• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
NRX is borderline old. There's still quite a few detachable quads out there that are about the same age or even older than NRX. And with ME's season being on the shorter side, from an hours perspective, it is younger than the age would indicate. And it was rebuilt by Dopp only 10 years ago (that was separate from the rebuilding of the motor you mentioned). The thought was at the time that would address the issues. It is hard to argue with the logic for rebuilding it at the time. But being a Poma/Dopp combination (and having been moved) makes it unique and likely contributes to some of the issues. The frequent lightning strikes over the summer can't be good either.
Nah, NRX is very old for a HSQ. I can only think of a relative handful of HSQ's that are older. Honestly, only Killington-Pico's 1980's era Yan HSQs (Superstar, Snowshed, Summit, Golden Express) are the only ones at a major ski area that are older. Mount Snow might still have one or two Yan/Poma frankenlifts. Those lifts have been rebuilt multiple times now. There are a few oddballs at smaller places. Owls Head in Quebec has an old Dopp HSQ. Stowe's Four Runner was a 1986 Poma and it is long gone. The Bethlehem Express at Bretton Woods is a 1989 Dopp HSQ. Finally, I know that Mont Sutton has an ancient Dopp HSQ from 1985! So I can't think of any other Poma HSQ's that are older than the 1990 GMX/NRX. It is a piece of history for sure.

I think that only the Owls Head HSQ is a cadence chain HSQ like NRX. All of the later Dopps and Yans were wheel driven IIRC.

I still can hear the distinct sound of a chair on NRX going over the sheave trains. I really liked that lift. How the hell has it been 13 years since I last rode it?!

Last edited:

cdskier

Nah, NRX is very old for a HSQ. I can only think of a relative handful of HSQ's that are older. Honestly, only Killington-Pico's 1980's era Yan HSQs (Superstar, Snowshed, Summit, Golden Express) are the only ones at a major ski area that are older. Mount Snow might still have one or two Yan/Poma frankenlifts. Those lifts have been rebuilt multiple times now. There are a few oddballs at smaller places. Owls Head in Quebec has an old Dopp HSQ. Stowe's Four Runner was a 1986 Poma and it is long gone. The Bethlehem Express at Bretton Woods is a 1989 Dopp HSQ. Finally, I know that Mont Sutton has an ancient Dopp HSQ from 1985! So I can't think of any other Poma HSQ's that are older than the 1990 GMX/NRX. It is a piece of history for sure.

I think that only the Owls Head HSQ is a cadence chain HSQ like NRX. All of the later Dopps and Yans were wheel driven IIRC.

I still can hear the distinct sound of a chair on NRX going over the sheave trains. I really liked that lift. How the hell has it been 13 years since I last rode it?!

Of the 11 Poma detach quads built in the US or Canada in 1988-1990, 8 are still operational. (There's even still a Poma detach quad built in 1986 that is still operational), I'm not saying it isn't due for replacement (it absolutely is), but just merely pointing out that it isn't even close to the last one of that particular generation still around. So not exactly like Sugarbush is lagging behind.

djd66

The good news is, I saw the NRX spinning on the webcam yesterday, so I’m guessing they have the part ( scotch tape and super glue) they need.

VTSkiBike

Lift issues aside, it would be nice to have bit more transparency when the lift lines are insane and NRX and Inverness aren't moving. Guests might be more sympathetic is there's a legit reason the lifts aren't turning.

I rode up with a lifty on Sunday and he said Inverness wasn't running due to lack of staffing. Might be true but who the hell knows.

Whatever, it was a hell of a weekend. Saturday morning was definitely the highlight with dumping snow and short lines at Ellen. Yesterday was a struggle with the crowds but worth it. I'm heading back today after work with my skins for the some leftovers.

cdskier

Lift issues aside, it would be nice to have bit more transparency when the lift lines are insane and NRX and Inverness aren't moving. Guests might be more sympathetic is there's a legit reason the lifts aren't turning.

Do people not read the snow reports? NRX's reason for being closed was mentioned in the report since Friday. (They also posted a "story" on social media about it for those that look at that). Not sure how much more transparent they could have been for NRX.

Inverness hasn't run in weeks and based on what they said earlier this year about the issues it was having, I doubt it is a staffing issue. Since NRX was closed as well, worst case the staff you would have had normally assigned to NRX could have been on Inverness.

VTSkiBike

Do people not read the snow reports? NRX's reason for being closed was mentioned in the report since Friday. (They also posted a "story" on social media about it for those that look at that). Not sure how much more transparent they could have been for NRX.

Inverness hasn't run in weeks and based on what they said earlier this year about the issues it was having, I doubt it is a staffing issue. Since NRX was closed as well, worst case the staff you would have had normally assigned to NRX could have been on Inverness.

I read a vague comment on the snow report an an "part being overnighted" and not everyone is on social media (like me.) What would have been better would've been something like, "There may be longer wait times today because the NRX lift is awaiting a part and the Inverness lift won't run due to ________. Thanks everyone for their patience."

I overhead many people questioning why 2 lifts were just sitting there while the lines were huge. If I were a casual skier considering making more trips to Sugarbush, this would make me question coming back.

cdskier

I read a vague comment on the snow report an an "part being overnighted" and not everyone is on social media (like me.) What would have been better would've been something like, "There may be longer wait times today because the NRX lift is awaiting a part and the Inverness lift won't run due to ________. Thanks everyone for their patience."

I overhead many people questioning why 2 lifts were just sitting there while the lines were huge. If I were a casual skier considering making more trips to Sugarbush, this would make me question coming back.

A vague comment? Here is word for word what it said Saturday:
North Ridge will remain closed while we await a special part that has been overnighted. Depending upon today's storm we may receive the part in time to open the lift Sunday or it be may be early next week.

And here's Sunday:
North Ridge will remain closed today to get her up, running and ready to go for the week.

Only thing I would agree with is they could have called out Inverness being closed for whatever reason they wanted to mention. But I have no issues with what they said about NRX being down.

Hawk

It was a huge weekend for skiing. I did early untracked runs Saturday, slidebrook for the first time in weeks, a few lesser know spots and even skied a new to me line. Sunday was one of the biggest days in years. Mad River Glen sold out and they were parking the cars almost 1/2 way down to the Battegrounds with cars stuffed everywhere. Lincoln peak was stuffed also. They were parking cars everywhere also. Lot F, the Shark and below, 22 Acre lot and they were parking down in the lot at Club Sugarbush accross from Alpine options. That is the first time I have heard of that. I skied early on Sunday and skidadled so I was not part of the frey when all those people finnally got on the hill. I think that I have been here long enough that I am not going to weigh in on the lifts. I will simply say, Altera is working on it. HG this year. Maybe Northridge next. And yes I would not be broken hearted if people shunned Sugarbush. I'm not going anywhere and will play th elong game. Looks like things are going to plan for me.

HowieT2

yesterday was an all time great ski day in my book. warm sun and and fresh cold snow.
Would have gotten more runs if nrx was running and while the lines looked horrific, I never waited more than 10 minutes.
Best run on black diamond of my life. Bravo was great. couple of runs through the woods to the fis runout.

i heard a couple of people speculating that slidebrook wasnt running because of staffing but dont believe that to be true. Me thinks they just arent inclined to run that lift

tumbler

The reason for Slidey B ;) not running is probably they were not able to go out there and groom/pack down the access roads to the lift line. They're not going to send the lift mechanics out there in that much fresh snow on top of bare ground and flowing water.

HowieT2

The reason for Slidey B ;) not running is probably they were not able to go out there and groom/pack down the access roads to the lift line. They're not going to send the lift mechanics out there in that much fresh snow on top of bare ground and flowing water.
good point. fwiw there were multiple open water bars on the fis runout

rocks860

Skied yesterday from 8 until 1 or so. Legs were beat and didn’t feel like waiting in line anymore. Paradise was awesome. Best conditions I’ve seen on there in a long time. Skiing today and likely tomorrow. TBD on the rest of the week. Here’s a couple pictures from yesterday and today. First two are paradise from yesterday. Last is castle rock run from today

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1506.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1509.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 24

Hawk

I skied elevator shaft, door # 2 and other places and there is no access issues. Skiied all the way out and hit nothing. I actually saw snow mobil tracks on the upper road to the lift and all the water bars are mostly filled in. So I call BS. Just saying. ;-)