• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
The issue with North Lynx is that its the natural progression lift for beginners. They master Pushover and then head up NLx. Most of 'em probably think its going to slow down at the terminals, which it definitely doesn't. And a lot of folks coming off Gate House think its a quad, which it isn't. Combine those factors and there are all your stops. I wouldn't say it needs to go... its been a pretty good, reliable lift all these years. But when replacement time does come, I can't see it being a quad... not for just 3 trails. It does help to spread the crowds, and it does give Southies all that access into SB.

Yes, Inverness is slow. I remember riding it and being passed by racers on the poma line below. Summit's another creaper lift as well.

My Sugarbush trip is coming up in a couple weeks, and I can't wait!!!

Lotso

The issue with North Lynx is that its the natural progression lift for beginners. They master Pushover and then head up NLx. Most of 'em probably think its going to slow down at the terminals, which it definitely doesn't. And a lot of folks coming off Gate House think its a quad, which it isn't. Combine those factors and there are all your stops. I wouldn't say it needs to go... its been a pretty good, reliable lift all these years. But when replacement time does come, I can't see it being a quad... not for just 3 trails. It does help to spread the crowds, and it does give Southies all that access into SB.

Yes, Inverness is slow. I remember riding it and being passed by racers on the poma line below. Summit's another creaper lift as well.

My Sugarbush trip is coming up in a couple weeks, and I can't wait!!!
Inverness is running on a very low speed due to mechanical/electrical issues. 15+ minutes...usually 8-9. Brutal.

Newpylong

As I was one of those GMVS punks in the 90s I can personally attest to how slow that lift feels even at normal speed. Then again all Poma fixed grip quads seem painfully slow to me. Used to rejoice when we ran the platter.

I also don't think North Lynx has to go at all, nothing inherently wrong with it capacity or reliability wise.

cdskier

I don't get the complaint about North Lynx. I have no issues with that lift and honestly it rarely seems to even stop when I'm on it.

FWIW...pretty good weekend. Only twice did I wait on a line more than 2-3 minutes...once at NRX on Sunday when I happened to get in line just as it stopped for some reason. Took about 5-10 minutes before it started moving again. Lots of people bailed on the line in that time so I was practically at the front when they got it going. The 2nd time was this morning when I got to CR a few minutes before it opened and had to wait maybe 5 minutes for it to open. The natural trails could use a healthy storm to cover up the firm bumps and surface underneath. I took a run in Eden on Saturday morning and was pleasantly surprised there. That usually gets tracked out quickly, but there was a considerable amount of untracked 6-8" in many spots.

The "stealth groom" on CR probably wasn't a bad idea before a holiday weekend. People were going to go up there anyway that probably shouldn't on a holiday. But not announcing it keeps everyone and their uncle from running there. CR Run and Middle Earth were both pretty fun this morning. Would have been nice if we had more than a dusting overnight though.

Lotso

As I was one of those GMVS punks in the 90s I can personally attest to how slow that lift feels even at normal speed. Then again all Poma fixed grip quads seem painfully slow to me. Used to rejoice when we ran the platter.

I also don't think North Lynx has to go at all, nothing inherently wrong with it capacity or reliability wise.
The new t-bar flies, and no more disc craters from the poma hitting the ground.

I just don't like how the footrests on NL are too short...my 6'3" frame does not work in that cage, especially with 2 tourists on the chair with me.

cdskier

This thread needs more photos...here's a few from this weekend:

Organgrinder Saturday morning:
428408226_25672129412385803_8706920973657789449_n.jpg

Murphy's Saturday morning:
428599068_25672129109052500_2108636547426082836_n.jpg

Eden Saturday morning:
428399723_25672130695719008_778290369424055638_n.jpg

Castlerock this morning:
428467797_25680607464871331_961520222009298668_n.jpg

Middle Earth this morning (honestly this is one of my absolute favorite views on the mountain from around this spot on Middle Earth)
428602070_25680607314871346_7217538499893274217_n.jpg

mikec142

I don't get the NL complaint either...there's plenty of lift issues that are worth mentioning, but that lift is really low on my list.

HG stopped multiple times when I was on it this weekend and yesterday it was crawling...I thought CR lift was running faster than HG. I did ride HG with a tall dude who complained that the bar crushed his legs...so I get that regarding NL.

Rode Super Bravo yesterday (I think it was yesterday) with two guys who were older than me...guessing early to mid 60's. Fun conversation about Carv (which I bought). One of them said he spends winters at Sugarbush and summers in Maine. Any chance it was one of you guys?

I probably should have hit the glades earlier in the weekend...for the most part I stayed out. Went into Deeper Sleeper (lower section) late in the day on Sunday and it was pretty tracked out, but doable.

mikec142

Is AZ still problematic? The traffic on this thread is way down. Kind of a bummer.

mikec142

Nice! I've been up at SB the past two weekends and I'm heading to Telluride tomorrow for a few days. When I get back from Colorado, I'm pretty certain my very understanding wife is going to clamp down a bit on my skiing for a weekend or two. So it might be 2-3 weeks before I'm back up at SB.

tumbler

Friday was great, Saturday was a rink. Sunday a bit better as it warmed up. With the weather coming I think that CR will be done because of the bottom melting out. They did a nice job of snowmaking the run down to the lift from Lower Jester but my capital project request would be to run a spur line down to the lift and over the bridge up to the corner so they could make snow there. That would keep it open much longer. They were already bringing snow in on Friday to make it barely passable. Lots of snow still on the trails.

Tin Woodsman

Friday was great, Saturday was a rink. Sunday a bit better as it warmed up. With the weather coming I think that CR will be done because of the bottom melting out. They did a nice job of snowmaking the run down to the lift from Lower Jester but my capital project request would be to run a spur line down to the lift and over the bridge up to the corner so they could make snow there. That would keep it open much longer. They were already bringing snow in on Friday to make it barely passable. Lots of snow still on the trails.
I'd extend it another 50-100' up beyond the corner to where it hits the sun on that last stretch, but yes this would easily add a couple weeks to the CR season each year if they did this.

Last edited: