• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

elfnif1016

How is there not more than 5 days notice? This obviously had to have been planned. Keep Ellen open week or two longer? Weird.
That would make sense, but ever since they switched the end of season focus to South years ago, end of March has been a hard close for North/Mt Ellen. I'm sure staffing is also an issue as the J-1 visas for the kids from South America only are valid for 90 days, and most of them started in late December. 25 years ago, North stayed open until the end of the season instead of South as the snow would not melt as fast given the solar exposure difference. But that was another time.

Check out the Green Mountain Lounge if you are there on Sunday. Last year, they were trying to get rid of beer inventory. Cans of good VT micro beers were $5 each. Could happen again.

crippity

I would never claim to even have a clue on what it takes for these installs but man o man this seems like a redic drop of the ball from a communication perspective. Who is making these decisions? How do you let people know 5 days before? Im just getting caught up in reading the social media responses and of course its snowballing or an avalanche at this point.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Bummer about the complete shutdown of everything right of Lower OG to CR. I still have a TBD ticket to use and it isn't good until after 4/1. Would have been nice to have MEllen for at least a bonus weekend or two, Regardless, hope the Snowball exposure can hold its own for a few weeks.

Cheetah440

Bummer about the complete shutdown of everything right of Lower OG to CR. I still have a TBD ticket to use and it isn't good until after 4/1. Would have been nice to have MEllen for at least a bonus weekend or two, Regardless, hope the Snowball exposure can hold its own for a few weeks.
Now you know why the deal was $99…..if it’s too good to be true, it usually is.

cdskier

Damn...we knew they were likely to start the HG project in early April, but I don't think I expected it to literally be April 1st. I thought we'd get one more weekend out of it after Easter. Officially they don't even have the Act 250 permit yet (response deadline/end of comment period was just yesterday). Although I suspect they can still start some work dismantling HG even before having the permit.

And I fully agree that this was poorly managed from a communication standpoint. I bet a lot of people wouldn't have bought that $99 ticket deal if they knew half of LP would be closed. I also probably would have tried to get another run or two in on HG last weekend if I knew that was the last time I'd ever ride it (timing of Easter doesn't help). Personally I was expecting it to close after the first weekend in April.

NewEnglander77

Can't tell if all of this poor communication and decision making is incompetence or intentional or a mix of both. So painful to witness.

Heavens Gate will not effect me, but it will for many on a budget that purchased the spring $99 pass. Not good customer service or PR. Do they not care about the backlash? Just read the comments on Instagram or anywhere else for that matter. Would it effect the bottom line to add to the announcement that they are refunding the $99 passes or offering an any day pass next season?

With regards to replacing North Ridge and also applies to Heavens Gate: A lot of planning and permitting has to be done prior. No reason they shouldn't have started years ago for all planned lift replacements and have permits in hand. Ready to go once capitol is allocated and allows for expediting when necessary or possible.

No excuse for poor planning.

djd66

What I don’t get, why do they have to close half of the mountain for all 7 days? Is there going to be equipment on those trails Saturday and Sunday for the next 2 weekends? Sure, they will have equipment dismantling whatever is getting dismantled. But I can’t imagine there will be that much equipment spread out on the mountain. Would it be that big of a deal to move things around just for weekend skiing?

4 days notice on this is complete BS. A good part of the season has sucked up until the past 2 weeks. Shutting Ellen and half of Lincoln with all the good snow sucks!

djd66

Does anyone know if they are still doing the Lincoln Limo rental? In the past you could rent it for the day at Ellen when it closes. If they get a dump that would be very cool - especially considering how much of a base they have.

FourOhFour

What I don’t get, why do they have to close half of the mountain for all 7 days? Is there going to be equipment on those trails Saturday and Sunday for the next 2 weekends? Sure, they will have equipment dismantling whatever is getting dismantled. But I can’t imagine there will be that much equipment spread out on the mountain. Would it be that big of a deal to move things around just for weekend skiing?
They're probably going to plow a road up to Heaven's Gate in order to move the equipment and it doesn't make sense to try to reconnect the trails afterwards.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ouch. With the potential for foot of snow next week, Ellen closing, bad timing for them:

For us to maintain the construction schedule and have the new quad ready for you next season, we must begin construction this Monday, April 1, which means this Sunday, March 31 will be the last day for the four-decades old Heaven’s Gate Triple. Yes, we know we just got a great shot of snow. And yes, we know the Totality is only 12 days away. But there are about a million moving parts when it comes to installing a new quad chair, and we need to ensure we have enough time to properly do the work so the new chair spins when the snow falls next season.
The closing and subsequent moving of heavy machinery, and transportation and construction of materials also requires us to close some other parts of the mountain to maintain the required safety perimeter. As such, we will be closing the Castlerock Double after this weekend along with all the terrain skier’s-left of Lower Organgrinder including Downspout, Domino, parts of Lower Jester and Heaven’s Gate Traverse, and Gondolier.
We know it’s a bummer to see this terrain close a couple weeks early, but we promise it will absolutely be worth it when we’re all flying to the top of Lincoln Peak in a new quad next season. So come on up this weekend and take a few last rides on the Heaven’s Gate Triple! The ol’ dog put in an incredible career these past 40 years and well deserves its incoming retirement.

Killington continuing to get the crowds

How is there not more than 5 days notice? This obviously had to have been planned. Keep Ellen open week or two longer? Weird.

No heavens gate for late season is some bull

I would never claim to even have a clue on what it takes for these installs but man o man this seems like a redic drop of the ball from a communication perspective. Who is making these decisions? How do you let people know 5 days before? Im just getting caught up in reading the social media responses and of course its snowballing or an avalanche at this point.

Now you know why the deal was $99…..if it’s too good to be true, it usually is.

Damn...we knew they were likely to start the HG project in early April, but I don't think I expected it to literally be April 1st. I thought we'd get one more weekend out of it after Easter. Officially they don't even have the Act 250 permit yet (response deadline/end of comment period was just yesterday). Although I suspect they can still start some work dismantling HG even before having the permit.

And I fully agree that this was poorly managed from a communication standpoint. I bet a lot of people wouldn't have bought that $99 ticket deal if they knew half of LP would be closed. I also probably would have tried to get another run or two in on HG last weekend if I knew that was the last time I'd ever ride it (timing of Easter doesn't help). Personally I was expecting it to close after the first weekend in April.

Can't tell if all of this poor communication and decision making is incompetence or intentional or a mix of both. So painful to witness.

Heavens Gate will not effect me, but it will for many on a budget that purchased the spring $99 pass. Not good customer service or PR. Do they not care about the backlash? Just read the comments on Instagram or anywhere else for that matter. Would it effect the bottom line to add to the announcement that they are refunding the $99 passes or offering an any day pass next season?

With regards to replacing North Ridge and also applies to Heavens Gate: A lot of planning and permitting has to be done prior. No reason they shouldn't have started years ago for all planned lift replacements and have permits in hand. Ready to go once capitol is allocated and allows for expediting when necessary or possible.

No excuse for poor planning.

What's wrong homeslices? ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Communications? I seem to remember hearing that the snow reporting and overall communications have been an issue for a long time at SB.

Spring skiing at LP without Castlerock or HG is pretty limited and won't last too, too long unless they have really buried a few runs. It almost seems as if they have already received your money and are cutting back on what is not a profitable time of the season.

Sounds like some need to vent in the Alterra sucks thread..... ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does anyone know if they are still doing the Lincoln Limo rental? In the past you could rent it for the day at Ellen when it closes. If they get a dump that would be very cool - especially considering how much of a base they have.
Well, if social media is anything, SB has told folks that they can certainly hike up Mount Ellen after April 1st. That message is not going over too well at all!

crippity

What's wrong homeslices? ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Communications? I seem to remember hearing that the snow reporting and overall communications have been an issue for a long time at SB.

Spring skiing at LP without Castlerock or HG is pretty limited and won't last too, too long unless they have really buried a few runs. It almost seems as if they have already received your money and are cutting back on what is not a profitable time of the season.

Sounds like some need to vent in the Alterra sucks