• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

The KS effect in full swing for y'all..
Me..have to wait to at least tuesday for a snowflake...

Hawk

Trailside. Ducky that was a great location and place. To bad you didn't hold onto it. Last couple of years houses over there are selling for a mint!

pinnoke

Greetings from Montana/Idaho, Sugarbush Friends! Ski The East / Ski The West, it don't matter! Discovered 'Discovery Ski Area' today. Thursday/Friday at Whitefish (with former Sugarbush and MRG instructor Jerry Griffiths...anyone know him?). Lookout Pass is Monday's plan before 3 days to conclude trip at Schweitzer...aaaahhhhhhh. I hope the skiing is awesome and uncrowded for y'all this coming mid-week!

Attachments

• withJerry.jpg
    withJerry.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greetings from Montana/Idaho, Sugarbush Friends! Ski The East / Ski The West, it don't matter! Discovered 'Discovery Ski Area' today. Thursday/Friday at Whitefish (with former Sugarbush and MRG instructor Jerry Griffiths...anyone know him?). Lookout Pass is Monday's plan before 3 days to conclude trip at Schweitzer...aaaahhhhhhh. I hope the skiing is awesome and uncrowded for y'all this coming mid-week!
Disco is a favorite of mine.

mikec142

CD, Are the glades you pictured with the guy in green the ones on skier's left of Domino (Lew's Line, Ruffed Up, Wood Lot? Or are they the next ones down, Wild Turkey, Big Birch?

I'm a creature of habit (I need to break that) and when the glades are good, I love Eden, Deeper Sleeper, and Semi-Tough. And if conditions are good I'm usually jumping on Castlerock, Paradise, Moonshine, etc.

I've skied the ones I mentioned above, but never in great conditions so I haven't been incentivized to go back. I guess that part of that is that unless conditions are great, I'm staying away from Domino (and that headwall) so I'm never really tempted to try those glades, whereas even in bad/average conditions, I'm still skiing past Eden and Sleeper and I might be convinced to venture into those glades.

I guess I never really thought about it too much, but when conditions aren't great at SB, I find that I'm skiing the same few trails, but when conditions are good, the choices are almost overwhelming. Do I lap Castlerock? Do I do Paradise and Organgrinder? Do I spend time in the glades? Do I do the lower mountain naturals that I love like Twist, Moonshine, The Mall, Domino? Or do I get crazy (for me) and head over to Mount Ellen which I know less well and ski trails like Exterminator, etc. Can't forget Slidebrook too.

cdskier

CD, Are the glades you pictured with the guy in green the ones on skier's left of Domino (Lew's Line, Ruffed Up, Wood Lot? Or are they the next ones down, Wild Turkey, Big Birch?

I'm a creature of habit (I need to break that) and when the glades are good, I love Eden, Deeper Sleeper, and Semi-Tough. And if conditions are good I'm usually jumping on Castlerock, Paradise, Moonshine, etc.

I've skied the ones I mentioned above, but never in great conditions so I haven't been incentivized to go back. I guess that part of that is that unless conditions are great, I'm staying away from Domino (and that headwall) so I'm never really tempted to try those glades, whereas even in bad/average conditions, I'm still skiing past Eden and Sleeper and I might be convinced to venture into those glades.

I guess I never really thought about it too much, but when conditions aren't great at SB, I find that I'm skiing the same few trails, but when conditions are good, the choices are almost overwhelming. Do I lap Castlerock? Do I do Paradise and Organgrinder? Do I spend time in the glades? Do I do the lower mountain naturals that I love like Twist, Moonshine, The Mall, Domino? Or do I get crazy (for me) and head over to Mount Ellen which I know less well and ski trails like Exterminator, etc. Can't forget Slidebrook too.

Yea, those are on skier's left of Domino. I typically ski halfway down Domino and then enter them where Domino makes the turn to go down towards Lower Domino. So I guess that's Ruffed Up technically at that point. FWIW, Domino was excellent on Saturday as well. Probably the best I've seen it in a while.

I tend to be a creature of habit as well and often stick to many of the same glades/trails you mention. Past couple years I've tried to branch out a bit more into areas like Ruffed Up, Lew's Line, Big Birch, etc. Although Domino (and especially Lower Domino when conditions in general are only average) is one of my favorite natural trails.

Never even made it to Mt Ellen this weekend.

Kingslug20

Last place I skied before leaving was Ellen..awesome...wish I was there now!
Semi tough was great..

tumbler

Groomed Walt's was a lot of fun yesterday as was Inverness with no racing on it.

KustyTheKlown

europe's having it rough. a buddy who lives in colorado and wanted to join me on my recent jackson sun valley utah jaunt had a conflicting trip to ski in Italy with his girlfriend and her family. no snow whatsoever.

Hawk

I just came back from the Dolimiti and there was plenty of existing snow to ski off piste. No new snow but that did not matter. I had a really great time, got a tan skied shit loads of chaleging terrain and ate like a king. Nothing wrong with that. anyway it is snowing now so hopefully mister Slug comes back with stories.IMG_0462.jpgIMG_0434.jpg

KustyTheKlown

nice. that looks fun. my buddy is kind of a noob and probably wasn't straying off piste and was also prob too dumb to know where to look for snow.

I'm back at work and my goggle tan is the talk of the town

Hawk

You are correct that most places in europe are at a deficit but skiing over there is so diversce compaired to the US resorts. In 5000 feet of vert, you can always find a zone worth skiing and the adventure factor is off the map.

Kingslug20

Waiting for the snow..got a guide for tomorrow...then maybe the rest of the week..
These crowded groomers make killingyon on a Saturday seem empty...and holy canoly..they cant ski for shit...20230307_124300.jpg20230307_124259.jpg20230307_121840.jpg

Attachments

• 20230307_121834.jpg
    20230307_121834.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Kingslug20

No idea..just snapped a fast pic.
It...is now...dumping...
If this doesn't prove the KS effect I don't know what does...