• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

It depends...would moving it uphill make it more exposed and more prone to wind holds? If so, that's a reason to not move it. Would moving it uphill more change the alignment to the point where a lot more trees would need to be cut? If so, that's again another reason not to change it. Keep in mind that the lift goes in a straight line from bottom to top. So moving the top further looker's left has a much bigger impact on tree clearing compared to just using the existing line and only cutting to meet current state clearance requirements.

The description in the USFS documents very specifically states there is no change to the alignment other than a slight deviation at the base to make more room for loading. There's no mention of any top alignment change. The USFS document does say they can't cut trees over 4" between June 1 and July 31 to minimize impact on the northern long-eared bat. So the previous reference to a bat was accurate. Although they also can't cut trees above 2500' between June 1 and August 31 due to Bicknell's Thrush... So the bat thing is almost irrelevant due to the overlap with Bicknell's Thrush.

I'm sure they could revise the USFS filing, but I'm not sure I personally see the value in changing the top alignment.
So if you look at the terrain up there and you keep the lift in the same alignment, There is not a whole lot of up hill you can move it. Take a look the next time you are up there. They would have to blast out, fill, cut trees and move tons of rock and dirt. As CD states, that would open them up to much more exposure to the wind. I think they will just build up some fill and take the curse out of that climb. I think that is all they can do without a major disrution to the top. You also have to consider that the long trail is right behind there and I know for certain they can not affect that in any way.

MadPadraic

The only changes I'd like to see with the HG replacement are a wider off ramp and maybe have the chairs at loading height above one's ankles. The uphill and flats to OG and Jester don't inhibit my enjoyment of those trails.

HowieT2

So if you look at the terrain up there and you keep the lift in the same alignment, There is not a whole lot of up hill you can move it. Take a look the next time you are up there. They would have to blast out, fill, cut trees and move tons of rock and dirt. As CD states, that would open them up to much more exposure to the wind. I think they will just build up some fill and take the curse out of that climb. I think that is all they can do without a major disrution to the top. You also have to consider that the long trail is right behind there and I know for certain they can not affect that in any way.
you're the construction guy but I would think they could just build the platform for the lift a little higher and not have a ramp going down like it is now.

Speaking of crowds and lift lines, I found myself skiing at Bellayre in the catskills yesterday. and a lot of folks who are clueless about the whole skiing thing.

cdskier

you're the construction guy but I would think they could just build the platform for the lift a little higher and not have a ramp going down like it is now.

Speaking of crowds and lift lines, I found myself skiing at Bellayre in the catskills yesterday. and a lot of folks who are clueless about the whole skiing thing.

I'm curious about your comments regarding Belleayre...

Lotso

4. For those that complain about crowds at SB and blame Ikon...that may be so, but I've never seen REAL crowds at SB. Nothing at all like southern VT slopes.
I was at Stratton yesterday. What a junk show. Sugarbush at it's absolute worst would not compare to the mess I saw there. Too many people, not enough terrain open, and what was open had lousy coverage. Won't be back there any time soon.

HowieT2

I'm curious about your comments regarding Belleayre...
Let's just say, ski a day in the catskills and you won't be complaining about crowds and lines at sugarbush. At least the clueless "skiers" at Belleayre aren't drunken idiots like one would find at Hunter.

cdskier

Let's just say, ski a day in the catskills and you won't be complaining about crowds and lines at sugarbush. At least the clueless "skiers" at Belleayre aren't drunken idiots like one would find at Hunter.

I used to ski Belleayre quite a bit. It has been years though. I never experienced those issues back then, but a lot has changed at Belleayre so that's why I was curious what you experienced now. Back when I skied there the only major lift that tended to have a line was the express quad on the left side of the mountain. But the lines at the time were usually well managed and moved quickly (5-10 minutes maybe on average when it was busy). And lift 7 and Tomahawk quad were typically either ski on or a couple minute wait at most so I tended to spend a lot of time on those 2 lifts.

HowieT2

i think he means gapers who have no idea how to ski in fresh or chop, flailing all over the hill.
no, that doesnt bother me. It's the shit show at the lift lines and getting off the lifts that make for a frustrating experience.

HowieT2

I used to ski Belleayre quite a bit. It has been years though. I never experienced those issues back then, but a lot has changed at Belleayre so that's why I was curious what you experienced now. Back when I skied there the only major lift that tended to have a line was the express quad on the left side of the mountain. But the lines at the time were usually well managed and moved quickly (5-10 minutes maybe on average when it was busy). And lift 7 and Tomahawk quad were typically either ski on or a couple minute wait at most so I tended to spend a lot of time on those 2 lifts.
They have a really nice new base lodge and gondola now. But I think now that Windham is discouraging day trippers and Hunter is on Epic, there are a more people going to Belleayre. I'm terrible at estimating wait times, but I would say the wait for the gondola was at least 20 minutes.

BodeMiller1

Good news, the chair was only down for an hour. She missed pulling the bar down and had a hard fall. Think Humpty Dumpty.
🎃
Windy day...

mikec142

now that Windham is discouraging day trippers
The Windham thing is absolutely wild to me. For years, we used Windham as our day trip destination (from NJ) rather than Hunter. When it went on Ikon that was just a bonus. But the crowds have become insane and now that they are limiting Ikon pass holders, I'm pretty much done with them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Windham thing is absolutely wild to me. For years, we used Windham as our day trip destination (from NJ) rather than Hunter. When it went on Ikon that was just a bonus. But the crowds have become insane and now that they are limiting Ikon pass holders, I'm pretty much done with them.
I saw someone else in another group complain about no IKON reservations for weekends for the rest of the season. The lesson here is that if you want to ski Windham regularly then buy a Windham season pass. IKON should be viewed as an unlimited season pass at Alterra-owned resorts with bonus days at other areas that have restrictions and blackouts. It is not meant to be an unlimited pass for every single resort. That said, it does suck for those that bought IKON to see that Windham is now clamping down on IKON.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

going to stratton on the first powder day of the season which is also a weekend after the holiday black outs, is just stupid.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I feel we need an ALTERRA SUCKS thread to compliment the VAIL SUCKS thread.

How has this not happened yet?
Frankly, folks here still like IKON and Alterra. I consider them to be just another version of Vail. There is a lot of focus on Vail as a publicly traded company, but the amount of money that Alterra has is easily in over $1 billion. And Alterra has managed to use PR spin to deflect criticism about crowding.

KustyTheKlown

there's really no reason to dislike alterra in the northeast.

vail resorts are a consistent shitshow here, ikon resorts arent. i am an extremely satisfied alterra customer. not a negative thing to say.

i'm sorry utah is fucked. it's not only alterra's fault.

the windham example is extreme and has very little to do with alterra, if anything. sucks to lose the only catskill option on the pass, but the windham mountain club is making their bed. let's see how they go with sleeping in it and selling fancy memberships to a catskill hill. i think they'll actually do ok only bc of proximity to big money clientelle