• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Smellytele

I am very skeptical of Amazon no-name brand items. They are usually cheap knock-offs and are probably the result of someone stealing intellectual property of someone else and doing a terrible job of replicating it.
I agree with this. I always buy brand name goggles but not the over priced ones or the low priced ones. Try something in the middle. Will not spend $100 or on them as I know no matter how hard I try I will scratch them. Too many times I have them on my helmet bend into the car to grab something and bang them. Do the same with sunglasses on my hat. Never pay more than $50 on sunglasses

KustyTheKlown

I agree with this. I always buy brand name goggles but not the over priced ones or the low priced ones. Try something in the middle. Will not spend $100 or on them as I know no matter how hard I try I will scratch them. Too many times I have them on my helmet bend into the car to grab something and bang them. Do the same with sunglasses on my hat. Never pay more than $50 on sunglasses

until recently i used mid-market smiths from evo. its just annoying to not know exactly how big a frame is gonna be when you order online. i find that its a bit of trial and error. because in my experience, the stores don't really stock the mid-market, they only stock the very low and very high end stuff.

i ended up with my new oakleys because my aging mid-market smith (the vice model maybe?) fogged up on a powder day and wouldn't get better, and the extra goggles were in the car which was so far away in the middle of a jackson powder day. went in and custied (sidebar - that word is the derivation of my username) hard on a pair of oakleys.

i don't feel bad about it tho, because i can replace the lens on the oakley frames for $85. so yea it sucks buying a $200 frame, especially unexpectedly, but the quality is obvious and the replacement lenses arent so bad

i do the same shit with the goggles hitting the car. they spend a lot of time on the brim of my helmet. the other day at sunday river i wore ray bans and the goggles never came off the helmet.

Kingslug20

Got pretty mushy today down low...
Semi tough was a mush fest but I like that run..20230322_132846.jpg20230322_132841.jpg20230322_132838.jpg

Boxtop Willie

Did Mt Ellen 11 to 1;30. Excellent Spring snow. Cliffs was run of the day at 1.
Cruiser, Looking Good, Rim Run didn't suck either.
Took Slide Brook back. Kinda mushy and sticky on the Lincoln side.

STREETSKIER

Ripcord was the run of the day
Top spring day with full snowpack
26000 vert

Attachments

• 40A223BA-E73A-49C3-AE37-EF7CC9BB8AF2.jpeg
    40A223BA-E73A-49C3-AE37-EF7CC9BB8AF2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

cdskier

Was at Stowe today. Took a while, but finally softened up over there by around 11-11:30. I still prefer how at Sugarbush you can focus more on a "pod" that has the right conditions whereas at Stowe on days like today you're sort of forced to ski all conditions at once. When the bottom is soft and ideal, you still have to go up top and ski the firm stuff to get there. When the top softens up, now you have to deal with the bottom half being a bit too soft and sticky. I know some people prefer long continuous top to bottom runs, but I'll take slightly shorter pods any day...

Every time I go somewhere else, it just reinforces my opinion that Sugarbush is the ideal mountain for me and I made the right decision making SB my home mountain (not to say I didn't have fun at Stowe today...but I just don't get as much enjoyment out of it as I get out of Sugarbush)

Kingslug20

Saw 2 things I found imppresive..
Yesterday a guy skiing backwards down rip cord..the whole way...wasn't a kid.
Today a kid skiing down encore which is a fairly steep mogul run..no poles..hands in his pockets..like it was nothing..looked bored.
Some pretty good skiers out there..

Hawk

Spent the morning making a sauce with meatballs and saugage and fresh pasta. Heading out now to see what is up on the hill. Then a littlel apre and pasta with a nice aged Barberesco. Yum! Not a perfect day but we will make due. ;-)

CD is my inspiration.

rocks860

Just got up here and dropped our stuff off at eagles. Grabbing some food at canteen creemee based on some comments I saw on here. Snow just started

cdskier

Spent the morning making a sauce with meatballs and saugage and fresh pasta. Heading out now to see what is up on the hill. Then a littlel apre and pasta with a nice aged Barberesco. Yum! Not a perfect day but we will make due. ;-)

CD is my inspiration.

Sounds delicious! I have a 2012 Barbaresco back home in NJ that I've been holding onto for a bit. Tonight I'll be making an Orecchiette with Artichoke Hearts and Bacon recipe that I found from Wine Spectator. Going to pair it with a Gruner.

I was out at 8am this morning. Lincoln Peak was relatively empty. Mainly just a groomer day. Also first time in a while that I can remember Murphy's being groomed edge to edge even all the way along the whole skier's right side.

Edd

oakley flight decks are huge. i actually felt they were too big and opted for the flight deck xm which is their medium sized version
Bought the Flight Decks M recently which are sized well for me. Came with clear Prizm and rose-gold Prizm lenses. On day 2 I bent over to put my ski bag on a shelf and the lightest of grazes gave them a scratch. This is a lesson I've learned before about buying pricey goggles not being worth it. Their Ridgelock lens switching system is dumb bullshit compared to the ease of other brands. Not something to be done on a lift.

I bought Glade goggles last year and used them for about 25 days. They transition from light to dark so no lens change. They were $100 and liked them alot. I woke up the day after a wet day at Burke, realized I forgotten to remove them from my bag to dry so they were pretty soaked. I absent-mindedly wiped the moisture from the inside and that was that for those. I'm going back to Glade once the Oakleys piss me off enough.

bill-now

Any guesses as to the name of the trail to replace Reverse Traverse? I've heard that Traversey McTraverseface is under consideration.

• Haha
Reactions: Edd

cdskier

Amazing what simply a few inches of dense snow can do. Lot of fun out there today. Stein's had a fairly decent amount of snow on skier's right.

DS7_0135r.jpgDS7_0149r.jpgDS7_0152r.jpgDS7_0162r.jpgDS7_0166r.jpg

Also pretty empty today. Even with Super Bravo on wind hold most of the morning I never waited more than a few minutes at Valley House.

LuckyStrike

I finally got to SB yesterday. What a mountain. Great vibe. I felt like I was at Vermont’s local hill. When I told ppl that it was my first time there they would get excited and give me all sorts of trail/glade/lift/apres tips. Really a “glad you made it” feeling from them.