• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

My youngest son is out there right now with his girlfriend visiting my oldest son and his fiancé
Said Loveland with his brother yesterday was the best so far. Face shots off the #1 lift.
Abasin was good as well the other day but his girlfriend lost her ski in the powder and never found it.
He is at Copper today with all of them as the 2 girls are not very good skiers.
Good to know, we are headed to Snowmass. The great thing is the whole trip is on points, so it costs me $0.00 I'm going with my daughter who's home on break - good father/daughter bonding time!

Hawk

Dolimiti Superski and a Venice start for me. 2 weeks starting Feb 8. Forcast is for snow starting up this weekend for a week or so.

crank

Dolomites are all about groomers, great grooming btw, and stopping at mountain huts/refuges to eat and drink and enjoy the scenery.

Lotso

Riemergasse: Reemer- gahss-eh

Means Riemer Alley, named after the late Sugarbush owner, Joe Riemer.

cdskier

Not that I am a park skier, but any word on if they will put snow down and build the park under Sunny D? I always wondered if they got enough traffic on it to justify the huge expense of the snow and grooming required, and maybe this year they will just keep on with a few features on other trails. Anyone heard anything? Just curious.

I really don't see why they wouldn't build it this year. They have park events on the calendar at ME later this season. I'd just imagine they haven't had a chance with the weather to start that yet. Too many other priorities and not enough snow-making temps down low.

cdskier

Looks like someone might have been reading this thread….

View attachment 55940

So who's Benny? Is there supposed to be a link in that "Story" on Facebook (I found the story on Facebook, but couldn't find any links in to any more details other than what is in the photo).

In other Sugarbush news:

thetrailboss

Staff member

cdskier

Benny the Bot?
Apparently it is supposed to link to a blog post with more details (https://blog.sugarbush.com/guides/meet-our-snow-reporter-benny-jerome/). It worked on my iPhone, but no matter where I clicked in the story from the browser on my computer nothing happened and no link opened.

I had to laugh at one of the sentences in the last paragraph of the blog post: "I arrive every morning at 6:15 to give you the most accurate and detailed snow report that a young man like myself can provide." Accurate and detailed are two words that have not come to mind reading the Sugarbush Snow Reports this year. MRG is accurate and detailed. I'll even give Stowe credit here as I think their snow report narratives have been very detailed lately (can't speak to accuracy of what they write though).

pinnoke

Enthusiastic, for sure. But, in his early 20's and not yet an experienced (Sugarbush) skier (compared to my 53 years with a feel for the mountain, and 'journalism' when I got the job). I'd enjoy a few chairlift rides with him to help him better understand the priorities...and not the need for a reading of a weather/wind-chill report. He's the SNOW reporter. Sadly, there hasn't been enough of THAT to report about, making the job that much tougher.

[By the way, I made the switch to T-Mobile yesterday, and upgraded from iPhone 7 to 14...and both may be the reason I was quite happy with my cell coverage today (though I can't yet 'report' on performance at ME). The input I received from SkiMRV'ers, especially from 'dustyroads', helped me pull the trigger.]

cdskier

Enthusiastic, for sure. But, in his early 20's and not yet an experienced (Sugarbush) skier (compared to my 53 years with a feel for the mountain, and 'journalism' when I got the job). I'd enjoy a few chairlift rides with him to help him better understand the priorities...and not the need for a reading of a weather/wind-chill report. He's the SNOW reporter. Sadly, there hasn't been enough of THAT to report about, making the job that much tougher.

[By the way, I made the switch to T-Mobile yesterday, and upgraded from iPhone 7 to 14...and both may be the reason I was quite happy with my cell coverage today (though I can't yet 'report' on performance at ME). The input I received from SkiMRV'ers, especially from 'dustyroads', helped me pull the trigger.]

Your reports when you were the snow reporter should probably be considered the benchmark that all other Sugarbush snow reports are measured against! Maybe they should use them as training material for anyone new to the job... :thumbup:

Kingslug20

Just drove back from waitsfield..it was dumping up there...raining in williston...so...who knows what tomorrow brings..

pinnoke

Your reports when you were the snow reporter should probably be considered the benchmark that all other Sugarbush snow reports are measured against! Maybe they should use them as training material for anyone new to the job... :thumbup:
Thanks, and I owe much to JJ Toland and Chris Enman, who helped me grow beyond what must've surely been some wonky early reports, as well. I heard plenty of customer/friend comments which also helped steer what I was reporting...such as PUT NEW SNOWFALL INFO FIRST! Win, and Dispatch (Karen) were in close contact with any changes/updates/snow totals/etc., so I could keep the reports as up-to-date as they ought to be. Johns Hammond, Egan, and Atkinson, too, had my attention, and influenced how we reported. I've made great friends at Sugarbush, beginning with my rookie year in my awesome ski-in, ski-out office! I trust Benny will latch onto the advice he'll receive, both gentle and blunt, and will embrace and grow into his current and perhaps future roles at SB. As for later-tonight's forecast, I still laugh at the skier who once told me it wasn't rain, but an "aggressive mist" that was falling. (Benny - if you're reading this, your earlier description of snow as "frozen precipitation" had us quite concerned!)

Last edited:

djd66