• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Madbush Falls is a partnership with the Outdoor Gear Exchange. I have only heard good things. Have not been in yet. IF all goes well it will be the beginning of getting the valley something that could propel it into a real summer destination like KT. Maybe.

1dog

Egans Big World was awesome in the late 90s when I lived there.
rate it better than Castlerock Pub back then too - outside of the Barn, cool place for a beer - I don't even remember the food - atmosphere was the draw for us.

HowieT2

Madbush Falls is a partnership with the Outdoor Gear Exchange. I have only heard good things. Have not been in yet. IF all goes well it will be the beginning of getting the valley something that could propel it into a real summer destination like KT. Maybe.
OGX runs the gear shop and rentals. The restaurant bar and accommodations is owned by one of the founders of skinny pancake. We went there multiple times in august. highly recommend. Food was good and interesting menu items. Outdoor bar space is great.
The new trail "Goodnight Irene" is accessed not far from madbush on the other side of 100.

I think the valley is a summer destination already but its the valley as a whole and Sugarbush the resort is only a part of that. Can't really compare to KT.

urungus

KustyTheKlown

“420” and “69” references in Sugarbushs latest Instagram post starring 8 year old girl … swipe to second photo … WTF

i saw that and thought a lot about it was very weird. aside from meme numbers, mainly that they'd advertise their own walk up rates as being so outrageous, even hyperbolically.

thetrailboss

Staff member
i saw that and thought a lot about it was very weird. aside from meme numbers, mainly that they'd advertise their own walk up rates as being so outrageous, even hyperbolically.
Yeah, I know that it is meant to be cute and all, but I thought it missed the mark personally.

cdskier

Tough crowd...I thought it was pretty hilarious. Some people over-analyze a bit too...the whole 420.69 thing didn't even register at all with me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tough crowd...I thought it was pretty hilarious. Some people over-analyze a bit too...the whole 420.69 thing didn't even register at all with me.
There are a fair number of folks on Instagram that think that the ad missed the mark and/or is inappropriate. Making a drug reference and a sexual reference to a young child would be pretty stupid and inappropriate. Granted folks know that "no minors were harmed" in the production because it is all photoshopped.

IMHO it is immature of the person in marketing to make those kinds of references in their marketing. Just saying, "that is $500 for a ticket" gets the same point across. If I was in management, I'd tell them to use a different price and to have the kid say something other than a (presumed) expletive in order to avoid criticism. That's me.

I did see this last week on Instagram and did not comment (I found it to be dumb and I'd expect better from my old home ski area that was always very well run). For me, it might be funny if it was not true. Skiing and riding is expensive already.

But the whole point of marketing is to get people talking. Any publicity is good publicity. Guess what? People are talking.

Last edited:

cdskier

Again, I wouldn't have even thought twice about the price having any sort of weird meaning had people here not pointed it out.

Canned vegetables are on sale in my local super market for 69 cents each...better not let any kids see that price or let them in the stores!

1695688399136.png

Also...shame on Target and Disney for this one:

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, I wouldn't have even thought twice about the price having any sort of weird meaning had people here not pointed it out.

Canned vegetables are on sale in my local super market for 69 cents each...better not let any kids see that price or let them in the stores!

View attachment 59136

Also...shame on Target and Disney for this one:

Nice try. We have some nice parting gifts for you.

cdskier

Nice try. We have some nice parting gifts for you.
You're the one over-reacting to a rather funny ad. I was more focused on the girl cursing and seriously paid no attention to the price. And I think kids cursing is hilarious, so I don't have a problem with that either. Sorry if it bothers you that not everyone is so uptight.

Still not sure why those numbers are "wrong" for SB to use in an ad but perfectly fine elsewhere. News flash...those numbers are just numbers. I can't stand this PC non-sense and over analysis of everything.

cdskier

Saw this in another e-mail today from Sugarbush. Unlimited pass valid after 1PM any day of the season for $399...not a bad deal at all for people that don't mind showing up later in the day. Not for me...but I do know some people that get out there later on a regular basis that could definitely take advantage of something like this.

SteezyRob

You're the one over-reacting to a rather funny ad. I was more focused on the girl cursing and seriously paid no attention to the price. And I think kids cursing is hilarious, so I don't have a problem with that either. Sorry if it bothers you that not everyone is so uptight.

Still not sure why those numbers are "wrong" for SB to use in an ad but perfectly fine elsewhere. News flash...those numbers are just numbers. I can't stand this PC non-sense and over analysis of everything.
ur just as bad as someone who is genuinely upset by the joke in the first place, which no one here seemed to be.

anyways the funny thing is just whoever made that gives zero fucks about their job.

ps i think they did this before, for golf.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Pot call kettle black. You've spilled a lot more ink on this than me. BTW scroll up. Two other people here commented on it before me and if you look on Insta a lot of folks commented about it being dumb. It's not just me. I summarized a lot of points made by others. The one thing you seem to silently acknowledge is that it looks really stupid for them to be making fun of how expensive skiing is. The thing (last week) was half-baked and immature. A lot of folks thought that as well. Some don't care. You're in the latter.

I am beginning to wonder if you are the person who made the ad or drinks with him. Lighten the fuck up.

cdskier

ur just as bad as someone who is genuinely upset by the joke in the first place, which no one here seemed to be.

anyways the funny thing is just whoever made that gives zero fucks about their job.

ps i think they did this before, for golf.

Considering it is the SB PR/Marketing head's daughter in the ad, I'm pretty sure at the very least he signed off on it if not was directly involved in making it. He's been there quite a while. I don't think he gives zero fucks about his job. I think he does quite a good job with being creative with their ads.

And they've used variations of the number "420" in marketing for at least a decade. Really not a big deal as some people are complaining it is.

Pot call kettle black. You've spilled a lot more ink on this than me. BTW scroll up. Two other people here commented on it before me and if you look on Insta a lot of folks commented about it being dumb. It's not just me. I summarized a lot of points made by others. The one thing you seem to silently acknowledge is that it looks really stupid for them to be making fun of how expensive skiing is. The thing (last week) was half-baked and immature. A lot of folks thought that as well. Some don't care. You're in the latter.
The percentage of folks that thought it was dumb was minor compared to the overall number of likes on the post. There were also a lot of comments/complaints from a couple of the same people over and over on that post.

Not sure about the "silently acknowledge" comment. I simply think it is a great ad to draw attention to the fact that you can save a ton of money with a little planning. Skiing is not more expensive today than it was 10-15 years ago if you just plan properly. It isn't that difficult. If you want to show up last minute and still think you should get a cheap rate, oh well...

I am beginning to wonder if you are the person who made the ad or drinks with him. Lighten the fuck up.

I don't work in marketing. I don't work for SB. The extent of my interaction with anyone in SB marketing has been maybe a "hi" as I pass them around the mountain if it is someone I happen to recognize.