• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

flakeydog

First off, it will always be Zip to me, you can’t take that away…

Skiing was actually decent this weekend. Having north ridge would have been nice. Echo the comment that it does give you one of the most direct swath of vertical anywhere on one chair. Tuned skis did help, finding it’s worth the cost to keep them sharp. In any case, skiing is my happy place even when conditions are less than ideal. From being outside, the speed and adventure, to seeing people you know in the lodge even a so-so day beats just about anything else. Cheap therapy if you ask me.

ducky

Warm up coming Tuesday (channel 5 news). Actually, started out reading this morning about a big snow event on VT Ski and Ride. That was debunked in part as the storm hadn't even hit California yet and was determined to be too far out. Anyone have better sources?

Last edited:

WinS

The Euro model is the more favorable and it is possible we could see up to 6” or a bit more Saturday into Sunday and maybe another system midweek and another over. MLK weekend. But there is a brief warm-up in the forecast next week too.. But the trend is looking more favorable.

Hats off to the mountain team for their work over the Holiday week. The groomers moved a lot around to keep as much terrain open as possible. Unfortunately snowmaking could not turn on for the Holiday visitors and after a few hours the conditions were very challenging for many. But I found good skiing early every day on the trails that were open. Big whales now on Ripcord, Lower Organgrinder and Lower Jester and they were fun skiing over them on Tuesday. It looks like the guns will be on Snowball and Spring Fling at LP next as the bottoms especially are thin. They had an emergency shut down Tuesday night as the input pipe in the snowmaking pump was clogged with junk, likely a result of the breach in the monsoon of 12/18. But all could be OK now. I am sure if temps allow they will want to refresh GH trails and get Hot Shot and the North Lynx trails open for MLK. I did not ski ME the past few days but heard good reports from those that did. Will get there on Friday.

Hawk

I'm back from New Orleans. There were a huge bunch of pissed off Texans there. LOL First time in 30 years I did not ski christmas week but it was a really fun week with my ex-skier friend that relocated down there for some really poor sled-in.

I was going to ski today but work sux. I guess I will see what all the fuss is about tomorrow. I have sharp skis so bombs away!

cdskier

I'll hopefully be back up next weekend for MLK...getting back up there on a short work week just wasn't in the cards. And a potential snow storm impacting travel home Sunday isn't helping either...

KustyTheKlown

I'll hopefully be back up next weekend for MLK...getting back up there on a short work week just wasn't in the cards. And a potential snow storm impacting travel home Sunday isn't helping either...

im also skipping this weekend. after a dismal xmas new years period, and a hypecast storm on the news in nj nyc and ct, and having very little/no natural snow base to work with, and potential driving problems sunday, seemed a good weekend to skip. the blackouts crowd can ski now that holidays are over, and everyone is powder starved. this weekend will be a sleeper bad time. back at it next week.

WinS

I'm back from New Orleans. There were a huge bunch of pissed off Texans there. LOL First time in 30 years I did not ski christmas week but it was a really fun week with my ex-skier friend that relocated down there for some really poor sled-in.

I was going to ski today but work sux. I guess I will see what all the fuss is about tomorrow. I have sharp skis so bombs away!
I think you will like first tracks tomorrow. Upper Ripcord should be freshly groomed. Not sure they can do both Ripcord and Upper Organgrinder but the grooming on that today was very nice as was it on Upper Snowball and Spring Fling. Early is good, later firms up and I would expect a decent crowd tomorrow. Skied ME first today at 8am and it good and it was cold, I think every college in the Northeast with a ski team was here this week training on ME as SB had one of the only if not the only race slope open after the rain of 12/18. The law must have been laid down because after they booted up they put their bags away neatly in the right spot and the few that did not found their bag just outside the down. I know because I hung mine on a peg and found it outside 😵💫 It was impressive how neat the lodge was with what looked like hundreds of college students.

djd66

The law must have been laid down because after they booted up they put their bags away neatly in the right spot and the few that did not found their bag just outside the down. I know because I hung mine on a peg and found it outside 😵💫 It was impressive how neat the lodge was with what looked like hundreds of college students.
ok, kind of funny that they took Win's stuff and put it on the ground outside the lodge. I guess they mean business! Come on Win, when you came back to the lodge and you found your stuff on the ground - there was a little "WTF" - even if it was under your breath! 😫😫

WinS

ok, kind of funny that they took Win's stuff and put it on the ground outside the lodge. I guess they mean business! Come on Win, when you came back to the lodge and you found your stuff on the ground - there was a little "WTF" - even if it was under your breath! 😫😫
Yup! 🤣But when I saw how neat it was, i couldn’t complain. But i was glad to find my parking spot at LP still there. 😊

Getskied

And now listed on the report as open!

View attachment 60386
Trying not to be greedy here, but it would be too much to ask for the written report to note a significant event like this? The same thing has happened recently with opening of other new trails and lifts, Ripcord excepted. Like, when you’re opening Sleeper for the first time in the ski season might it be worth a casual remark at least? Is anyone awake in the marketing department?

cdskier

Trying not to be greedy here, but it would be too much to ask for the written report to note a significant event like this? The same thing has happened recently with opening of other new trails and lifts, Ripcord excepted. Like, when you’re opening Sleeper for the first time in the ski season might it be worth a casual remark at least? Is anyone awake in the marketing department?

Hah...I was thinking the same thing this morning that if I was writing the report I would have definitely called out the fact that NRX is now open.

Getskied

Anyone know what the plan is for FIS? Snowmaking wrapped up days ago and best I can tell it’s sitting there with a rope across it. Is it awaiting a winch cat groom?

shipyardcreek

I heard yesterday that Heaven's Gate is being shut down in early April so work can start on the new lift. The loading of the new lift is going to be the same as the Valley House lift. Unloading is going to be further uphill so no climbing to ski Jester. I wonder what the plans for spring skiing are going to be?

kingslug

I heard yesterday that Heaven's Gate is being shut down in early April so work can start on the new lift. The loading of the new lift is going to be the same as the Valley House lift. Unloading is going to be further uphill so no climbing to ski Jester. I wonder what the plans for spring skiing are going to be?
Good..climbing to jester...sux.
If it was a good run then ok...

KustyTheKlown

Good..climbing to jester...sux.
If it was a good run then ok...

the climb is to get to organgrinder. possibly the best run at sugarbush. a true 2300 vertical direct top to bottom of sustained pitch except for the downspout crossover to domino - an admittedly annoying stretch

kingslug

OG is great when it's not a sheet...of death ice.
I rarely see anyone going down it unless it has a good deal of new snow..
Everyone is ripping rip....

Last edited: