• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Wow... impressive. Looks like they're going to Birdland as well. After that, LP just needs the dreaded HS/Waterfall line.

WWF-VT

Not that I am a park skier, but any word on if they will put snow down and build the park under Sunny D? I always wondered if they got enough traffic on it to justify the huge expense of the snow and grooming required, and maybe this year they will just keep on with a few features on other trails. Anyone heard anything? Just curiou
Snowmaking in full force on the park this weekend.

KustyTheKlown

The snowmaking snow on steins today was seriously fun stuff. Lower organgrinder pretty dang good too. Guns running all over the place, good on them. and empty. Got a shitload of skiing in 8-11 and just got home, with a few errands and stops along the way.

cdskier

Why is Hot Shot/Waterfall last on the totem pole? That was route #1 on Gatehouse when I lived in the Valley but that was the ASC era.
I thought that was odd as well in the overall scheme...although I do think in terms of GH it kind of makes sense to be the last one now. Pushover is always a priority since it is the easiest way down and now has all the new HKDs with Kliks. Sleeper is a favorite of many people and makes sense next in the order on GH especially since they added snowmaking to the part of Sleeper itself that bypasses Sleeper Chutes. That made Sleeper an even more popular trail among intermediates.

As for in the overall plan at LP...maybe it just ended up coming down to what was easiest given where else they happened to be making snow at the time this year based on the weather (i.e. maybe Birdland made more sense at the moment with guns already going on other trails on that side of the mountain).

Kingslug20

And other places...I slid 15 feet off the side of a whale on lower organ...
Let's hope tonight brings something good

1dog

Maybe its the ( heard $7.5M and $10M) snow making water pipe investment, but unlike SV, these guys are able to blow snow in 2x-3x more areas at once than previously experienced.

Must have been 20-25 guns on Steins- 4 great runs - Grinder, had a bunch and they started Birdland ( upper) and had both Sunrise and Birch blown with a base.

All in just a week to 10 days? Mounds were huge- expect they will smooth them out once they are sure snow is coming in thru Friday.

Dryer Sat than Sunday or Monday - Just gotta get 24-36" for woods - that's not coming this week.

Guns all set on Hotshot/Waterfall so have to assume that's the plan.

low crowds all weekend.

hard and fast- softer and steeper on those 1st two mentioned- guns keep people away- so does headwall/rock exposure entrance to Steins.

$237 for a walk up? Wow. Can't get anyone to come up without a pass or at least a Quadpack when its that high.

Lotso

$237 for a walk up? Wow. Can't get anyone to come up without a pass or at least a Quadpack when its that high.

I think that's the goal. I am sure it's working. I wouldn't pay half that for any day so far this winter...

ducky

Had a training with a PSIA/AASI examiner from Stowe last week. He said we had much better conditions. "Much" being a relative term.

Couple laps on Birch/Sunrise today.

Where are you seeing snow in the forecast? I don't see it on NOAA or my phone.

Smellytele

Had a training with a PSIA/AASI examiner from Stowe last week. He said we had much better conditions. "Much" being a relative term.

Couple laps on Birch/Sunrise today.

Where are you seeing snow in the forecast? I don't see it on NOAA or my phone.
Thursday into Friday on noaa and gfs and nam.

cdskier

View attachment 56018
yay another eyesore

First of all, building this is a great thing and kudos to Alterra/Sugarbush for trying to move forward with this project. Secondly, I somewhat doubt that is what it would the final version would actually look like. And if it is what it looks like, you probably wouldn't even see it easily from the road as there's no way they actually clear anywhere near as many trees as this rendering makes it look like. I'd bet it will be set back pretty far from the access road on the property they have at that site.