yellow (the chairs) right up to its last hour and was a Borvig. I don't recall it running once even on the busiest of weekends when I was there '95-'99. May not even have been inspected, dunno.

As Jay said, NL is absolutely the old Sugar Bravo shortened.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ugh, that must have been a long slow ride. Perhaps even by 30 years ago standards🤔

Probably better than the gondola. IIRC the line was just under 10,000 feet in length! And given the time period it probably moved at about 600-800 fpm, especially given it's not just an old gondola, it was a VERY early gondola from the late 50s!

1dog

And a 3 passenger if memory serves? Or was that Wildcat I remember? Have one hanging in my yard but still can't recall of 3 or 4 pass.

crank

I'm an old crank but IMO the top of Sugarbush skied a lot better back in the gondola days.

SkiingInABlueDream

Probably better than the gondola. IIRC the line was just under 10,000 feet in length! And given the time period it probably moved at about 600-800 fpm, especially given it's not just an old gondola, it was a VERY early gondola from the late 50s!
Sure, but the gondola ran base to summit so it's sort of 🍎🍏🍊🍊
It wasn't before my time but unfortunately I never got to ride it.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
IIRC the Spring Fling triple was yellow (the chairs) right up to its last hour and was a Borvig. I don't recall it running once even on the busiest of weekends when I was there '95-'99. May not even have been inspected, dunno.

As Jay said, NL is absolutely the old Sugar Bravo shortened.

Back in the early 90s, pre-ASC, Bravo was a 15+ minute ride. Gate House was a double with a 10 1/2 minute ride time. When the new lifts went in, it was a game changer, for sure.

Spring Fling was blue in its last years... I do remember Bravo being yellow. It was later painted grey and a few years ago you still could've seen the yellow paint flaking through. I remember riding it a few times. We would come up during the Christmas/NYE holiday week so it was running then. Holiday week 92/93 (or 93/94) Bravo had no snow so it wasn't open. North had more snowmaking than South did back then.

nhskier1969

I don't think Sugarbush should continue touting their 7 million snowmaking upgrades. I know Sugarbush normally starts out slow, but this is awful.
How can Ikons crown jewel ski resort in the east have the same vertical and terrain acreage open as Wachusetts? Wachusetts is a good ski area but its not Sugarbush. I imagine the temperatures in Princeton aren't nearly as cold as Warren Vermont. Plus Wachusetts doesn't have the elevation like Sugarbush.
So how can both mountains have the same amount acreage open if Sugarbush just dumped 7 million for upgrades?