• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

When you see them blowing Steins, Spring Fling/Snowball and Coffee run for the second time. That signals the build up for spring and they ae done after that. If you notice the land guns and all the hoses are back at the maintenence lot on Gongolier. Also comparing Sugarbush to other resort poicies is wasted breath. They have thier plan that has been in place for many years now. It is probably even more important to stick to the plan. They need to make budget and this year has not exactly been a great ski year. We will never know the numbers truely but they can't be great. I would say numbers are down from last year. The crowds have not been bad at all.

tumbler

It's been this way since ASC and I don't blame them for not making snow, it's very expensive. There is depth on the main trails and the skier traffic starts to go down in the next two weeks. There will be snow at elevation in March and April that will refresh.

Zand

Why are we comparing Sugarbush to anyone to the south? Everyone from Killington down in VT and Loon down in NH probably have a much higher snowmaking budget than Sugarbush and anyone north of there. It's been warm but I don't think anyone in far northern NE is in dire straits enough with their coverage to warrant making snow out of schedule. We saw it in 2012 when half of March was 60+ with 5 days in the 80s but that was a much more insane warmup than this will be.

cdskier

Why are we comparing Sugarbush to anyone to the south? Everyone from Killington down in VT and Loon down in NH probably have a much higher snowmaking budget than Sugarbush and anyone north of there. It's been warm but I don't think anyone in far northern NE is in dire straits enough with their coverage to warrant making snow out of schedule. We saw it in 2012 when half of March was 60+ with 5 days in the 80s but that was a much more insane warmup than this will be.

Excellent point. Would I like snow to be made to help improve conditions? Sure (but that has never been the SB way of dealing with a freeze/thaw in my years here). Is it needed from a base depth perspective on any key trails right now? Not really.

Zand

Looks like Killington and Stratton are the only VT ski areas making snow. Kind of surprised Mt Snow and Okemo aren't but also Vail sucks so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

slatham

Looks like Killington and Stratton are the only VT ski areas making snow. Kind of surprised Mt Snow and Okemo aren't but also Vail sucks so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Bromley and Magic area made snow.

Zand

I only checked the big names but good to see them taking advantage too! So it looks like everyone south of rt 4 not owned by Vail made snow last night.

VTSkiBike

Despite the impossibly firm conditions, Lincoln and Ellen have damn good coverage - there's no reason to make snow at this point.

The ungroomed, natural snow trails are getting quite thin (Castlerock especially) but they came away from Wednesday's wet weather with minimal damage. I love me some soft spring snow just hoping we get one more dump or before end of the month.

cdskier

I'll say that any ungroomed trails I tried today on the lower mountain were surprisingly not too bad. Lower Domino was very skiable. Twist to Lower Moonshine also not too bad. The end of Lower Moonshine is getting pretty thin though. Have to pick your way through the end a bit. That likely won't last the upcoming week...

Steins was the run of the day today IMO. Did that a bunch of times.

Zand

Is Castlerock even really skiable today? And I'm not talking about from a coverage standpoint, but I'm guessing anything ungroomed is like a 100% garbage frozen solid surface. I'd rather have the warm temps and some dirt at that rate....

cdskier

Is Castlerock even really skiable today? And I'm not talking about from a coverage standpoint, but I'm guessing anything ungroomed is like a 100% garbage frozen solid surface. I'd rather have the warm temps and some dirt at that rate....

I can't speak to higher elevations, but like I said in my previous post, the ungroomed on the lower half of the mountain is surprisingly not bad at all.