• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Newpylong

I am really happy to hear about Paradise. I looked at purchasing it from Roberta but it was a bit pricey and I thought our capital was better deployed elsewhere at that point. But it is an important part of the Mountain Community in all seasons and I was pleased with what the new owner did originally. LIke so many other places getting and keeping labor is a real challenge. Sugarbush will clearly help with this and the F&B team has at least one manager who has relevant experience having been a manager at Whole Foods. Also if the additional employee housing is approved across the street this will be a huge benefit for the employees staying there. J-1s are students and do not drive.

Personally, I shop there all year and find it convenient not having to drive into Waitsfield for certain dry goods. It would be nice to see a large selection of food in the future.

It is also encouraging to see the capital Alterra is providing Sugarbush for so many different projects. Much more that I could have done.

Don't sell yourself short. You put the GMX back in, replaced both of those aging doubles, came through on the Castlerock install that was planned by ASC, lots of snowmaking work, etc. People will look back and recall Summit Ventures as extremely good stewards of Sugarbush.

crank

Hey as a semi-regular tourist and Sugarbush skier I just wanna thank you guys who have homes and condos and who used to run the joint for all the info and intel I find here.

Last edited:

Lotso

while 100% 'sugarbush open' on saturday, they still clearly needed a refresh, and i would think this is a net gainer for them
Sunday rains and high temps were brutal, but 6" probably brought them back to around where they were. Locking up tight now so anything on top, manmade or natch will stick around.
This weekend will be a keeper for sure.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Sunday rains and high temps were brutal, but 6" probably brought them back to around where they were. Locking up tight now so anything on top, manmade or natch will stick around.
This weekend will be a keeper for sure.

Heading up sunday for my first trip to SB this year. Hoping the crowds aren't too bad as its still early for some and I'll stick mostly to the groomed trails. Glad to hear this recent weather helped out!

Lotso

Heading up sunday for my first trip to SB this year. Hoping the crowds aren't too bad as its still early for some and I'll stick mostly to the groomed trails. Glad to hear this recent weather helped out!
Best early-season skiing as far as variety and quality of terrain open that I can recall, and I have been here 35 years. Bring rock skis if planning on skiing where no snow has been made...it is December after all

KustyTheKlown

Best early-season skiing as far as variety and quality of terrain open that I can recall, and I have been here 35 years. Bring rock skis if planning on skiing where no snow has been made...it is December after all

My Fischers got well fucked on sat. They are my current rock ski. They’re 102 and I have brand new 106 kastles to be more precious about.

I’m interested in the elan ripstick 96 black edition for a “groomer ski”

Hawk

Lotso, I can remeber two years where we were skiing the woods and slidebrook in December. I also skied MRG one of those years with 2 feet of powder this comming weekend. It has happened and it has been better. This year is pretty good however the snow is not that deep yet and the storms are all on Mondays so that sucks fur us Friday - Sunday type skiers.

1dog

Don't get me wrong. I wll take it definetly. I just not ready to call the best early season I have seen.
We've had quite a few 'December to Remember'. . . . early 2000's and couple late 90's where CR was 100% open with few people there - pre-MassPass era- most people would wait till holidays or after to even think about skiing.

It's what HMO's did to medicine. Why wait to see doc when I can go in for $5 ( thats where co-pay started in 80's or even late 70's) My dr. friends said it ruined real care for those in need. . . . . seems to be corollary to ski business - this board needs it - half of the people I saw Saturday. . . . would have never been there if not for MassPass-ademic