• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

slatham

Yea...for this year you could use it as a bonus weekend, but beyond that would have required a massive shift in snowmaking plans. Although I think realistically once you get further into April, then people are ok with just Valley House. It really is the abrupt cutting of pretty close to 2/3 of your terrain in one shot that people aren't happy about (losing ME plus losing HG/CR and some terrain off Super Bravo). A single bonus weekend at ME would have gone a long way to pacifying people. What Shady suggested is realistically all you need. And he's right that we did have a bonus weekend at ME one year under Win when there was a lot of snow.
^This. ME open Friday-Monday eclipse weekend would have completely eliminated the current uproar. Are they that ignorant, or that uncaring? Either way, makes one question their competence in a customer-focused business.

It’s not too late for them the make good…..

Lotso

Oddly enough, there are plenty of hotel rooms available for that weekend. Even the Clay Brook Hotel is $500 off. :LOL:
My sister found a Mountainside unit on AirBB 2 days ago. Was going to stay with us but out @#(*& septic system has bit the dust

Lotso

Sugarbush FB blowing up over this. Do they ever respond or just take the punches?

Lotso

The fact that they have not responded at all is pretty bad.
Fantasy Land snow report we'd love to see:

"Hey my Dudes! We hear you. We value you. We dug deep and have found a way to open Mt. Ellen for one more weekend, plus Eclipse Monday! We realize the construction at Lincoln Peak has really taken a bite out of our terrain, and we want to Be Better, to go enjoy Mellen next weekend as we close its 60th season with a bang!"

I also believe in the Easter Bunny, world peace, and that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll...

Coffee's ready...back to reality.

Smellytele

Fantasy Land snow report we'd love to see:

"Hey my Dudes! We hear you. We value you. We dug deep and have found a way to open Mt. Ellen for one more weekend, plus Eclipse Monday! We realize the construction at Lincoln Peak has really taken a bite out of our terrain, and we want to Be Better, to go enjoy Mellen next weekend as we close its 60th season with a bang!"

I also believe in the Easter Bunny, world peace, and that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll...

Coffee's ready...back to reality.
Well the last one of your beliefs is true. So you're saying there is a chance?

slatham

Not sure if true - maybe Hawk or someone can confirm - but I heard Mt Ellen is available for rent in April? If so, presumably they have staff to at least run lifts.

Getskied

Not sure if true - maybe Hawk or someone can confirm - but I heard Mt Ellen is available for rent in April? If so, presumably they have staff to at least run lifts.
Yes, and I am guessing (with no evidence, just based on recent past history for the first weekend in April) it is already rented for next weekend anyway.

cdskier

Yes, and I am guessing (with no evidence, just based on recent past history for the first weekend in April) it is already rented for next weekend anyway.

That would actually be an even bigger kick in the teeth to pass-holders and ticket holders.

NewEnglander77

I thought I saw an offering of availability for April rentals. If it is in fact rented, this is why they can't pivot to Ellen and it would not go over well at all if that was stated publically as the reason.

Last edited:

NewEnglander77

Little poster at Lincoln Peak says Mt Ellen is available for rent in April, 10am-2pm, for $7800 plus a minimum $1000 food/beverage.
Wonder how they staff that if staffing is such a challenge after the j-1's leave? Where there's a will there's a way and the same could be said to opening Mount Ellen as an accommodation.

mikec142

While I think the communication was done very poorly, the HG replacement WAS announced as starting in early April a few months ago. I only recall seeing it announced once though. If I were SB, I would have been mentioning this fact on a weekly basis so I was transparent about things. The way I see it, there are three issues. First is the exact date wasn't communicated. Second is the extent of the closed terrain wasn't explained. Third is the ticket deal where one of the days had to be after 4/1.

From my personal perspective, while I'm a bit bummed because I always hold out hope for another weekend of skiing, this doesn't really change much for me. This will be the first March that I haven't skied SB in many years. But the reality for me is that once Mount Ellen closes and terrain at LP starts to melt off, I'm less likely to do the 5.5 hour drive to ski limited terrain. There's a small chance I make it up there on 4/6 and stay/ski 4/7-4/8. But after that...it's not that likely. It's tough for me to motivate to drive 5.5 hours to ski limited terrain. Part of the appeal of spring skiing is soft bumps for 2 hours and then beers in the courtyard. But again, 11 hours in the car roundtrip seems like a lot for that.

mikec142

BTW, thanks to all who chimed in with advice for my quick trip to Utah. We were forced to ski Deer Valley 2 of the 3 days due to storms and the difficulty in getting from PC to the LCC/BCC which wasn't ideal. But, we skied Snowbird on a Bluebird Wednesday after a storm and it was a top three lifetime ski day.ski edit.jpegIMG_0093.jpegIMG_0087.jpegIMG_0113.jpeg

Lotso