• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

thats awesome. im glad you are all getting it good on a wednesday.

i am consoled by the fact that i just skied 13 days of deep western powder.

low expectations for this weekend with friday's lil mess, but i am so glad we have a lot of snow for a good ole freeze thaw spring cycle now. i think I'm gonna do jay saturday if they are truly going to escape the R and warm up

HowieT2

thats awesome. im glad you are all getting it good on a wednesday.

i am consoled by the fact that i just skied 13 days of deep western powder.

low expectations for this weekend with friday's lil mess, but i am so glad we have a lot of snow for a good ole freeze thaw spring cycle now. i think I'm gonna do jay saturday if they are truly going to escape the R and warm up
fair chance the mtn stays below freezing friday. close call for sure but not a done deal by any means.

Kingslug20

Castlerock..first run cr to cotillion...then middle earth which was not as good...but still pretty good...
He'll everything was good..

elfnif1016

castlerock run groomed with pow on the top is something i have luckily had the privilege of enjoying
I remember a time (maybe 10 years ago in mid March) where they groomed Castlerock and Middle Earth on a Sunday prior to an anticipated storm that evening into Monday. It was kind of weird, but in a good way. Did not have the option of remote work back then, so we had to go home and missed the powder day that followed on Monday or Tuesday. Was back the following weekend, and it was back to normal bumps up on the Castlerock trails.

djd66

I remember a time (maybe 10 years ago in mid March) where they groomed Castlerock and Middle Earth on a Sunday prior to an anticipated storm that evening into Monday. It was kind of weird, but in a good way. Did not have the option of remote work back then, so we had to go home and missed the powder day that followed on Monday or Tuesday. Was back the following weekend, and it was back to normal bumps up on the Castlerock trails.
I remember the storm you are talking about,... March of 2017. I drove home on Sunday night, dropped off the family only to turn around Monday afternoon to be there for the monster storm. Fortunately my wife is well aware - No Parenting on a Powder Day!

WinS

Dan is a great guy and awesome groomer. He is winch operator on first shift and is the one who does Ripcord most evenings. Dan passed me on the way to work the other day, and we were discussing that this might be the ideal night to groom CR and Middle Earth. Later he sent me the a shot of the grooming plan that which those trails on the schedule. I wanted to get to the mountain early, but I got behind some really slow drivers and ended up back in the line at CR. I missed what must have been a terrific first run with 6” or more over the flattened surface. But it was still great, and since few go down LCR I found some fresh tracks there. Everything, trails and woods, were amazing yesterday. Sorry so many of you had to work.

jaybird

CR is moderately bumpy.
Now that most of the debris is finally covered, the various wooded selections are possible and worth the hiking.

.. and Yes ! Dan Paquette is one great Sugarbush employee .. many of you other ones are sorely missed 😉

Sigi's & Dise will be sensational today!

mikec142

I remember the storm you are talking about,... March of 2017. I drove home on Sunday night, dropped off the family only to turn around Monday afternoon to be there for the monster storm. Fortunately my wife is well aware - No Parenting on a Powder Day!
I remember this storm too. I skied at Sugarbush the Saturday and Sunday after the storm and to this day, those were some of the best east coast ski days I've had. Lower Castlerock was insane.

mikec142

Anyone have thoughts about this weekend. I'm like 87% chance that I'm driving up, but it's 5.5 hours. I was there last weekend and Friday's forecast is bumming me out. Predictions on the conditions for the weekend?

KustyTheKlown

Anyone have thoughts about this weekend. I'm like 87% chance that I'm driving up, but it's 5.5 hours. I was there last weekend and Friday's forecast is bumming me out. Predictions on the conditions for the weekend?

I’m going all the way to jay to try and get above it. But even if Friday is wet, groomers will ski fine especially by Sunday, and hopefully the high sun can warm naturals by the afternoon. Not ideal but def not sitting this weekend out on account of a lil lite rain Friday. My only question is Jay v cannon v Sugarbush v bolton for Saturday and killington v stratton v magic for Sunday

VTSkiBike

The reality is any showers on Friday and freezing temps Friday night will equal frozen crust on Saturday before the temps warm up.

I just did a local backcountry lap this morning and the snow is starting getting a bit heavy.

I'll be out there all weekend per usual. Saturday will be nice soft bumps and trees once it softens and Sunday might be a hard, fast groomer day.

Smellytele

I’m going all the way to jay to try and get above it. But even if Friday is wet, groomers will ski fine especially by Sunday, and hopefully the high sun can warm naturals by the afternoon. Not ideal but def not sitting this weekend out on account of a lil lite rain Friday. My only question is Jay v cannon v Sugarbush v bolton for Saturday and killington v stratton v magic for Sunday
Bode fest at Cannon on Saturday...

ducky

Saw them cutting the new Reverse Traverse. They missed the opportunity to leave some nice strategic big Birches standing and create a more gladed vibe. Instead it's a clear cut run. Sad to see. It could have felt more like Murphy's or Sleeper and the trees might have slowed people down from just bombing it to get across.

STREETSKIER

Saw them cutting the new Reverse Traverse. They missed the opportunity to leave some nice strategic big Birches standing and create a more gladed vibe. Instead it's a clear cut run. Sad to see. It could have felt more like Murphy's or Sleeper and the trees might have slowed people down from just bombing it to get across.
What a waste Iliked the old way. Character gone