• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

felt pretty damn autumnal in nyc this morning. 57 and drizzle when i left the apartment.

was in montreal this weekend. 70 and sunny the whole time. apparently i dodged a bullet of a shit weekend in the nyc area

Hawk

So looking back a the beginnings of this thread in 2005, aside from the Trailboss, most of those early posters have gone. Djspookman, Strat, Skiresortobserver, Lostone, Noski, Bvibert, Daevious, etc. gone. I see Tin Woodsman around every now and then. Wonder where they all went.

Hawk

I only do this board. I serves as occasional entertainment. I have never been on Reddit......facebook or Instagram for that matter.

djd66

I only do this board. I serves as occasional entertainment. I have never been on Reddit......facebook or Instagram for that matter.
you are not missing much. I look at reddit for entertainment purposes when I am really bored.

KustyTheKlown

you are not missing much. I look at reddit for entertainment purposes when I am really bored.

reddit is actually fantastic because its whatever you want it to be. infinitely customizable. curate a collection of boards relevant to your interests and nothing else. i prefer the old interface, which you can still get to at old.reddit.com. i like the lo-fi of it. incredibly useful for an infinite variety of things. entertaining too.

jimmywilson69

I don't always love the way responses are curated on reddit, but that is likely becasue I've mostly done the regular message board style message boards.

most of the music boards I've belonged too have dwindled as well. between social media, reddit, I feel this format is dying off. This board is example #1.

ThatGuy

If I want actual information that I value, this board is way more useful than reddit when it comes to skiing for the most part.

KustyTheKlown

For eastern skiing, ice coast Reddit is about as bad as skiology facebook.

If Reddit had better eastern skiing insight I wouldn’t be here

SteezyRob

r/skiing is actual cancer. i was on there, briefly (to troll) and it wasn't even fun.

this message board seems to be moderately active, compared to other ones i've seen. newschoolers is probably the most active ski forum right now (especially considering their social medias and companies/pros use of the site), don't know about TGR but i got the impression that that was pretty big.

Zand

Yeah that's my biggest problem with Reddit/Facebook/other social media is that 90% of the commenters are idiots and make it tough to even read nevermind to find useful info. That's what I like about forums like this. You start to know who's who and you know who to get the best reports from.

Tin Woodsman

So looking back a the beginnings of this thread in 2005, aside from the Trailboss, most of those early posters have gone. Djspookman, Strat, Skiresortobserver, Lostone, Noski, Bvibert, Daevious, etc. gone. I see Tin Woodsman around every now and then. Wonder where they all went.
Here to the end, but yes message boards are a dying medium largely populated by Gen Xers for whom it was our first exposure to "social media".

Hawk

r/skiing is actual cancer. i was on there, briefly (to troll) and it wasn't even fun.

this message board seems to be moderately active, compared to other ones i've seen. newschoolers is probably the most active ski forum right now (especially considering their social medias and companies/pros use of the site), don't know about TGR but i got the impression that that was pretty big.
Steezy, I have to know. Did you like my top slider comment or are you just busting my balls.

Domeskier

Here to the end, but yes message boards are a dying medium largely populated by Gen Xers for whom it was our first exposure to "social media".
Prodigy, CompuServe and AOL made it way to easy for LCDs to access the internet. It was only a matter of time before online communication was reduced to sending pictures and 40 character platitudes.