• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

Heaven's gate is up there with the worst lifts around. Everything about it is horrible. It's really bad. Bravo is long in the tooth for sure. North is a disaster. Building that stupid slide brook albatross was such a horrible idea all around. The cost, the everything. Sounded good on paper.
What exactly is so bad about Heaven's Gate? All the new lift will do is slightly bump capacity and boost reliability a bit, although it seems to be one of the more reliable lifts at Sugarbush right now. If it was detachable, that would be a bigger upgrade, but I can't really see how a fixed grip quad is that much of an upgrade.

cdskier

What exactly is so bad about Heaven's Gate? All the new lift will do is slightly bump capacity and boost reliability a bit, although it seems to be one of the more reliable lifts at Sugarbush right now. If it was detachable, that would be a bigger upgrade, but I can't really see how a fixed grip quad is that much of an upgrade.

Yea...I'm not sure what is so bad about HG either that would make someone say it is "one of the worst lifts around". Like you said the replacement is just a slight capacity bump and in theory some reliability assurance. One additional benefit would be the new lift also is supposed to be a bit lower profile, so that should reduce some wind impact in a few spots along the line. So that's good. But still I don't see any massive changes here that will drastically alter anything if someone today thinks the existing lift is one of the worst around...

tumbler

I think it's appearance is driving the opinion. It's 40 years old and is tired looking especially with all the other newer lifts at LP besides North Lynx.

Cheetah440

Yea...I'm not sure what is so bad about HG either that would make someone say it is "one of the worst lifts around". Like you said the replacement is just a slight capacity bump and in theory some reliability assurance. One additional benefit would be the new lift also is supposed to be a bit lower profile, so that should reduce some wind impact in a few spots along the line. So that's good. But still I don't see any massive changes here that will drastically alter anything if someone today thinks the existing lift is one of the worst around...
It's a physical thing, I just find it horribly uncomfortable all around unlike any other lift. Obviously it's me. I have some upper back and neck mobility issues and for some reason I have issues with that lift that I don't with others anywhere. I get it's 40yrs old, and I'm not looking for a 6-pack bubble heated chair. I just find it really an uncomfortable ride that I happily take as often as I can.

HowieT2

I assume the new HG fixed grip is going to be noticeably faster than the existing one.

HowieT2

I have been reluctant to comment on all this lift discussion. But here is a perspective on NRX. When it was installed by Claneil back in the 80’s it was advertised as the fastest lift in the USA and I think was the first top drive in the USA. The chain in the terminal as also unique and it hindsight not great. When Les Otten bought Sugarbush he moved it from where GMX is to its current location and put in the infamous “Slug”. We replaced the Slug with the current GMX. It is now at Jay Peak. When Les moved NRX he had Dopplemyr move a Poma lift. As a result neither wanted accountability for it in its new location. We did spend a lot of $ over the years. Specifically a new motor , new communication lines and new Drive. Also all the tower has been rewired a few times including I believe this summer. It happens to be a tough lift to maintain and none of the issue are due to anyone not focusing or spending dollars on it. One might argue that it should be replaced ahead of HG but that is a judgment call and since 75-80% of visitors ski at LP or ME, I certainly can‘t argue with that decision. Many of the comments that have been made in my opinion are misinformed and hopefully Sugarbush will respond with the facts. When I owned the resort one statistic I looked at carefully each year was the percent of time lifts ran without a mechanical to electrical problem and we were in most years around 99.5%. That is a very good result within the industry. But given the number of hours that the 16 lift run that could mean that there were 50-60 hours when lifts were down. The vast majority were minutes not hours. But occasionally a serious issue like a motor fail could cause a lift to be down for a day or more. That said if one is unlucky to be on a lift when it goes down for 10-15 minutes it can be a terrible experience and that frames ones opinion. I have skied 49 days this season and have over 450,000 vertical and have not experienced more than a minute of two of stoppage and some of those were due to misloads or unloads. (hopefully I have not jinxed myself 😜)
Having Dopplemayr install a Poma was the original sin. It was initially installed around 1990 and moved in '95 so on paper it shouldn't need to be replaced already, but it clearly does.

Slidebrook87

I assume the new HG fixed grip is going to be noticeably faster than the existing one.
If Valley House is any indication, it will only run at about 425 ft/min which is pretty much what Heaven's Gate runs at. Fixed grip quads can only run at 450 ft/min and they typically run slower to reduce misloads. I'm curious to see if they do a loading conveyor or not. It technically allows a fixed-grip quad to run slightly faster, but it is quite expensive and has caused a lot of problems for Valley House.

cdskier

It's a physical thing, I just find it horribly uncomfortable all around unlike any other lift. Obviously it's me. I have some upper back and neck mobility issues and for some reason I have issues with that lift that I don't with others anywhere. I get it's 40yrs old, and I'm not looking for a 6-pack bubble heated chair. I just find it really an uncomfortable ride that I happily take as often as I can.

Ahh...ok. So it is more the physical chairs themselves and not the lift per se. In that case, a new lift should fix that no matter what it is I would imagine.

WinS

There were three reason why we had this in the long-term plan. Hopefully the design would allow the terminal to be a bit more uphill and remove the congestions on Downspout on a busy day, hopefully a design would allow for a lower profile and less exposure to the NW wind and a quad in heavier and also let wind vulnerable. A
If Valley House is any indication, it will only run at about 425 ft/min which is pretty much what Heaven's Gate runs at. Fixed grip quads can only run at 450 ft/min and they typically run slower to reduce misloads. I'm curious to see if they do a loading conveyor or not. It technically allows a fixed-grip quad to run slightly faster, but it is quite expensive and has caused a lot of problems for Valley House.
It runs slower than code allows because the unload was engineered steeper than we would have liked. When we first opened many skiers were not anticipating the unload and the chair was hitting them from behind and causing falls. If the unload at HG in better it should run faster than the 425 at VH.

HowieT2

Heavens gate runs at a similar speed to valley house? really? seems slower to me.

erdb1

I have been reluctant to comment on all this lift discussion. But here is a perspective on NRX. When it was installed by Claneil back in the 80’s it was advertised as the fastest lift in the USA and I think was the first top drive in the USA. The chain in the terminal as also unique and it hindsight not great. When Les Otten bought Sugarbush he moved it from where GMX is to its current location and put in the infamous “Slug”. We replaced the Slug with the current GMX. It is now at Jay Peak. When Les moved NRX he had Dopplemyr move a Poma lift. As a result neither wanted accountability for it in its new location. We did spend a lot of $ over the years. Specifically a new motor , new communication lines and new Drive. Also all the tower has been rewired a few times including I believe this summer. It happens to be a tough lift to maintain and none of the issue are due to anyone not focusing or spending dollars on it. One might argue that it should be replaced ahead of HG but that is a judgment call and since 75-80% of visitors ski at LP or ME, I certainly can‘t argue with that decision. Many of the comments that have been made in my opinion are misinformed and hopefully Sugarbush will respond with the facts. When I owned the resort one statistic I looked at carefully each year was the percent of time lifts ran without a mechanical to electrical problem and we were in most years around 99.5%. That is a very good result within the industry. But given the number of hours that the 16 lift run that could mean that there were 50-60 hours when lifts were down. The vast majority were minutes not hours. But occasionally a serious issue like a motor fail could cause a lift to be down for a day or more. That said if one is unlucky to be on a lift when it goes down for 10-15 minutes it can be a terrible experience and that frames ones opinion. I have skied 49 days this season and have over 450,000 vertical and have not experienced more than a minute of two of stoppage and some of those were due to misloads or unloads. (hopefully I have not jinxed myself 😜)
1) there can be arguments back and forth on how hard it is to keep a lift rolling, but IMO there's no excuse for the lack of communication. 90 min total shut down on a Sunday in the middle of the season and not a single word on what happened?

2) Genuine question: are there any industry standards on acceptable downtime percentages? Are resorts required to report these numbers to state agencies?

WinS

1) there can be arguments back and forth on how hard it is to keep a lift rolling, but IMO there's no excuse for the lack of communication. 90 min total shut down on a Sunday in the middle of the season and not a single word on what happened?

2) Genuine question: are there any industry standards on acceptable downtime percentages? Are resorts required to report these numbers to state agencies?
Your communication comment is reasonable. I suspect there will be one even if it is late. And yes, there are requirements to report significant issues to the VT Tram Authority. I am not aware of any standards that are shared, but in discussions I had with other operators a 99.5% was considered very good.

mikec142

I've understood your position and appreciated your concern for the most part. That said, I may be misinterpreting what you've written above. IMHO there can not be "legitimate" arguments back and forth on how hard it is to keep a lift running when one side has few facts and no expertise and the other side has all the facts and all the expertise. And if more expertise is needed that same side can simply reach out to Dopp or Poma or whomever. I wish you the best of luck when you reach out to Dopp and/or Poma to discuss potential fixes for NRX. ;)

mikec142

Win,

As always, your participation here is both informative and very much appreciated.

Cheetah440

Ahh...ok. So it is more the physical chairs themselves and not the lift per se. In that case, a new lift should fix that no matter what it is I would imagine.
Yeah, it's just me I've never heard anyone have the issue I apparently have with it.I get the arguments being made to focus elsewhere, I guess I don't have the hours on the mountain that most of you do to frame an opinion based on reliability issues. I can see how Bravo is a huge single point of failure. That's the heart of the place, that needs to move masses. Bravo and GH need to be bulletproof, this much I have figured out.

kingslug

Hate to say it ....but I've had pretty much zero issues at stowe..and park city...
Except the quad did blow its motor..but since fixed..no probs.
Tombstone lift went down for a day...then back in action.
But it's not like I'm worried about riding sb's lifts...they just need....some work.

cdskier

Hate to say it ....but I've had pretty much zero issues at stowe..and park city...
Except the quad did blow its motor..but since fixed..no probs.
Tombstone lift went down for a day...then back in action.
But it's not like I'm worried about riding sb's lifts...they just need....some work.

Some of it is luck. The one day I was at Stowe last year the Sensation Quad was down for about an hour or so for a mechanical issue (conveniently right at the time I hopped over to the Spruce side to check out the terrain there). I stuck it out lapping Sunny Spruce and taking a quick break in the lodge over there and then thankfully whatever was wrong was fixed and it opened back up.