• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I take it that you have a spreadsheet documenting the accelerated number of folks tree skiing? Perhaps an Excel spreadsheet?

;)

At this moment:

View attachment 56269
To be fair, a vast number of those 330 "guests" are likely bots (search engines, etc). Also interesting that it showed I was "online" at the time you posted that as I hadn't looked at this forum for a couple hours at that point. I do leave it open in a browser window though, so maybe that is enough for it to think someone is "online" even if they're not actively browsing the forum.

And as someone else pointed out, social media (even by SB themselves) likely has 1000x more views/impact (if not even more) than this forum. I'm personally indifferent one way or the other on what people post here about woods/Slide Brook/etc. My only argument is that it what is posted here likely impacts under 1% of the people that actually go in those spots when they perhaps shouldn't.

ThatGuy

My view on it is that you shouldn’t be giving specific information unless its in the dms. But at this point general stuff is so widely available that its doing more help than harm to give tips (stuff like how to avoid ending up on 242 at Jay; or that trying to go off Spruce peak without a local who is very familiar with it is a dangerous idea). If its saving ski patrol+other ems personnel time and resources thats a positive.

ThatGuy

People see a video of someone shredding Paradise Chutes, Birthday Bowls, Bracket Basin, Big Jay, ect. and they want to do it.
If you’re looking for info here you most likely are already more informed than 99% of people on social media.

Hawk

My point was this. Why tell people that slidebrook is good when it really isn't. I know it wasn't good because I did it once and was not impressed. Mind you my tolerance is very high. It sucks for ski patrol to get people out of there and there were a few rescues this weekend. Just a little more snow and then you can praise how good it is all you want. I did see people snow plowing and had to laugh. WTF. :-0

mikec142

I was planning on heading up again this weekend, but the weather is not looking promising. Ugh.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My point was this. Why tell people that slidebrook is good when it really isn't. I know it wasn't good because I did it once and was not impressed. Mind you my tolerance is very high. It sucks for ski patrol to get people out of there and there were a few rescues this weekend. Just a little more snow and then you can praise how good it is all you want. I did see people snow plowing and had to laugh. WTF. :-0
It's not good to have (limited) ski patrol resources doing rescues in Slidebrook when the rest of the resort is busy,

cdskier

I had re-read what was said because I couldn't even remember exactly what people said about Slide Brook at this point recently. One person said it "was not too bad" and another responded to that saying they "heard that" and that "the trees were filling in nicely". So realistically, I wouldn't consider either of those comments as meaning it is "good". I agree no one should say it is "good" if it isn't, although "good" is also a bit subjective unfortunately. It would probably take a lot more snow for me to say something is "good" compared to some others on this forum. (Myself I've been mentioning several times how many water bars there still are even on marked trails at lower elevations...) But people also need to have some common sense and take whatever they read/see on the Internet with a grain of salt. Unless you know someone personally and know their skill/comfort level, etc, you shouldn't just blindly listen to one or two people saying it "wasn't bad" to mean it is in great shape for everyone to "send it".

Lotso

Slide Brook opening this weekend? Maybe Sunday but no way for me Friday or Saturday with temps coming in... Maybe they will not run it if that cold

cdskier

They will not.
Yup...they never run it if the temp along the line is not above a certain value. There was a sign at least at the loading terminal on the LP side that used to list that out (and might still do so). I can't recall the exact temperature it needs to be, but this Saturday for sure will be well below that.

1dog

Yup...they never run it if the temp along the line is not above a certain value. There was a sign at least at the loading terminal on the LP side that used to list that out (and might still do so). I can't recall the exact temperature it needs to be, but this Saturday for sure will be well below that.
5 degrees was the threshold in the past. I'm sure wind chill has to factor in as well.

Imagine being stuck over deepest ravine - 50'? above it in between towers? For a couple hours. . . . wife was on HG 10 or so years ago - last one off - 90 mins plus.

djd66

5 degrees was the threshold in the past. I'm sure wind chill has to factor in as well.

Imagine being stuck over deepest ravine - 50'? above it in between towers? For a couple hours. . . . wife was on HG 10 or so years ago - last one off - 90 mins plus.
I was on that HG lift evac with my 7 Y/O son,… it was brutal cold. Pushing your kid off the chair as not fun either!

Kleetus

How do folks think the bush will be skiing Sunday-Tuesday? Was thinking of heading up and taking Monday and Tuesday off to get at it before the warm up but they haven't had a refresh in a while. Likely hit Gore Saturday as it's on the way and it's going to be brutally cold but not as cold there so lifts may spin.