• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

Gosh I hate to state the obvious, but the weather looks terrible and there doesn't seem to be any good news for the next 10+ days. So bummed right now.

cdskier

Yup...not good at all. Going to lose a decent number of trails/terrain over the next 10 days or so. What happens after that remains to be seen, but we'd need some significant winter storms after that to get us back on track.

Lotso

Snowing now so loss will be stopped for another 48 hrs until the week of heat arrives

cdskier

That is an ad...it wasn't just posted/created today (although it may just randomly pop up in your feed now). I first saw that days or maybe even a week+ ago at this point.

Lotso

I know it is windy, but surprised no guns on. I guess they will have to ride their snowpack, so as it is, until the end. Really need a storm, but I see nothing...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know it is windy, but surprised no guns on. I guess they will have to ride their snowpack, so as it is, until the end. Really need a storm, but I see nothing...
I'm not surprised. They made it through President's Week. They have everyone's money. For them, the season is over. It is just how they operate.

Lotso

I'm not surprised. They made it through President's Week. They have everyone's money. For them, the season is over. It is just how they operate.
Guns on now at many other competitors. Hope they got enough down or it will be a short spring here.

cdskier

I'm not surprised either. And this has been the way Sugarbush has done snowmaking for a long time. They make the desired depth on the trails and then they're done. I think I can only recall one time in the past dozen years that they made snow after President's week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not surprised either. And this has been the way Sugarbush has done snowmaking for a long time. They make the desired depth on the trails and then they're done. I think I can only recall one time in the past dozen years that they made snow after President's week.
This was how it was in my years there pre-Alterra. Most places, except Killington, are done making snow. Period.

ColdRain&Snow

Those being......who? Other than Killington.
2/29 2:40PM - Howdy Stratton! The Sun Bowl will reopen tomorrow with lift, lodge and parking access. Tomorrow 76 trails will be open for you to make turns on, all of which will take on fresh stripes by the morning. 9 Lifts including our learning carpets, Theodore and Oso are set to spin at 9AM- Potential delays due to winds. Snowmaking is in full force with snow guns planned to spread winter magic on 11 trails overnight to further base building and resurface trails. Have a great evening and I’ll be in touch bright and early tomorrow morning.

cdskier

2/29 2:40PM - Howdy Stratton! The Sun Bowl will reopen tomorrow with lift, lodge and parking access. Tomorrow 76 trails will be open for you to make turns on, all of which will take on fresh stripes by the morning. 9 Lifts including our learning carpets, Theodore and Oso are set to spin at 9AM- Potential delays due to winds. Snowmaking is in full force with snow guns planned to spread winter magic on 11 trails overnight to further base building and resurface trails. Have a great evening and I’ll be in touch bright and early tomorrow morning.

Also reinforcing that this is a local/Sugarbush decision (per their usual game-plan) and not an Alterra overall one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So Stratton, a fellow Alterra-owned resort is making snow. That may not go over well with Sugarbush skiers, but it is what it is.

As to Sunday River, I’d expect that from them.