• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

jaybird

Spoke yesterday with a guy in the know.
The snowmaking pond inflatable dam posts/weirs were built too tall .. this caused the 'spillway' some issues due to insufficient water flow into the area that they need. Would have expected more competence from the engineering firm's designer on a critical element ..

Supply chain issue of a high order 😉

Newpylong

I'm not so sure that ME Summit would be considered "early season contender" material. ME has less GPM than LP as far as snowmaking. This year I don't see them having been open any earlier (actually I'm not even sure a single ME summit route would have been done when they had GH open...the last bit of Lower Rim Run was looking pretty thin on the cam when GH opened). Even right now, unless they had shifted focus at ME to skip making any snow at lower elevations, they'd have maybe 2 or 2.5 routes at best off the summit with downloading required on GMX. Is that better than what they have at LP right now (essentially 1 route on VH plus 1 3/4ish routes off GH...but at least no downloading needed). And I think they're a lot closer to getting more stuff open at LP than they would be to having more ready at ME. At ME there isn't even any snow made at the base of North Ridge yet, never mind at the base of GMX. Do they still have to make snow at Inverness at ME as well for GMVS commitments? If so that also hurts the ability to get too much else open earlier at ME. (No cam pointed at Inverness so I can't see what, if anything, was made there yet).

Water volume is seldom an issue early season, and Inverness is an entirely separate water system. If they were serious about early season (and there probably isn't the market to be), then the setup at Ellen is far better than Lincoln for that. It's when you start to get into late fall when the temperatures (usually) begin to drop where Lincoln would start to get ahead in the amount of terrain that could be covered more quickly vs Ellen. If they were content with Rim Run/Panorama plus maybe another just to get open then there is more than sufficient capacity at Ellen for that venture. As much I get the lure of it, kinda doesn't make sense to me though to just have to shift gears back to Lincoln for the holiday(s).

Last edited:

cdskier

Water volume is seldom an issue early season, and Inverness is an entirely separate water system. If they were serious about early season (and there probably isn't the market to be), then the setup at Ellen is far better than Lincoln for that. It's when you start to get into late fall when the temperatures (usually) begin to drop where Lincoln would start to get ahead in the amount of terrain that could be covered more quickly vs Ellen. If they were content with Rim Run/Panorama plus maybe another just to get open then there is more than sufficient capacity at Ellen for that venture. As much I get the lure of it, kinda doesn't make sense to me though to just have to shift gears back to Lincoln for the holiday(s).

Interesting that Inverness is completely separate as I swear it seemed like I recall numerous times they were making snow on Inverness and nowhere else at ME at the same time over the past few years.

To the rest though, you kind of proved my point. You can get 1-2 routes off the summit open at ME quickly, but that's where it ends. After that LP has the advantage (and the advantage will only grow larger in the future when they eventually increase the snowmaking capacity at LP). To me simply 1-2 routes off the ME summit isn't worth it compared to the possibility of getting more terrain open at LP.

Lotso

Nothing on Inverness. Burst pipe in the first snowmaking window, dug up, repaired, buried, repair broke. Dug up again and now waiting for temps like everywhere else.

I miss the early/late season at ME upper pod, but real estate and infrastructure for tourists drivethe bus and that's at LP.

Lotso

Anyone skied that last up section of the slide brook liftline coming from Lincoln (or, the first down section coming from Ellen)? The one that's super gnarly with cliffs. I've seen tracks (or track, rather) down it before and it obviously needs a ton of snow but it's something that always has interested me.
No, but skied the main Slide Brook pitch from Lincoln last day Slide Brook was open several years ago. Was a hoot. I know an old master plan called for a lift pod in there- would be outstanding upper intermediate terrain.

skiur

Correct.

No. The SBX was a negotiated deal involving SB, USFS, and the State. It is what it is. Any replacement would have to follow that line.

Unless they greased the right wheels and renegotiated. Doubtful but nothing is impossible.

Newpylong

Interesting that Inverness is completely separate as I swear it seemed like I recall numerous times they were making snow on Inverness and nowhere else at ME at the same time over the past few years.

To the rest though, you kind of proved my point. You can get 1-2 routes off the summit open at ME quickly, but that's where it ends. After that LP has the advantage (and the advantage will only grow larger in the future when they eventually increase the snowmaking capacity at LP). To me simply 1-2 routes off the ME summit isn't worth it compared to the possibility of getting more terrain open at LP.

The pump house is right next to the little pond across from the bottom of the Quad. They share air, but the water is separate. As far as I remember two smaller pumps in there.

Our points diverge because I was saying the lack of water would not detract from Ellen's ability to get minimal terrain open early season. It's the Thanksgiving time frame (which I guess you could still call early season for sure) where they would be leapfrogged by Lincoln as things cool down. That's all.

cdskier

The pump house is right next to the little pond across from the bottom of the Quad. They share air, but the water is separate. As far as I remember two smaller pumps in there.

Our points diverge because I was saying the lack of water would not detract from Ellen's ability to get minimal terrain open early season. It's the Thanksgiving time frame (which I guess you could still call early season for sure) where they would be leapfrogged by Lincoln as things cool down. That's all.

Maybe the air is the issue then and they don't have enough air to run Inverness plus other terrain?

I think one reason our points diverge is because we're thinking of different definitions of early season. To me I'm considering opening by Thanksgiving as "early season" as I see no reason for SB to realistically think about pushing for earlier than that. Let K keep the "early early" season title. It just isn't worth it and I don't see the ROI with opening earlier.

tumbler

Inverness water used to be tied into the main system and the pumphouse at the bottom was a booster for the whole mountain and not used very much but that was during the loud snowmaking times. They might have re-plumbed though. The reason nothing else is running when Inverness is online is because that trail takes up all the capacity, it is huge. Add in running lower brambles and nothing is leftover.
I do like the new early season of VH lift, I wish they had got lower snowball and racers edge done too to spread the crowd out a bit. Then go big and get Steins and coffee run and claim the earliest steepest terrain opening. Not a fan of GH early opening but when I look at the camera it is getting used. It is a long slow slog from the summit to the base at LP. Once all of lower jester gets done then birdland and murphys can follow. Just need better consistent temps. And maybe a better balloon in the river.

slatham

That ship sailed about 15 years ago.....
Yes all to aware. Key word was IF.

That was great pod back in the day. Hell they even had FIS open for thanksgiving some years - Turkey Tumble. I am sure we’d all rather ski FIS and Rim and Elbow vs GH and SB/SF.

But yeah it ain’t happening…..

And yes this year it wouldn’t have made much difference - maybe a week? But under typical fall weather - assuming that still exists - the ME Summit could open weeks before GH/VH, IMHO.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes all to aware. Key word was IF.

That was great pod back in the day. Hell they even had FIS open for thanksgiving some years - Turkey Tumble. I am sure we’d all rather ski FIS and Rim and Elbow vs GH and SB/SF.

But yeah it ain’t happening…..

And yes this year it wouldn’t have made much difference - maybe a week? But under typical fall weather - assuming that still exists - the ME Summit could open weeks before GH/VH, IMHO.
Completely agree. I am an admitted Sugarbush North/Mount Ellen fanboy.

cdskier

I'd rather start at LP with VH/SB and avoiding having to deal with downloading at ME (funny that not too long ago in this thread people were saying they hated downloading on Bravo...yet now people want to download on GMX to ski the summit at ME as the early option). Usually they can get HG in the mix pretty soon after VH/SB opens to add some nice variety. I don't find the summit terrain at ME that overly compelling compared to LP. FIS is fun, but short. Not really a trail I enjoy lapping. Rim Run is also not really a trail I like lapping.

Don't get me wrong, I love ME when the mid-mountain is open and the Inverness pod is open. But summit only I find somewhat limited and not overly exciting.

Newpylong

Maybe the air is the issue then and they don't have enough air to run Inverness plus other terrain?

I think one reason our points diverge is because we're thinking of different definitions of early season. To me I'm considering opening by Thanksgiving as "early season" as I see no reason for SB to realistically think about pushing for earlier than that. Let K keep the "early early" season title. It just isn't worth it and I don't see the ROI with opening earlier.

Yes, I am referring to prior to Thanksgiving IE playing with the big boys. That's why I said probably not worth it...and once you get into Thanksgiving it makes no sense to focus efforts there by that point.

shipyardcreek

Yes that's called Elevator Shaft, if I understand you correctly. Not particularly upset about the expansion not happening but I could go either way.
I heard it called Plunging Elevator. When the snow is good it is a fun little run. Just don't go below the second work road. Also watch for the rocky section near the bottom. If need to bail, there is a work road about halfway down that takes you to the official Slide Book runs.

HowieT2

I'd rather start at LP with VH/SB and avoiding having to deal with downloading at ME (funny that not too long ago in this thread people were saying they hated downloading on Bravo...yet now people want to download on GMX to ski the summit at ME as the early option). Usually they can get HG in the mix pretty soon after VH/SB opens to add some nice variety. I don't find the summit terrain at ME that overly compelling compared to LP. FIS is fun, but short. Not really a trail I enjoy lapping. Rim Run is also not really a trail I like lapping.

Don't get me wrong, I love ME when the mid-mountain is open and the Inverness pod is open. But summit only I find somewhat limited and not overly exciting.
This. unless the nrx is running, mt ellen is not a full day of skiing for me.

IceEidolon

Unless they greased the right wheels and renegotiated. Doubtful but nothing is impossible.
If you really needed the one seat ride you could replace three lifts and get a three stage gondola going. That would be way more trouble than it's worth, but it's technically possible.