• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

First of all, building this is a great thing and kudos to Alterra/Sugarbush for trying to move forward with this project. Secondly, I somewhat doubt that is what it would the final version would actually look like. And if it is what it looks like, you probably wouldn't even see it easily from the road as there's no way they actually clear anywhere near as many trees as this rendering makes it look like. I'd bet it will be set back pretty far from the access road on the property they have at that site.
Completely agree. I see ZERO negatives on them building this. It will only help the housing situation in the valley for every one.

Newpylong

4aprice

First of all, building this is a great thing and kudos to Alterra/Sugarbush for trying to move forward with this project. Secondly, I somewhat doubt that is what it would the final version would actually look like. And if it is what it looks like, you probably wouldn't even see it easily from the road as there's no way they actually clear anywhere near as many trees as this rendering makes it look like. I'd bet it will be set back pretty far from the access road on the property they have at that site.
Winter Park (also an Alterra mountain) is also building quite the complex for employee housing. It is not hidden by any means as it sits just to the left at the first light as you come down US 40 from Berthoud and MJ.

SteezyRob

yeah i was more just pointing out that they have plans to build something with a side comment about how it looks. clearly they do need this.

Hawk

The building has to pass muster with the Warren Planning Board so I imagine it will not be an eyesore. Those guys are prety tough. It has to big enough to house a bunch of people but esthetic enough to please all the nimbys. Sounds like a tough situation.

Hawk

Had a training with a PSIA/AASI examiner from Stowe last week. He said we had much better conditions. "Much" being a relative term.

Couple laps on Birch/Sunrise today.

Where are you seeing snow in the forecast? I don't see it on NOAA or my phone.
This looks pretty good to me........
NOAA Forecast 1-18-23.jpg

KustyTheKlown

so so so pleased that this family trip weekend is looking like we'll have nice snows. i hope they drop ropes on lincoln peak naturals.

also pleased that we all drive tomorrow early-ish and will basically beat the snow.

my sister and her husband are actually skiing mount ellen tomorrow. I'm stoked that they're stoked enough to go up early. i think they may be driving tonight and staying in a hotel

its going to be so weird staying in a nice place, at the mountain, for 3 days, with people. I've come a long way from the white river junction super8

IceEidolon

My only disappointment with their housing project is that they aren't thinking bigger - though this might be as big as they think they can get away with. In the medium term I figure they'll need to house basically all their non-local workforce, themselves and the young non-vacation population is not likely to grow.

IMO they ought to be building apartments for small families/management on the footprint of the single family houses.

tumbler

I wouldn't anticipate any natural opening with that little snow unfortunately, almost all down to bare ground. Maybe Spillsville but I don't think Paradise. Spills get the benefit of some blown over snowmaking from Ripcord. Enjoy the weekend, it will still be fun!

KustyTheKlown

I wouldn't anticipate any natural opening with that little snow unfortunately, almost all down to bare ground. Maybe Spillsville but I don't think Paradise. Spills get the benefit of some blown over snowmaking from Ripcord. Enjoy the weekend, it will still be fun!

im mostly thinking about twist and moonshine and domino. i'd love the almost full suite of super bravo trails to be open.

domino maybe got some blowover from organgrinder

tumbler

im mostly thinking about twist and moonshine and domino. i'd love the almost full suite of super bravo trails to be open.

domino maybe got some blowover from organgrinder
That would be nice, no blowover on Domino, it's around the corner from LOG. Maybe open lower domino, it's low angle. I hope storm over performs and if they open them, I'll be in them.

KustyTheKlown

i just ran google maps from my parents and sisters houses to sugarbush and it says 89 to roxbury gap road. glad i checked. sending them to 89 exit 9, or 87>4>30>7>17. they should be early enough for 17 to not be problemy

tumbler

My only disappointment with their housing project is that they aren't thinking bigger - though this might be as big as they think they can get away with. In the medium term I figure they'll need to house basically all their non-local workforce, themselves and the young non-vacation population is not likely to grow.

IMO they ought to be building apartments for small families/management on the footprint of the single family houses.
I hear you but this is a pretty big project, 192 rooms is not small. Some savings with congregate bathrooms and kitchens but still big. Don't worry the Warern DRB will have this down to 10 bedrooms.

tumbler

i just ran google maps from my parents and sisters houses to sugarbush and it says 89 to roxbury gap road. glad i checked. sending them to 89 exit 9, or 87>4>30>7>17. they should be early enough for 17 to not be problemy
Send them exit 3 and over Camp Brook Rd- Bethel Mtn Rd then up 100. Paved the whole way and not sketchy. Exit 9 too long. Roxbury gap not in good shape.

Hawk

FYI, the mountain already uses the Sugarbush inn to house emplyees and I think they also own and use sugarlodge? This new building coupled with the units they are talking about at the Sugar Cube should make things much better.

cdskier

Apparently Spillsville reopened sometime this morning according to the trail report (unless it is a mistake on the report).