• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lotso

I am referring to the area above and looker‘s right of Inverness. It is a future possibility. We have discussed this in the past and the current team may look at it at some point. This is not USFS land and owned outright by Sugarbush.
I have a map somewhere that shows that pod. The old lift line cut has finaly grown in so impossible to see anymore. Would be cool for sure

Hawk

As far as the woods goes, Sugarbush has always been a skier's mountain. If you've got the goods, the skiers will come. Kudos for Sugarbush in making the woods accessible, we can't complain that people actually ski them. Better than the old days when we had to hide from patrol if we (gasp) skied off-piste.
Flakey, I highly disagree with this. It is not better than the old days in any way. The patrol never took any interest in busting people balls for skiing in the woods and I can say this becasue I have been skiing the woods since the mid 80's. We even skied slidebrook before they actually thinned the areas and got picked on German Flats or we thumbed a ride. Places like Gangsta's, Epsteins, Paradise woods or Apple Orchard only had a few tracks days after storms. No it is not better. No way.

ducky

The best thing that can happen is 3" every day. Not enough to brag about and doesn't attract attention. The worst is like last year when it dumps only on Fridays.

If the line is longer than say 3 minutes, I go home.

Last edited:

oldfartrider

I almost put his in my post. I suppose there are exceptions to every rule.... If Castlerock is 45 mins but all of the other lifts are 5 min you know what you are getting into. Not like days at Mad River where the single is 45 min and the double is at 30 min, not much choice there
This how it was just about everywhere on prime days before HSQs came along. I waited in many super long lines in the 80s. I hate even10 minute lines now but it’s a breeze compared to the past.

tumbler

I am referring to the area above and looker‘s right of Inverness. It is a future possibility. We have discussed this in the past and the current team may look at it at some point. This is not USFS land and owned outright by Sugarbush.
It would be nice but that would mean Inverness lift and some of those trails would need to be open and not closed for GMVS use. Isn't there a lift shown on a master plan from skiers right at the end of Lower FIS up to the corner on Rim Rim just beyond the exit of Black Diamond?

SteezyRob

Flakey, I highly disagree with this. It is not better than the old days in any way. The patrol never took any interest in busting people balls for skiing in the woods and I can say this becasue I have been skiing the woods since the mid 80's. We even skied slidebrook before they actually thinned the areas and got picked on German Flats or we thumbed a ride. Places like Gangsta's, Epsteins, Paradise woods or Apple Orchard only had a few tracks days after storms. No it is not better. No way.
what's epsteins??

Hawk

Before they opened up Steins woods there was a much harder version in there. With the new travese trail and how much they opened it up, the original version is all but gone.

tumbler

New snow reporter seems nice and happy to be there but I don't think she really knows what a ground score is...:p

jaytrem

The patrol never took any interest in busting people balls for skiing in the woods and I can say this becasue I have been skiing the woods since the mid 80's.
Minor ball busting back then from my experience. Seems they liked to watch the Church with binoculars then tell you to stay out of there when they see you later. Never pulled anybody's pass or took names though.

Zand

Good day today. Spent the morning up top. Spillsville and upper Ripcord still good. Paradise is pretty much shot. Organgrinder not much fun. Nice sunny day almost everywhere except the top 200 feet of the peak which was socked in all day.

After lunch moved to Valley House. Mall and Moonshine ok up top with lots of creek crossings down low, Eden not so good (pretty clear from the pics that Stowe made out much better last Sunday). However, took me till after 2:00 to discover my trail of the day: Steins. Top half was very soft chowder and a blast to ski. Got pretty ugly down low like everything else, but for some reason the top skied so much better than pretty much anything else I found today.

I skied like shit most of the day as it was my first time skiing anything natural or non groomed this year. Thought there was no way in hell I was gonna ski till close today, but once I discovered Steins it's like I got a second wind.

Fun day. Get out there tomorrow before the Grinch takes it all.

PXL_20231215_164452280.MP.jpg
PXL_20231215_195037383.jpg
PXL_20231215_190914456.MP.jpg