• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

Ide be happy with a deli besides Paradise to stop at on the way home.
At Stowe the Edelweisse rules...

crank

Warren Store isn't too far but I understand if it's out of the way. I've never been to Motha Stuffers in the village.

We have a fantastic deli about 1/4 mile from our house. Unfortunately our house is 5.5 hours from Sugarbush.

cdskier

Ide be happy with a deli besides Paradise to stop at on the way home.
At Stowe the Edelweisse rules...

Mutha Stuffers right in the SB Village. Not going to get the creativity of Edelweiss, but great "NY-style" deli sandwiches. I think they're closed Tuesday/Wednesday.

Also for sandwiches, Mehurons in Waitsfield should not be overlooked. Best bang for the buck around and they make a very good sandwich. Some nice creative options too on their menu.

teleo

Another SB homie hanging at JHMR. It was awesome today.

We do need more restaurants in the valley. We don't even try anymore in winter.

cdskier

Just looked at the snow report...they said they're firing up the snow-guns tonight on Inverness and Brambles. So basically making snow for the racers. That's not even worth calling out in the report as it doesn't impact the majority of people skiing at SB.

Smellytele

About 35 minutes from my condo which puts it at over an hour round trip (assuming weather is ok)... That's double compared to eating anywhere within the MRV.

But why should people have to leave the valley to eat? Just a couple pages ago people were saying that the valley needs more lodging on/close to the mountain. If you want more lodging, you also need more local places to eat. You can't tell everyone to go to Waterbury for dinner. That isn't an answer.
As someone said it isn’t all about being open during the ski season but year round. Just isn’t enough customers year round to make it work.

cdskier

As someone said it isn’t all about being open during the ski season but year round. Just isn’t enough customers year round to make it work.
Some restaurants do even better in the summer than winter. I'm good friends with the owner of Peasant for example and he would often tell me how business in the summer was more consistently good while winter would be very good Fri/Sat, but the other nights he was open it would drop off quite a bit. Biggest problem right now that he has is finding help. The demand for the restaurants is there. But the help to staff them isn't.

gladerider

Some restaurants do even better in the summer than winter. I'm good friends with the owner of Peasant for example and he would often tell me how business in the summer was more consistently good while winter would be very good Fri/Sat, but the other nights he was open it would drop off quite a bit. Biggest problem right now that he has is finding help. The demand for the restaurants is there. But the help to staff them isn't.

i didn't realize the staffing was that much of a problem up there. oh boy.
is Peasants closing for the season or for good? that place was on my list to visit. saw some good reviews.

i wouldn't drive to waterbury to eat dinner. that's not an option. i am taking some notes tho for next time.

nelsapbm

Is the App Gap a psychological barrier of sorts? Easy drive over to Bristol for Tillerman and Bobcat Cafe. I live on the Bristol side and we head to the valley fairly often. Off-season tho.

jaybird

just came back from SB for the long weekend. i have been taking my family up for MLK and Prez wknd to avoid Killington traffic the past couple of years.
i gotta say, i love the mountain but the dining options really suck. got lucky on Friday with hide away. knew it would be a zoo so we cooked dinner on Saturday. was hoping for a little luck on Sunday. the american flatbread told us no table, of course. then the wait for the take out was 3 hours. :oops:

so went to mad tacos. waited 2 hours to pick up the tacos. oh boy. one thing the big K has going is that even on long wknds, much better when it comes to dining options. and i know that many establishments at the big K closes at the end of the season. hope it improves at SB.

cdskier

i didn't realize the staffing was that much of a problem up there. oh boy.
is Peasants closing for the season or for good? that place was on my list to visit. saw some good reviews.

i wouldn't drive to waterbury to eat dinner. that's not an option. i am taking some notes tho for next time.

Peasant is closing for good (unless someone else buys it...it is for sale and has been for a while but there's been no interest). Awesome restaurant and my personal favorite...so that's a big loss and disappointment for me. They've been there 10 years and the owner is just ready to move on.

cdskier

And real coffee. I couldnt believe it when I found that paradise didn’t have a proper espresso machine.

Three Mountain Cafe? Sweet Spot? Both in Waitsfield and both have real coffee (and espresso). (Although they would be more of a morning stop as they close early afternoon)

Edit...Three Mountain is open until 3:30 on weekends apparently, so that's still an option for coffee after skiing unless you ski until closing

jaybird

K may have dining options but the resort is like a factory. We ski there now and then usually early and late season. Decades spent on their brutal grooming.

If you seek limited dining options, then Revekstoke will appeal to you. Although after skiing all day we were too beat up to consider doing much other than rest. Hot tub, dinner and bed. The place is wicked tall. They need more lifts.Try as we might, unable to run nonstop top to bottom. >30k vert each day. Made the leader board. Would not rate it top 5 resorts we have visited.

HowieT2

if you're not familiar with the protocols, I can see how the dining situation can be frustrating. You have to get your reservations or orders in to flatbread and mad taco early.
second the sandwich's from mehurons.
warren store isnt what it used to be.
Canteen creemee is awesome. best dang fried chicken this side of the green mountains

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is the App Gap a psychological barrier of sorts? Easy drive over to Bristol for Tillerman and Bobcat Cafe. I live on the Bristol side and we head to the valley fairly often. Off-season tho.
Well, unless things have changed, it is a short drive distance-wise but really tricky with the turns and the weather. They used to plow it frequently when Jim Douglas was Governor because it IS a great shortcut to get to Montpelier from Addison County. I drove it frequently to get from Middlebury to Sugarbush or the NEK.

When I lived on Lake Dunmore I would usually take 125.

But I’ve had more than my share of interesting drives in the weather on Route 17. I love that drive though!

cdskier

I'd say the vast majority of people never even think about driving over the gap to go to dinner. Personally I really don't have any interest in planning a dinner with a drive involving going over App Gap in the winter. For fun I just checked Google maps. From my condo to Tillerman would be about 30-35 minutes. So again basically the same as going to Waterbury which is over double pretty much going to anywhere within the Warren/Waitsfield area.

if you're not familiar with the protocols, I can see how the dining situation can be frustrating. You have to get your reservations or orders in to flatbread and mad taco early.
second the sandwich's from mehurons.
warren store isnt what it used to be.
Canteen creemee is awesome. best dang fried chicken this side of the green mountains

Agree on all these points. Thought it was just me thinking Warren store isn't what it used to be. Flatbread dining just isn't the same anymore either though and I've resorted to limiting myself to takeout there now. Flatbread's another place that cites staffing issues for not having gone back to "normal". Even this week being a holiday week they didn't have the staff to open all week like they usually would and stuck with the normal non-holiday operating schedule.

HowieT2

K may have dining options but the resort is like a factory. We ski there now and then usually early and late season. Decades spent on their brutal grooming.

If you seek limited dining options, then Revekstoke will appeal to you. Although after skiing all day we were too beat up to consider doing much other than rest. Hot tub, dinner and bed. The place is wicked tall. They need more lifts.Try as we might, unable to run nonstop top to bottom. >30k vert each day. Made the leader board. Would not rate it top 5 resorts we have visited.
I've heard similar things about revy. Are you there now? getting snow?
go to nelson. more dining options than u can imagine.

KustyTheKlown

Three Mountain Cafe? Sweet Spot? Both in Waitsfield and both have real coffee (and espresso). (Although they would be more of a morning stop as they close early afternoon)

Edit...Three Mountain is open until 3:30 on weekends apparently, so that's still an option for coffee after skiing unless you ski until closing

Comment limited to access road. I often approach from the south on 100 and just want a latte with like 8 shots in it