• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I stayed away from castle rock bc I didn’t want to wait. Skiing was great everywhere. World class powder day. Unusual that there was little wind. I got to the mtn at 7:30 and when I got back to the car there was easily a foot plus on it.

I did 1 run at CR when it opened. Was worth it for being early and not having a terribly long line when I got in it...but plenty of other stuff in great shape to not go back to it with a longer line.

rocks860

I’ll be out there tomorrow. What time do lifts start spinning Sundays? I’m gonna try to get there early

Cheetah440

I did 1 run at CR when it opened. Was worth it for being early and not having a terribly long line when I got in it...but plenty of other stuff in great shape to not go back to it with a longer line.
Skied Rumble at about 2pm and nobody had been down for at least an hour. The bottom half was spectacular powder. Will be at the CR chair at 8:45 waiting tomorrow

pinnoke

Best skis I own...
KS: Curious what other skis are in your quiver. I am retiring my Mantra M5's; and also enjoy my J Fastforwards! (In fact, I enjoy all my skis, including Scott Slight 100's; Ramp Groundhogs (100's, as well); and old Fischer Pro Mt 86 Ti's). I'm looking at the MasterBlasters (J's blemish sale) or Mantra M6's. Thoughts? I've loved the precision of my Mantras in the past. Will my existing Fastforwards fill the playful bill, or will I benefit most by adding the Masterblasters?

kingslug

Head kore 93,105,118
The blasters are good in everything..not floaty, but its rare when we get to float.
They have titanium on both sides running up to where it starts to rocker...so stiffer than the heads. On most days you can fly through anything. The heads will chatter like crazy as they are so light.
I skied 15 inches of very heavy snow with them and was glad to have them...

hovercraft

I'm sure Stowe has never had a single lift issue even with their new lifts, right?

Sugarbush already has plans to replace NRX. What more do you want? From an age perspective, it isn't something any mountain would already have budgeted or planned to replace prior to this point.

I'll still maintain as well that the lift issues in general are blown out of proportion. I ski a lot of days here and can't say I've had many days over the past dozen or so years that I've been a passholder that have genuinely been negatively impacted by mechanical lift issues.

I'm not sure what is so difficult for you to understand. They said the issue with Inverness is something that cannot be easily fixed mid-season. Unless you're a lift mechanic that somehow knows differently, what would you like them to do? The only time Inverness being down is an issue is if GMX goes down. It is a slow, redundant lift that serves a minimum amount of terrain. All the terrain off Inverness can be accessed from GMX. Yet somehow this is the end of the world for you?

And as for Summit..it actually did reopen at the end of the day today after the temporary closure. They just never bothered to update the text in the report (I've been on record here as saying they've been terrible at updating the report this year...so I'm not one bit surprised by that).
They have problems at times, the difference is they get fixed. You’re really not suggesting over the last 5 to 7 years that SB has had stellar lift service are you? The lift systems has been in disarray for years.

SteezyRob

Its not supposed to be an in depth weather report. Get a grip.

I know you're all a bunch of old boomers, and that any way of speaking that isn't similar to yours is offensive, but shit...do you know who is actually reading these and skiing? Young folks. Gen Z. They relate to this. You all think it's supposed to be a comprehensive weather statement but its not. It's just saying what happened, and what's on the ground. Its RELATABLE to young people. Frankly, this forum is dead to us.
as the youngest person on the site, the sugarbush weather report is incredibly cringe.
anyways skiing today was insane at mrg.

cdskier

They have problems at times, the difference is they get fixed. You’re really not suggesting over the last 5 to 7 years that SB has had stellar lift service are you? The lift systems has been in disarray for years.

Disarray? LOL. How many days a year do you actually ski at SB again? With the exception of NRX, I'm really struggling to see what key lifts have had issues that haven't been fixed.

Lotso

Wow....what a weekend. Lower FIS, Tumbler, Hammerhead yesterday...awesome. Today crazy crowded...ME parked to German Flats

What a weekend to not have NRX running. Argh

But huge fun

thetrailboss

Staff member
Totally unacceptable. Really. And no slidebrook either. So bad
Coming from a 30,000 foot view, was SBX closed due to the lack of snow underneath it earlier this week? Was it mothballed for the season a few weeks ago? And I know that staffing is always an issue, but normally this time of the season they begin to slow down. Have some staff left?

I'd completely expect it to be batshit crazy today. New snow, unlimited access for IKON, cleared roads (or more clear), lots of locals who may not have been able to get out yesterday. Back in my time there were days like this with cars up and down the access road to German Flats at ME. Usually a nice spring day or after a storm. It's just too bad that it took what, two weeks of rain, 60 F, and shitty conditions to get two amazing ski days. Apparently it may get warm again soon?

Lotso

Coming from a 30,000 foot view, was SBX closed due to the lack of snow underneath it earlier this week? Was it mothballed for the season a few weeks ago? And I know that staffing is always an issue, but normally this time of the season they begin to slow down. Have some staff left?
No idea, but I have ridden SX later in the season and with less snow under it. My guess is staff