• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

jaybird

We’ve found Verizon service adequate throughout the Green Mtns. Texts transmit nearly all the time.
.. and it’s called ‘the gulch’ for good reason.

Back on topic .. the skiing on Sunday was particularly woeful.
Who set those sopping wet guns on lower spring fling ?
Eeegads 🥺

cdskier

Interesting to see a snow gun positioned at the top of steep drop on Bravo yesterday
I recall one being there last year as well...but I don't recall last year whether it was actually used or not (hoses were there at one point last year, but I didn't actually see much sign of it being used last year at any point before it was removed).

KustyTheKlown

i'm prematurely getting a bit bummed about 1/19-22. we rented a great house on slide brook road and going with my partner, my parents, my sisters and their husbands, and my nephews. first family ski trip in literally decades. half the crowd wont ski but wants sort of cute snowy winter vibes, and the other half are groomer skiers who i want to have a good time on the snow. this winter sucks. i know weather is out of my control but i do feel a certain sense of responsibility for everyone having a good time on this trip (this is largely why i prefer skiing by myself, i hate the stress of making sure other people are happy, in general). i cant wait for my western trip next month.

Shredmonkey254

We’ve found Verizon service adequate throughout the Green Mtns. Texts transmit nearly all the time.
.. and it’s called ‘the gulch’ for good reason.

Back on topic .. the skiing on Sunday was particularly woeful.
Who set those sopping wet guns on lower spring fling ?
Eeegads 🥺
Thanks for validating my decision to stay home and mountain bike!

1dog

near*. the address is on lockwood brook road. its basically where german flats road meets the mount ellen access road
Buck up Kusty. I know the stress - its a good kind - you are thinking of others - Waitsfield/Warren/even Waterbury are nice and close for other activities.

Bring snow shoes and Catemount Trail is right across the street - and looks like you will need them: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-72.92870521545412&lat=44.15955275336873#.XkWdWyNOmiM

and:

Don't leave too late though - traffic will be a nightmare w snow Friday.

And hell, if they bum you out too much, stop by for a hot tub Sat night. We are less than 1/2 mile from you.

cdskier

Buck up Kusty. I know the stress - its a good kind - you are thinking of others - Waitsfield/Warren/even Waterbury are nice and close for other activities.

Bring snow shoes and Catemount Trail is right across the street - and looks like you will need them: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-72.92870521545412&lat=44.15955275336873#.XkWdWyNOmiM

and:

Don't leave too late though - traffic will be a nightmare w snow Friday.

And hell, if they bum you out too much, stop by for a hot tub Sat night. We are less than 1/2 mile from you.

So the mountain forecast site shows a freezing level of over 6000' Thurs night-Fri, yet the NWS forecast says snow at 3000' for that same time-frame? Something isn't adding up here...

These forecasts are depressing. Mother Nature needs to get her shit together and get winter back on track asap...

KustyTheKlown

thanks. yea, we'll see. the forecast you linked is for this weekend. i am at sugarbush with the family the following weekend of 1/19-22. i am not one to get all upset about a 10 day forecast. i know its fairy tales that far out. but this winter is so far a lot of kicks in the dick.

I'm hopefully in maine this weekend unless i scrap it

Lotso

I recall one being there last year as well...but I don't recall last year whether it was actually used or not (hoses were there at one point last year, but I didn't actually see much sign of it being used last year at any point before it was removed).
I have seen it too and it was used back in the Hardy Merrill days, along with guns pulled through the woods from Cliffs to Hammerhead.

tumbler

I have seen it too and it was used back in the Hardy Merrill days, along with guns pulled through the woods from Cliffs to Hammerhead.
This was being done long before Hardy. The old trail maps showed Hammerhead, Lower Brambles and upper looking good with snowmaking all done with hoses through the woods. Bravo headwall used to be done with hoses then some pipes were added to make it easier. Exterminator not even shown with snowmaking anymore

Lotso

This was being done long before Hardy. The old trail maps showed Hammerhead, Lower Brambles and upper looking good with snowmaking all done with hoses through the woods. Bravo headwall used to be done with hoses then some pipes were added to make it easier. Exterminator not even shown with snowmaking anymore
Hydrants removed from Exterminator a few years ago.

IMO Lower Exterm is some of the nicest cruising no one skis...

cdskier

Hydrants removed from Exterminator a few years ago.

IMO Lower Exterm is some of the nicest cruising no one skis...

Eh? They were still there as of last year on upper Exterminator (think they're disconnected though...but they are physically there on skier's left)

Lotso

Eh? They were still there as of last year on upper Exterminator (think they're disconnected though...but they are physically there on skier's left)
I thought the ones that were out in the trail on UEx were removed but could have been mistaken. Don't know about any on woodline

cdskier

I thought the ones that were out in the trail on UEx were removed but could have been mistaken. Don't know about any on woodline

I'm 100% certain they were there last year. Have yet to ski Exterminator this year (or even make it to ME), so no idea if they removed them in the off-season for some reason.

Castlerockrisk

I live in the Valley and Verizon is the way to go for cell and data. Had AT&T and you can live with it sporadically but Verizon works well on the mountain, in town and up in East Warren. biggest dead spot is on the lower 300 yards of West Hill Road