• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Kitchenette already covers that model. Dino Bones too for BBQ. The solution is obvious. CD needs to open a restaurant! May I suggest downstairs from the Reks or the old Mutha Stuffers? Close to you, and super convenient for me;) I hear there will be an extensive wine collection with a whole page from the Finger Lakes region.

LOL. Chris from Peasant tried to convince me for years that I should buy Peasant. I want no part of operating a restaurant. I love cooking, but wouldn't want to do it as my job.

Downstairs from the Reks is Silverback Property Management's offices (or at least was supposed to be last time I talked to both Dino and Shane/Lance from Silverback way back in April or so).

I don't find Chez Henri how CD does. His Duck is done really well. The veal is awsome. His fondu is very traditional and rich. The beef tartar is made fresh to order and has the perfect amount of caper and spice. Whatever is the special for that particular evening, I usually order it. I have never had a bad special. I could go on. If you have not gone you should. I eat there at lease half a dozen times a season.
I'll have to try the duck next time. As for the veal...let's just say I had a bad experience with it on my first ever visit there years ago. I have not been able to convince myself to have it again since that point. Hell it took me years just to convince myself to go back there at all after that. I'm sure it was just a one-off thing that time...but still hard to mentally get over that night.

crank

We've only been to Chez Henri once. Unfortunately whatever we ordered... think it was lamb? was way underdone. We did not send it back but we did not eat a lot of it. I asked my wife if she wanted me to make a res. there for xmas week and she passed. Maybe I will surprise her though. Feel like we should give them another shot .

WinS

We've only been to Chez Henri once. Unfortunately whatever we ordered... think it was lamb? was way underdone. We did not send it back but we did not eat a lot of it. I asked my wife if she wanted me to make a res. there for xmas week and she passed. Maybe I will surprise her though. Feel like we should give them another shot .
I have always had a good dinner at Chez Henri and almost always order the rack of lamb. But you have to know the chef. If you want it medium rare you need to order it medium. The escargot and French Onion soup are also favorites of mine. I rarely eati dessert but make an exception there and have the profiteroles. Rumble’s had has mixed reviews over the years, but I have had three dinners and one lunch there this winter and have been very pleased with both the menu and the service. I have eaten twice at new Madbush Falls (located where the original Egan’s Big World was) and enjoyed my dinners. Of course, Flatbread is a great option and I too really enjoy Fit To Be Thai’d.

Hawk

I will also add that Chez Henri is a traditional French Resturaunt. The french typically cook things medium rare and tend to lean towards the rare side because overcooking meat ruins it. Being French in my heritage I love things to be on the rare side. I think the lamb comes out perfect every time but that is me. I know the whole service staff pretty well and if you tell them you do not like rare meat, they will make sure it comes out right. But you should be very specific so they tell the chef.

Profiteroles! Every time Win. Our favorite. See you at early ups.

cdskier

I have always had a good dinner at Chez Henri and almost always order the rack of lamb. But you have to know the chef. If you want it medium rare you need to order it medium. The escargot and French Onion soup are also favorites of mine. I rarely eati dessert but make an exception there and have the profiteroles. Rumble’s had has mixed reviews over the years, but I have had three dinners and one lunch there this winter and have been very pleased with both the menu and the service. I have eaten twice at new Madbush Falls (located where the original Egan’s Big World was) and enjoyed my dinners. Of course, Flatbread is a great option and I too really enjoy Fit To Be Thai’d.

I'm looking forward to checking out Madbush Falls. That is one new promising place in the valley. They've had some interesting and good looking items on their menu that I've seen on their social media feeds...

Hawk

They are really good. The decore is kind of simple and clean. My wife calls it Scandinavian design. Not my department. LOL I have had the lamb skewers and the rigatoni. Both excellent. My wife loves the salmon. The steak looked good also when my friend had it. The califlower and poutine appetizers were also both good.
the bar is small and I think they should add more seating for when the place get hopping this winter. I would reccomend this place.

djd66

For me nothing beats a Quacky 2 from Mehurons...biggest sandwich in the world for 10 bucks...
Its funny, i never knew that Mehurons did sandwiches until you guys were discussing last year. I have since tried and I'm a big fan. Lots of bang for the buck!

HowieT2

fit to be thaid is good eats but not the most efficient operation. madbush has an interesting menu, tasty food and good vibes for groups. I like mad river barn too but prefer the upstairs bar to the downstairs seating area.
need to try the bbq.
meanwhile, the end of my flatland familial obligations coincides with this weekends thaw. This aggression shall not stand.

Hawk

fit to be thaid is good eats but not the most efficient operation. madbush has an interesting menu, tasty food and good vibes for groups. I like mad river barn too but prefer the upstairs bar to the downstairs seating area.
need to try the bbq.
meanwhile, the end of my flatland familial obligations coincides with this weekends thaw. This aggression shall not stand.
Howie, Dino Bones is take out only I believe in the winter. You have to place an order and go up Tucker Hill Road to pick it up. It is about 2/3's of the way to Camel's Hump SF where you pick up the enchanted forest trail. I tried them last year when a friend got some. It was very good. I keep forgetting to do it myself. I will this winter. Link Below.

Dino Bones

slatham

Nice ops update by Jon. Seems Gatehouse start wasn’t a firm plan, it’s what worked given snowmaking window and acreage required.

crank

Back to food for a sec. We probably ordered the lamb medium rare. This was rare than what I would call rare. But I will give CH another shot when we are up. Been to plenty of French restaurants and never had issues with shades of doneness before.

cdskier

Your recipes look to be beyond my cooking skills,... would you offer takeout? :ROFLMAO:

Oops...meant to respond to this and forgot. Most of the things I cook are not really complicated (the exception being when I go a little crazy for the 4 course Mother's Day or Father's Day meals). But most of my normal cooking is a lot simpler than people think. It just looks fancy!

Hawk

I heard an interesting rumor that the Mountain bought Paradise Market. Has anyone heard about the details? I hope they don't close it. It sucks to go all the way down to the valley floor when you run out small things or just need a pint of Ben and Jerry's

HowieT2

I heard an interesting rumor that the Mountain bought Paradise Market. Has anyone heard about the details? I hope they don't close it. It sucks to go all the way down to the valley floor when you run out small things or just need a pint of Ben and Jerry's
Really? they just put in beer taps in a quasi draft room.

ducky

That is correct.

Re driving to Waterbury: locals welcome the drive and chance to get out of town. You soon learn and get used to the fact that everything is an hour away. My wife and I went to Burlington for dinner just last night. No big deal.

crank

When you have a 6 hour drive to get there and a 6 hour drive to get home and are skiing all day and then maybe, ok definitely, having a beer or so apres, you, I mean I, don't want to make a long, dark drive. Drove up to Hen In the Woods for dinner last. year and both enjoyed and regretted it.

We live in an urban area where we have a 10 minute walk to several restaurants and have great groceries and delis within a mile or so. It's a trade off for sure.