• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lotso

I have backed away from the snowmaking conversation but I still do have my gripes. I am a music person. One of the highlights each year is the Sugarbash. My entire group of friends goes to this and we look forward to it. This year No Grift and it 6:00pm to 9pm. I have to call BS on this. 9 pm is when things get going on a Saturady night. Also The Grift is what makes this party. I'm not sure who runs the entertainment but they are truely missing the mark. No wonder people say we are no longer a destination for younger people. Just a sleepy family mountian that rolls up the sidewalks at 9pm. Boooooo!
Not just Sugarbush...the whole Valley shuts down. I miss The Throbulators at Gallaghers, or live music at any number of other places (Mooselips; Blue Tooth). Now it's crickets after 9 pm, execept for MRG now and again, and CR Pub each blue moon.

VTSkiBike

Not just Sugarbush...the whole Valley shuts down. I miss The Throbulators at Gallaghers, or live music at any number of other places (Mooselips; Blue Tooth). Now it's crickets after 9 pm, execept for MRG now and again, and CR Pub each blue moon.
Good luck finding any place open in Central VT besides Cumby's after 9:00 PM.

Hawk

How about all the places on the Killington Access road. How about all the places on the Stowe access road? We are a ski area not small town in central VT.

tumbler

Yes, but it would be nice to have restaurants and bars actually open and for maybe 7 days a week. I think we can all admit the Valley is struggling.

VTSkiBike

How about all the places on the Killington Access road. How about all the places on the Stowe access road? We are a ski area not small town in central VT.

I'm mostly referring to the towns around Sugarbush - Warren, Waitsfield, Montpelier, Waterbury, Barre, etc. Not many "late night" options near the Bush.

Hawk

Warren, Waitsfeld, Fayston all are on Sugarbushs access Road. My point is that other major resort have resturants and night life near by. Why can we figure ti out?

VTSkiBike

Warren, Waitsfeld, Fayston all are on Sugarbushs access Road. My point is that other major resort have resturants and night life near by. Why can we figure ti out?

I think it's the type of skier the Valley attracts - lots of families and people who come to ski hard (not party). Killington and Stowe are way more developed and attract younger people and skiers who also want to stay out late. There's also the huge issue around here of attracting new employees to service jobs. It's getting better but restaurants are still struggling to be staffed enough to be open daily, let alone late night.

I wouldn't mind a few more dining options (especially lunch options) in town but doubt there's enough of a demand to keep them open late night.

Hawk

I think you are missing the mark on this. We are now an IKON mountian. We attrack IKON people. Thousands of skiers of all ages that are new. It is no longer a family season pass mountain like it used to be with the same old families. I go out all the time and there is a wait every Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, everywhere. The demand is there. The employee thing is real but I think with the small amount of estabishments they should be able to figure it out with good planning. Anyway the discussion was why the Sugarbash should end at 9pm and why isn't the Grift playing.

cdskier

Yes, but it would be nice to have restaurants and bars actually open and for maybe 7 days a week. I think we can all admit the Valley is struggling.

I don't even know where to go for a good dinner anymore...to me there's a gap now in the valley (unless something new opened recently that I haven't checked out yet). I want something a little higher end than say Hydeaway, but not as high end as Pitcher Inn. Peasant fit that bill perfectly but is gone. Going back further, Common Man or Sage would have been in that similar category in my mind. All gone...

crank

Timely discussion as we just made reservations at Hideaway for a dinner with friends during the week between Christmas and New Years. We are thinking about Tucker Hill Inn which I think is only open for diners Fridays and Saturdays. Definitely used to be a lot more happening around the Sugarbush of my youth.

How is Emily's Bistro?

Probably do the buffet at Claybrook and then hang out at Castlerock for NYE.

WWF-VT

I don't even know where to go for a good dinner anymore...to me there's a gap now in the valley (unless something new opened recently that I haven't checked out yet). I want something a little higher end than say Hydeaway, but not as high end as Pitcher Inn. Peasant fit that bill perfectly but is gone. Going back further, Common Man or Sage would have been in that similar category in my mind. All gone...
Go to Waterbury

Hawk

I haven't Been to Emilys. I heard it was good but the menu was limited.
The Mad River Barn is also good food. I like the atmosphere there.