• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

The luge chutes are what freaks me out...I candle almost anything if I have some options...
It's like the traverse to the kitchen wall at Stowe...that sux...once in there it's better.

cdskier

And now the snow has started again. Still above freezing at my elevation, yet coming down hard enough to already be sticking to pretty much everything.

LuckyStrike

Does anyone know how the weather will play out this weekend? I'm close to booking a room at the White Horse Lodge but not sure if it's worth the 4 hour drive. The rain on Saturday Morning doesn't bother me. I can sleep in a bit later and get up to Mt Ellen around 10. Sunday is what worries me. If there is a freeze on Saturday night will Sugarbush groom some trails for Sunday skiing? I know weather questions are annoying so any advice would be appreciated.

Hawk

National Weather Service point forecast for an elevation of 3000' so Allyns elevation is this:
Screenshot 2023-03-30 080410.jpg
It's going to be pretty much steady rain until noon and then showers the rest of the day with wind. Then the front is going to blow through and the temps are going to the teens over night. I can't say it will be good. It will be what it is wishfull thinking aside.

cdskier

Agree with Hawk...I would not expect Sunday to be that good. Yes they will groom, but the first groom after a significant thaw/freeze event doesn't often yield great conditions. Also a lot depends on the exact timing of the temp dropping. If it drops too late, you'll either be left with less stuff groomed if they try to wait until after the re-freeze or you'll be left with frozen groomed solid trails if they were groomed prior to the snow surface fully setting up. We had similar weather a couple weeks ago and I took I think 4 runs that day and went back to my condo.

rocks860

Was thinking about getting out there today for my last day this week but I’m leaning towards tomorrow instead. Seems like it’s going to be very cold and windy today

KustyTheKlown

dont wanna be too rude to a new guy, but, new guy - common sense dude. heavy rain followed by rapidly dropping temps equals shit skiing

i have a work conference i need to report to at 1 pm Sunday and i am counting my lucky stars that its this weekend and wasn't last weekend or next weekend

edit - based on avatar it appears new guy is a snowboarder, so fuck 'em

cdskier

Was thinking about getting out there today for my last day this week but I’m leaning towards tomorrow instead. Seems like it’s going to be very cold and windy today

Today was quite delightful. Didn't feel anywhere near as cold as I was expecting. Wind was really not bad either. Only a couple windy spots. Relatively sunny. No one on the mountain. Even Castlerock was pretty nice with the couple inches of snow on top of the bumps.

cdskier

What'd ya get lower Castlerock untracked? :)
Lower CR had a few tracks. That completely untracked photo was was Troll run LOL. It was around 11 or 11:30 and untracked and I hadn't skied it this year...so figured what the heck, may as well ski it. I actually forgot how much looping back and forth that trail does. My next ride up the chair there was a second set of tracks on it though...so guess someone followed not far behind me down it.

ducky

Cutt's Peak Slide today before Ellen closes. Steep entry and sketchy runout through back end of Deep Pocket but worth the trip. Still lots of snow in the woods and fresh tracks to be found.

cdskier

Too bad it is going to turn to rain...snowing pretty hard right now. Looks like about 2" on the steps leading up to the condo above mine that I can see out my window and the Allyn's lodge stake is showing 3" so far.