• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I recall they left upper birdland natural with bumps last year, I hope that is not the plan going forward, that is one of my favorite groomer runs. No Steins is surprising and no upper FIS with the new pipe that went in. I was surprised last weekend with the big grooming plan that Murphy's was not groomed. The people I saw were not enjoying their time on it.

Wasn't there some issue last year with running out of water (due to it being TOO cold) which is why they left birdland alone and never went back to it when the water started flowing again? Agree though that I hope they get to it this year, but I also feel like that should be last on the list (Hotshot/Waterfall still needs to be done as well as Steins).

As for FIS...that's surprising I agree. It was listed with the snowmaking symbol on the trail report on the website earlier this week, but they never made anything best I can tell. Not sure if the plan changed that night and they decided to focus only on the lower elevation stuff over there or if they ran into an issue. Hopefully it is the former and not the latter...

Hawk

No they blew it once for like one day. There were wet piles. I remeber because I almost killed myself when I stuck and had to do some slick ballet.

cdskier

No they blew it once for like one day. There were wet piles. I remeber because I almost killed myself when I stuck and had to do some slick ballet.

Are you talking about Birdland last year or FIS this year? Birdland they did start last year IIRC, but ran out of water before they finished it and then never went back to it.

Getskied

I hear you. I have been complaining about snowmaking for years coming from one of the best in the east. I now just deal with it. No more complaining. They will do what they think is best. They have a reason for everything.
Oh I agree. Its one of the many charms of Sugarbush, and ski forums are for debating and speculating on largely unimportant topics like this. My pass is blacked out this weekend anyway, so doesnt really bother me in the short term.

tumbler

What do people think with Ikon base blacked out this weekend, will it make a difference in the traditional zoo crowd? I don't know but thinking with no snow and relatively warm in flatlands some people will bail on their trip and with SB offering the lodging special they must be getting cancelations. I'll be there but probably not on the hill for long...

cdskier

What do people think with Ikon base blacked out this weekend, will it make a difference in the traditional zoo crowd? I don't know but thinking with no snow and relatively warm in flatlands some people will bail on their trip and with SB offering the lodging special they must be getting cancelations. I'll be there but probably not on the hill for long...

I'm still debating whether to drive up...from a crowd perspective I honestly don't think it will be too bad with the blackouts and crappy weather. But then again, that will also be offset by limited terrain open so less places for people to spread out...

drjeff

I read that offer to the base pass, blocked out folks, as that their central reservations objective data, from everything ranging from lodging to ski school bookings, is quite behind what it typically would be for an MLK weekend, and probably seeing a decent amount of cancelations.

My hunch is that this MLK weekend, while there will be some crowds for sure, won't be at the mega crowds that we usually see for MLK weekend, even with the forecast trending now so that the precipitation will be done for mst places for most of the weekend.

Add in for those going North, my guess is the drive will be much less volume wise than normal, since there really aren;t too many miles of snowmobile trails open and available now, to get a large portion of that crowd (and there are a signifcant amount of them traveling North on a "normal" Winter weekend) and I suspect that we won't be seeing what we are used to see crowd wise for MLK weekend this year

Hawk

I'll be up this weekend. Demoing Black crows and buying new skis at some point. I also have a resevation at Chez Henri.
I do not think it will be that bad because of the weather but we will see.

KustyTheKlown

I'll be up this weekend. Demoing Black crows and buying new skis at some point. I also have a resevation at Chez Henri.
I do not think it will be that bad because of the weather but we will see.

which crows?

a word of caution - my 2017ish black crows corvus (black and pink) lasted all of 10 ski days before blowing out under the boot at gore. the customer service was aces and replaced the skis with some basic proof of purchase and photos and a minimal amount of back and forth emails. they sent me the 2019ish version (white and pink). those held up ok, but this past weekend they ate shit with a very strange big separation between the edge and the sidewall. they're prob too skied to make a warranty claim again, but at this point i sort of view black crows quality with a side-eye, especially if you are going to be doing any sort of charging or low tide eastern tree skiing

i made a reservation for mad river barn for the whole family next Friday the 20th. peasant and henri and hen of the wood all seem too fancy to bring my 4 and 0 year old nephews. we'll cook and get high at the house the other nights. the apple fell right beneath the tree. mom is excited for dispensaries lol

Hawk

Camox and Atris. I am looking for something that can handle a bunch of different conditions. I think the Atris is a good option for out west and bigger skiing. I am trying the Camox for a fun ski around the Bush.

crank

I read that offer to the base pass, blocked out folks, as that their central reservations objective data, from everything ranging from lodging to ski school bookings, is quite behind what it typically would be for an MLK weekend, and probably seeing a decent amount of cancelations.

My hunch is that this MLK weekend, while there will be some crowds for sure, won't be at the mega crowds that we usually see for MLK weekend, even with the forecast trending now so that the precipitation will be done for mst places for most of the weekend.

Add in for those going North, my guess is the drive will be much less volume wise than normal, since there really aren;t too many miles of snowmobile trails open and available now, to get a large portion of that crowd (and there are a signifcant amount of them traveling North on a "normal" Winter weekend) and I suspect that we won't be seeing what we are used to see crowd wise for MLK weekend this year
I was supposed to be going sledding in ME this weekend. Cancelled 2nd year in a row. Grr.

Lotso

It's going to be rugged if we get the forecast rain and then wind on the back side... rinse and repeat.

djd66

I just pulled the trigger on 5 days in Colorado for next week. I can't take this anymore! This has to be the least amount of ski days I have ever had going into Mid January.

Lotso

Not that I am a park skier, but any word on if they will put snow down and build the park under Sunny D? I always wondered if they got enough traffic on it to justify the huge expense of the snow and grooming required, and maybe this year they will just keep on with a few features on other trails. Anyone heard anything? Just curious.

Smellytele

I just pulled the trigger on 5 days in Colorado for next week. I can't take this anymore! This has to be the least amount of ski days I have ever had going into Mid January.
My youngest son is out there right now with his girlfriend visiting my oldest son and his fiancé
Said Loveland with his brother yesterday was the best so far. Face shots off the #1 lift.
Abasin was good as well the other day but his girlfriend lost her ski in the powder and never found it.
He is at Copper today with all of them as the 2 girls are not very good skiers.

Getskied

Not that I am a park skier, but any word on if they will put snow down and build the park under Sunny D? I always wondered if they got enough traffic on it to justify the huge expense of the snow and grooming required, and maybe this year they will just keep on with a few features on other trails. Anyone heard anything? Just curious.
I have zero inside knowledge on this but the park always seemed crowded enough to me on weekends in prior years.

As a post-park aged skier with young kids who prefers Ellen under normal mid-season circumstances I would love it if that park was mothballed and Sunny Q could finally become the beginner skiing area that the mountain so desperately needs.

Just as a side note, combining park features and beginner trails into the same general area is incredibly annoying. If you've never had a park rat buzz your 4 year old on a crowded Pushover en route to Slowpoke early season you probably wouldnt understand. The Sunny Q pod has the same issues once the park is there.