• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

That's slidebrook..lower fis crosses under it.
Only lifts running are green and summit.

cdskier

Slug, was that the NRX chairless?

I see chairs in the photo...that's definitely Slidebrook though taken from Lower FIS where Slidebrook crosses it. In addition to what TB said, there's also the sign on the tower in the photo mentioning the lift may run in reverse which I've only seen on Slidebrook and not on NRX.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
IIRC from my lifty days... all the 1995-era Doppelmayer detaches can run in reverse. There's a reverse switch in the terminal. If a lift were to run in reverse, ski patrol would have to ski the line and warn everyone. Since you can't realistically ski the line of Slide Brook end to end, the signs make sense and probably why they're at every other tower or so on that lift. I have had to run a lift in reverse, under direction of lift maintenance, when the lift was closed... I believe we were doing spacing following an icing event.

If you're on a fixed-grip and it moves backwards... I'd worry!

Naturalsnow

The Flyer at Jay was running in reverse yesterday - it is not yet open for the season and had only a few chairs on the line, so they must have been doing some testing or some such. Was quite an odd sight to behold!

doublediamond

All Doppelmayr detachables can run in reverse. This can be done to get chairs/cabins on/off the line. This can be done to fix spacing issues. And most notably this is [supposed] to be done when the grip position sensor trips. By Doppelmayr’s checklist you are to run the lift back so it gets back in the terminal, unload the passengers on the offending chair/cabin, and retry. If it still still trips, you are to run it backwards again, and take off the offending chair/cabin. Mount-Saint-Anne failed to do this. In that situation a mechanic was dispatched to visually check the cabin and cleared the lift to restart without sending it back to the grip position detector in the terminal. This blatant failure of safety rules and numerous violations led the province to shut them down.

It’s code for that sight to be on the lift at the beginning saying “This lift may run in reverse” for any lift that has the ability to run in reverse.

Pomas don’t do that so you won’t see a sign on them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
All Doppelmayr detachables can run in reverse. This can be done to get chairs/cabins on/off the line. This can be done to fix spacing issues. And most notably this is [supposed] to be done when the grip position sensor trips. By Doppelmayr’s checklist you are to run the lift back so it gets back in the terminal, unload the passengers on the offending chair/cabin, and retry. If it still still trips, you are to run it backwards again, and take off the offending chair/cabin. Mount-Saint-Anne failed to do this. In that situation a mechanic was dispatched to visually check the cabin and cleared the lift to restart without sending it back to the grip position detector in the terminal. This blatant failure of safety rules and numerous violations led the province to shut them down.

It’s code for that sight to be on the lift at the beginning saying “This lift may run in reverse” for any lift that has the ability to run in reverse.

Pomas don’t do that so you won’t see a sign on them.
Except Jay’s Flyer is a Leitner. Not Poma-Leitner, not Doppelmayr. Straight Leitner.

cdskier

Has anyone from Sugarbush addressed the Northridge situation? Crickets on the snow report and from what I've seen here. Thanks
Not that I've seen. It has now been about 1.5 months since the last Mountain Ops related update from anyone at SB...

Blurski

IIRC from my lifty days... all the 1995-era Doppelmayer detaches can run in reverse. There's a reverse switch in the terminal. If a lift were to run in reverse, ski patrol would have to ski the line and warn everyone. Since you can't realistically ski the line of Slide Brook end to end, the signs make sense and probably why they're at every other tower or so on that lift. I have had to run a lift in reverse, under direction of lift maintenance, when the lift was closed... I believe we were doing spacing following an icing event.

If you're on a fixed-grip and it moves backwards... I'd worry!
I was on GH many years ago, lift was was stopped everyone was off, lift came back on line after about 6 chairs loaded cazy hale storm blew, ran the lift backwards to get the six chairs off.

SkiTheEast

Has anyone from Sugarbush addressed the Northridge situation? Crickets on the snow report and from what I've seen here. Thanks
Not directly from Sugarbush but one of the comments from someone on Instagram (I know not the most reliable news source) said they are now waiting on State inspection...wondering what the timeline for that is if that is the case..

Blurski

Not directly from Sugarbush but one of the comments from someone on Instagram (I know not the most reliable news source) said they are now waiting on State inspection...wondering what the timeline for that is if that is the case
Not directly from Sugarbush but one of the comments from someone on Instagram (I know not the most reliable news source) said they are now waiting on State inspection...wondering what the timeline for that is if that is the case..
If it was not going to rain this weekend the Holiday crowds would be at the max and truth would be told on if North Ridge can run or not.

Hawk

Hawk-demo report?
Howie, Nortica 104 Enforcers. Rocket ships. Very fast ski. it has some metal under foot so it stables out a lot of the chop. it can trun also. not that bad in the bumps but you have to stay on top. No back seat at all or it will punish you. I like this ski. Very fun.

Rustler 10's, turns well - I liked it in the bumps. Not as much on fast terrain as the Enforcers. good alround ski. I liked it but I don't think I will choose that one.

Black Crow Artis was not availible. Maybe next week.

I still like my Salomon QST 106's the best.

Hawk

Northridge and North Linx. We need a report on both. Birch is blown and would be good skiing. What's the story on that lift also? Next week when the masses are not blacked out will be a good indicator of what it will be like this year. They better have all lifts up and ready to go or it's going to be a mess.

cdskier

Northridge and North Linx. We need a report on both. Birch is blown and would be good skiing. What's the story on that lift also? Next week when the masses are not blacked out will be a good indicator of what it will be like this year. They better have all lifts up and ready to go or it's going to be a mess.

My guess with North Lynx is they're letting Birch drain before grooming and don't want to open the lift with only ungroomed terrain accessible during a holiday period.

Lots of work happening on North Ridge Express the past few days...overheard that inspection will be any day now

Yea...every time I take a peak at the cam it seems the lift mechanics are over there doing stuff the past few days. Still curious what happened during the off-season that it wasn't ready to go for opening day at ME... Was there an actual issue with the lift itself? Or did we have staffing issues again in the lift maintenance department?

teleo

I heard NRX wasn't spacing properly. Tried to remove offending chairs but didn't help. Not sure who you call for a frakenstien chair.