• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was a lot more than that, and it wasn't her fault. The chair seat had been blown into the "up position" (which is where they put them so that snow doesnt; asccumulate, and four went to sit own with nothing to sit on. Two bailed immediately, the woman fell off trying to escape as well and fell on her shoulder. The last skier had to be removed by ski patrol.
Oh shit. That same thing has happened at least twice in Vail, with one person dying after getting caught in the chair and strangled to death. That is a serious issue. I imagine that lifty is now looking for a new job--this may be cause for dismissal.

The accident at Vail:

JimG.

Staff member
you're the construction guy but I would think they could just build the platform for the lift a little higher and not have a ramp going down like it is now.

Speaking of crowds and lift lines, I found myself skiing at Bellayre in the catskills yesterday. and a lot of folks who are clueless about the whole skiing thing.
Belleayre set a record for day pass sales with 6100 on Sunday. You were there for the most crowded day there ever. I heard they were parking cars down to the stop sign at the end of the Overlook access road. One reason I don't ski on weekend powder days and make myself content with day after powder bumps.

Monday was the busiest I've seen Belle on a non-holiday Monday ever. They were still parking 'em down to the Tomahawk entrance and the trails were crowded. But lift lines were 1-2 minutes everywhere but the Gondola. They sold 4500 day passes Monday so I can only imagine how insane it was on Sunday!

Castlerockrisk

We were at the mountain Monday when the lift incident occurred and saw the evac. I heard that she injured/ broke her collar bone. They loaded the next chair, and when you consider how slow the detachable chair moves someone was snoozing. On Tuesday and Wednesday I looked at the control shack operator throughout the day, I noticed one common practice- they were more focused on their phone than their job. I am wondering what Sugarbush/ Altera’s policy is about lift operators who are on WATCH and phone use. If there is not a policy there should be.

This same issue occurred years ago on same lift, the irony is that they press the stop pretty quickly for a dropped glove or pole but when it counts- they have fallen short on their situational awareness

1dog

Its why I stopped in line skating for off season training. . . . .10 miles of hills but moms and kids on cell phones and 'car breezes' on my arms far too many times. . . . . . . ( of course, never any males loose focus. . . . )

Lotso

When it is not so muddy you can't drive on it, try driving the Common Road between Waitsfield Common and E Warren Rd on a sunny Saturday (whenever THAT is). Between people walking/running with ear buds in, chatting on phones, walking in the middle of the road while tuned out (or often on the wrong side of the road so they are oblivious to traffic), it is hard to navigate.

Sorry to rant, but it seemed related to where this was going.

Now on to our next junk storm of a weather system! More 'base-building' snow and character-building Saturday weather....

Ethanengmann

Got back yesterday after skiing Wed-Friday and Monday/Tuesday. By far the best run of the trip was FIS when they opened it (up top skiiers right!) around like 3 o'clock on Tuesday. Felt like 2 feet of untouched powder. I couldnt believe it.

Stuff that was great
Ellen:
FIS (see above)
Rim Run (great snowmaking)
Looking Good
Tumbler (2nd Best run of the Trip)
Inverness 4:00 on Tuesday
Northway

LP:
Grand Stand (Monday)
Slowpoke park
Spring Fling
Waterfall/ Hotshot for a run (Monday)
New Traverse
Ripcord

Stuff that Sucked
Ellen:
Anything in the trees (even after the snow)
LIft line under North Ridge
Exterminator
Walts (not ready)

LP:
Sleeper Chutes (Entire Trip)
Grand Stand (Wed-Friday)
Waterfall/ Hotshot after the first run (Monday)
Murphs (sadly) (Monday-Wednesday)

crank

Wife is super busy with major work projects so we are probably gonna skip our February week out west and , hopefully, there will be some midwinter conditions in mid Feb. up at Sugarbush. Looking for some fully refundable lodging reservations .

brandt_cant_watch

On the fence whether to drive up tonight before the storm or drive tomorrow morning for a half day due to winds.

Decisions decisions