• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

dlague

We need someone to hike up and take a pic of the unloading zone. Very interested in how this works given its below VH Traverse yet gives access to Steins, Snowball and Reverse Traverse.

My guess coming off the lift you will be dumped on VH Traverse?

vonski

If you go to google earth the latest image is from mid May. The old lift is gone and the blasting is done. The new lift terminates below the old lift termination. The people coming off the traverse will go behind the lift to snowball and if you want the Mall or Steins you turn left. They have graded out the area to make this all run smooth.

slatham

There are two "traverses"'. VH traverse, which will be above the unload area with direct access to Snowball without crossing lift unload area. My question/curiosity is how the unload area connects to Reverse Traverse (and Stiens) to uploading skiers right, and to Snowball from unloading skiers left.

vonski

Thanks Plowboy. for posting the image! Also there will be no need to go under the lift anymore to get to snowball! as you can see in the picture. Now you go behind it. Much better flow!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Get off lift....Go left to Snowball....Go right to Steins!

So as I am skiing down VH Traverse, at sub-Tuna Speed, and decide I want to go down Stein's or Reverse Traverse, do I take a hard left before encountering the top of the lift, or make a "U-Turn" and ski just past the top of the lift, dodge the skiers and riders offloading, and continue on?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like the former to me. And the folks that want to head on to Spring Fling stay up above the lift as the VH traverse would be separated from the lift unload zone. Perfect design fixing a real problem area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like the former to me. And the folks that want to head on to Spring Fling stay up above the lift as the VH traverse would be separated from the lift unload zone. Perfect design fixing a real problem area.

No doubt it was a serious problem. I guess it will be interesting having two-way traffic on that area right off the top of the lift.

Plowboy

The top terminal will be closer to the top of the Mall. So, I don't think plan B will work.

Attachments

• vh2.jpg
    vh2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 139

slatham

My understanding, which may be way off base, is the unload area would be further down the Mall from where the "star" is. Closer to the area between the two "arrows" pointing down the Mall. I think I am getting this from having read that the unload area would be where the top most VH lift tower was that was on the Mall (vs the one's up on on the traverse). Hence my desire to see a pic of where things are being set up etc.

cdskier

My understanding, which may be way off base, is the unload area would be further down the Mall from where the "star" is. Closer to the area between the two "arrows" pointing down the Mall. I think I am getting this from having read that the unload area would be where the top most VH lift tower was that was on the Mall (vs the one's up on on the traverse). Hence my desire to see a pic of where things are being set up etc.

That was pretty much my understanding...

rocks860

Hiked up there on Friday and took a few pictures

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439760898.008836.jpg
Coming down vh traverse towards that last turn before where the old unload area used to be. They blasted out a bunch of that corner and made it much wider

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439760962.928760.jpg
Around that corner

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439761003.675424.jpg
Looking down from where vh traverse comes out

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439761033.435387.jpg
What's left of the old lift shack

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439760988.863194.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439760988.863194.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 114

dlague

Reverse Traverse to Stein's, VH Traverse will still have a drop into Stein's. Look at their trail map the have it highlighted.

HowieT2