• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Greg

Staff member
Has this thread become the new Sugarbush RSN forum? :lol: Should we start a "Wachusett" and/or "Adirondacks" thread? ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
Has this thread become the new Sugarbush RSN forum? :lol: Should we start a "Wachusett" and/or "Adirondacks" thread? ;)

You're reading my mind here, Greg. :D :wink:

noski

Lostone said:
I was before him on the route,tho I don't know which o'clock it was because... I use digital! :lol: :roll:
Heck, you were so far up the road, you weren't in my time zone, but you weren't too far from Mtn Lady. Good crowd pics, I was able to pick out lots of people I know. The Sugarbush float with the reference to the Sox winning the series and the building of Lincoln Peak fit right in with the Flying Pig float.

daevious

Website
bush.daevious.com
Nice shots, Lostone! And definitely earlier than mine.

BTW, there were problems this morning with flickr.com (where my photos are hosted). The glitches have been fixed, so if you tried the link earlier today and couldn't see much, you might try again now.

daevious

Website
bush.daevious.com
Re: Independence Day

noski said:
... Did anyone notice how clean the town was...? :wink:

Almost didn't catch that comment!

Yes, I did notice and I think it was because of some kind and helpful people walking around with trash bags taking people's sandwich wrappers when they finished eating. :wink:

noski

Re: Independence Day

daevious said:
noski said:
... Did anyone notice how clean the town was...? :wink:

Almost didn't catch that comment!

Yes, I did notice and I think it was because of some kind and helpful people walking around with trash bags taking people's sandwich wrappers when they finished eating. :wink:
:D :D :D How absolutely thoughtful... Further question- did you (any of you) prefer the Sugarbush festivities/fireworks the night before the 4th like they did this year, or did you wish they were on the 4th after parade & dance like prior years?

Lostone

Has this thread become the new Sugarbush RSN forum? Should we start a "Wachusett" and/or "Adirondacks" thread?

Yes, maybe and no? :wink:

Hopefully you don't mind a little extra traffic? Most of us were here beforehand, but the RSN forum going frozen when the Mad River Forum has gone missing leads to little in the way of options in the way of skiing threads.

This thread just gives us a way to keep things about Sugarbush and the area sorta confined. If it is a problem, I think I can come up with another forum. Just that the others are much less based on outdoor activities and get... a little more out there in topics, if you know what I mean.

And besides... Trailboss started it! :lol:

Lostone

Noski, most of the crowd pix were before the parade started. I was scouring the crowd for a buddybadge, and figured I had a few good crowd shots. Always good for getting the feel of things.

I never saw MtnLady there. Didn't see daevious either, and wouldn't know you. :wink: Would have said hi, if I did.

As for the fireworks, I thought the idea of having them on Sunday made a lot more sense, as a lot of people would never have been able to stay, otherwise.

But for me, the choice of going over to North and dealing with that traffic leaving, or missing the fireworks... Were there fireworks? :cry: :wink:

noski

Lostone said:
Noski, most of the crowd pix were before the parade started. I was scouring the crowd for a buddybadge, and figured I had a few good crowd shots. Always good for getting the feel of things.

I never saw MtnLady there. Didn't see daevious either, and wouldn't know you. :wink: Would have said hi, if I did.

As for the fireworks, I thought the idea of having them on Sunday made a lot more sense, as a lot of people would never have been able to stay, otherwise.

But for me, the choice of going over to North and dealing with that traffic leaving, or missing the fireworks... Were there fireworks? :cry: :wink:
Daevious figured me out- see his post. Look harder next year- I will be easier to spot than your BuddyBadge Mate. Mtn Lady and I were both looking for the camera bag. I did find my buddy- that was cool.
I hear you about the crowd at Mt.Ellen. Toward the end, cars were turned away- lot was FULL. Bragg Hill offered good viewing. Fireworks will have to be at Mt E again next year due to construction. (oh, and I noticed in another thread that the word 'monoski' has 'noski' in it- that's me: mo-noski)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lostone said:
Has this thread become the new Sugarbush RSN forum? Should we start a "Wachusett" and/or "Adirondacks" thread?

Hopefully you don't mind a little extra traffic? Most of us were here beforehand, but the RSN forum going frozen when the Mad River Forum has gone missing leads to little in the way of options in the way of skiing threads.

This thread just gives us a way to keep things about Sugarbush and the area sorta confined. If it is a problem, I think I can come up with another forum. Just that the others are much less based on outdoor activities and get... a little more out there in topics, if you know what I mean.

No, you are all welcome! :beer: It's great to see that we can continue discussions about SB and the Valley without Ghostie and his buddies going on a rant about something else :wink: :idea:

I saw some familiar faces, so figured we'd keep the SB discussion going...why stop a good thing? I've heard a lot of compliments about this thread and heck, you can see there is a lot of interest.

Feel free to keep it going on this thread or to start other threads (i.e. "Lincoln Peak Progress" or "Castlerock Lovers only") :wink:

madskier6

Re: Sugarbush Thread

thetrailboss said:
Lostone said:

No, you are all welcome! :beer: It's great to see that we can continue discussions about SB and the Valley without Ghostie and his buddies going on a rant about something else :wink: :idea:

I saw some familiar faces, so figured we'd keep the SB discussion going...why stop a good thing? I've heard a lot of compliments about this thread and heck, you can see there is a lot of interest.

Feel free to keep it going on this thread or to start other threads (i.e. "Lincoln Peak Progress" or "Castlerock Lovers only") :wink:

I'm a little late to the party but I'm glad I found you guys here at AZ! This thread is great. I'm glad we got rid of the Whiteface boys.

As for the 4th, I liked having the fireworks the night before because otherwise, I would have missed them (as someone else has already said).

Cheers!

Lostone

Actually, most of Ghosty's stuff didn't really bother me, or the other guys either. The problem was on that format any amount of banter would push other posts off the board. I just thought it was bad for worthwhile posts to get pushed off by 7th grade drivel. :angry:

(But how do you really feel, Jim?)

In a format such as this one, they could have their own thread and stay out of everyone else's way.

I expect that if the RSN line is ever restarted, it will be in a format similar to this one. I only know of one board that is not in a similar format.

skibum1321

Does anyone else have issues with Sugarbush's exorbitant season pass prices? I just graduated from college and am looking to get my first full adult season pass. While I paid $300 for my Sugarbush pass during college now they want me to pay over $1000. No other resort comes even close to that. While I love Sugarbush, I can get a Smuggs pass for $300 and cannot afford the $1000 for the Bush. That's over a $700 difference. Jay is also significantly less for a full adult pass. Even Stowe, who is known for ripping skiers off is around the same level for a full adult pass and they offer a young adult pass for $700 or $800. It seems to me that Sugarbush would benefit greatly by following Stowe's lead in this category to try and attract the recent college graduates who will someday make enough money to afford that $1000 season pass but are living on limited means for now.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
single adult prices

All the years I sold season passes at the Bush it was a bummer not to be able to offer single adults who are not full time college students much of a deal.

Usually the pricing MO has been to be similar to Stowe.
If you look at the SP's over the past 6-8 years and compare you will find that Summit is giving people overall a better deal than when the Bush was part of ASC. Remember this was before ASC's All East giveaway.

I would email Winn Smith as there is always a chance that if enough people advocate for a young adult pass similar to Stowe's you never know. Can't hurt to try.

Lostone

Here's what I did before I bought my condo.

I would buy a pass at Smuggs and a bronze pass at the bush.

The bush opens before Smuggs and, unless we have a fantastic start, you'll get better skiing early, there. Then, Smuggs usually closes earlier, too. You still won't be able to ski Saturdays, with the bronze, but you'll be able to get your fix.

During the season, I did Smuggs on Saturdays and the Bush on Sundays and Mondays.

It will still cost the same, but you'll get more skiing on more diverse terrain.

They won't beat the ASC prices, but they'll both beat the asc crowds both with numbers and temperament. :wink:

But I second the idea of sending Winn an email. He does read them. And he sees Stowe as his competition.

Lostone

So, speaking of Claybrook, it appears to me that they are preparing the grounds for the next levels of te development, as well as the one coming.

All of the trees behind the Gatehouse have been pulled out. The monster that pulled them out left Friday morning.

They also had a much bigger hole dug at the bottom of Easy Rider, most of which is now filled in. Rumor has it they were digging up the snowmaking pipes and electric, to move them, but that is only a rumor.

Anyone know anything?

djspookman

I noticed those trees out behind the Gatehouse as well.. looks like we may finally be able to ski to the super bravo instead of pole-along.

I heard lots of truck trafic heading up the road this morning, but I don't know anything else as of yet.

thetrailboss

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
Does anyone else have issues with Sugarbush's exorbitant season pass prices? I just graduated from college and am looking to get my first full adult season pass. While I paid $300 for my Sugarbush pass during college now they want me to pay over $1000. No other resort comes even close to that. While I love Sugarbush, I can get a Smuggs pass for $300 and cannot afford the $1000 for the Bush. That's over a $700 difference. Jay is also significantly less for a full adult pass. Even Stowe, who is known for ripping skiers off is around the same level for a full adult pass and they offer a young adult pass for $700 or $800. It seems to me that Sugarbush would benefit greatly by following Stowe's lead in this category to try and attract the recent college graduates who will someday make enough money to afford that $1000 season pass but are living on limited means for now.

Yep, my concern with them as well and I've been saying it all along...too expensive. Look to Jay, Burke, MRG or even Bolton for passes...SB too expensive IMHO. Good terrain and all, but getting overpriced by day or regular season.

As for me...I've only been to the 'bush on comps or the old Warren Miller promo (now scrapped) since I was a college passholder in 2002-3. Part of growing up I guess :roll:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
djspookman said:
I noticed those trees out behind the Gatehouse as well.. looks like we may finally be able to ski to the super bravo instead of pole-along.

I heard lots of truck trafic heading up the road this morning, but I don't know anything else as of yet.
Just wish they'd put up pics on the lincoln peak village website... if they're gonna put the effort into making a "look at the status" page, they might as well update it... really wanna see what it's looking like...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Strat said:
djspookman said:

Just wish they'd put up pics on the lincoln peak village website... if they're gonna put the effort into making a "look at the status" page, they might as well update it... really wanna see what it's looking like...

Well, if you're in the Valley, why not just drive or bike up there and check it out?