• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lotso

I still think they would earn back actual dollars as well as the trust of their loyal customers if they make an effort to open ME next extended weekend. If the weather is good, this will be busy like a holiday weekend. I know it takes dough and staff to open ME, but this seems like leaving money on the table and being penny wise and pound foolish.

Hawk

There are a large amount of uniformed opinions on here. I am not going to even try to set any kind of record straight. I will say this. I knew that the HG was going to close in early April. People at the mountain have been saying this since the begining of the season. Did they do a report to the general public via blog post or communication. It appears not but all of the people I know and ski with knew this. The closing of the trails and run out below was not really mentioned but it makes total sence. The Castlerock closing is not a surprise at all. There is not much snow there anyway and if I really want it, there is a way to ski it Mt ellen closing has been published so that is not a surprise. I personally am not outraged. I have options. But I can see the proplem with those that bought the tickects that are only good in April. I think the solution should have been to delay Mt. Ellen for a week or two. Even if it was only Friday Saturday and Sunday. That would probaby make the most sense.

and....ABC no need to be that snarky. Either you are in tune with the eclipse or you are not. Many people have extremely busy lives with challenging work or life issues and quite frankly really don't have time to care. Wheather you have the time and and resources to view it is a first world problem. We here at sugarbush will be here at 3:26 we will get 2.5 minutes of totality while the Grift will be recreating the Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. Tust me, we will be having a great day with our friends and won't have to travel to be somewhere else.

abc

ABC no need to be that snarky. Either you are in tune with the eclipse or you are not. Many people have extremely busy lives with challenging work or life issues and quite frankly really don't have time to care. Wheather you have the time and and resources to view it is a first world problem. We here at sugarbush will be here at 3:26 we will get 2.5 minutes of totality while the Grift will be recreating the Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. Tust me, we will be having a great day with our friends and won't have to travel to be somewhere else.
Really? Did you see the snarky comment I was responding to? Or was personal attack considered a cut above snarky?

All your comment about busy life is right on. It applies to the comment I was responding to. But you think it’s worse to have missed a detail than to not know about better options instead?

cdskier

Mt ellen closing has been published so that is not a surprise. I personally am not outraged. I have options. But I can see the proplem with those that bought the tickects that are only good in April. I think the solution should have been to delay Mt. Ellen for a week or two. Even if it was only Friday Saturday and Sunday. That would probaby make the most sense.

Oh I'm not outraged either, just very disappointed in the way it was handled. I also have options. And the solution you mention I think is exactly what would have avoided 95% of the current complaints. And I don't even think it needed to be "or two" for the extra week. Just one extra Fri-Sun at ME the first weekend in April would have done the trick (and maybe extending to Mon simply due to the eclipse). Once you get further into April the expectation of more than VH drops quickly.

slatham

Subject change if I may. Local kid organizing a charity event to benefit the Howard Center. I and my daughter are NOT local, but we have family in Warren, so she was invited to perform (she lives in BTV now). That aside, it’s the organization that warrants your attention.

“Howard Center helps people and communities thrive by providing services to address mental health, substance use, and developmental needs.”

1711838336635.png

SteezyRob

You’re right. Because I’m flying to a much sunnier location for the eclipse. So I remember the eclipse being at 2pm instead of 4.

Yeah, no fucking clue that people in the northeast make such a big fuss about it :ROFLMAO: when in all likelihood most people will see are probably just darkness, without the sun, never mind the eclipse.
brother you're goofy as hell for flying to see the eclipse

all of this fuss makes me happy that I ski mrg most of the time.. only downside is that is ruins sugarbush for me, I hate how the trails are cut, just seems so unnatural and corporate, at least the for trails i'm skiing when I'm there, usually early and late season.

have they closed gatehouse/north lynx yet? would they be able to run that a few more weeks?

cdskier

have they closed gatehouse/north lynx yet? would they be able to run that a few more weeks?

Still open. How long depends on the snow and weather. That side melts out fast given the exposure. There were some spots that were thin already a couple weeks ago before the new snow on that side.

Hawk

Well the Grift was prety awesome last night. Any of you make it out? or was it past your bedtime. LOL
MRG yesterday, finishing up today with HG. 4 day weekend with possible pow to start and eclipse to finish next weekeing. All is good in my world.

KustyTheKlown

brother you're goofy as hell for flying to see the eclipse

all of this fuss makes me happy that I ski mrg most of the time.. only downside is that is ruins sugarbush for me, I hate how the trails are cut, just seems so unnatural and corporate, at least the for trails i'm skiing when I'm there, usually early and late season.

Even goofier considering the forecast shows more likely clear skies in New England vs Texas/the south

going to see an eclipse over new england ski country on a monday is just a long ski weekend for any of us. a bonus thing/day on a trip we'd all generally make anyway. easily, by car, at minimal fuss and expense. getting on an airplane to indirectly stare at the sun for 5 minutes is def some goof troop stuff. Inexplicable goofy dumb shit is her par tho

Way to travel sOuTh fOr the eCliPsE

17117254634af0e92608be4b1d8aa8001ade86d04c.jpeg

Cheetah440

Well the Grift was prety awesome last night. Any of you make it out? or was it past your bedtime. LOL
MRG yesterday, finishing up today with HG. 4 day weekend with possible pow to start and eclipse to finish next weekeing. All is good in my world.
MRG was great Sat. Skied Paradise woods all day yesterday and was awesome.

Cheetah440

I have to admit...I'm half tempted to consider driving down to K (from my condo at SB) at some point one April weekend depending on terrain available and potential conditions.
That’s our plan Sat. Sbush is done at this point and MRG is going to be smashed Sat. I’m sure Kmart will be too but they will be basically 100% open and will be awesome, a lot more snow there now and this storm coming is likely to once again deliver more there than north.

skiur

That’s our plan Sat. Sbush is done at this point and MRG is going to be smashed Sat. I’m sure Kmart will be too but they will be basically 100% open and will be awesome, a lot more snow there now and this storm coming is likely to once again deliver more there than north.

Saturday is mogul challenge at K. Best party of the year at bear and the rest of the mountain will be relatively empty if u don't care for the party.

abc

Even goofier considering the forecast shows more likely clear skies in New England vs Texas/the south

going to see an eclipse over new england ski country on a monday is just a long ski weekend for any of us. a bonus thing/day on a trip we'd all generally make anyway. easily, by car, at minimal fuss and expense. getting on an airplane to indirectly stare at the sun for 5 minutes is def some goof troop stuff. Inexplicable goofy dumb shit is her par tho

Way to travel sOuTh fOr the eCliPsE
I have a refundably flight on SW that I can cancel 10 min prior to take off time. But I will make the decision probably by Saturday, because I also have several refundable hotel reservation in NY and Canada (Ontario/Quebec). :)

The plus of flying down to Dallas is I get to visit my cousin, who gotten married during the pandemic so I haven’t met his new wife yet.

If the wether is better near Niagara, I’ll be visiting my gang of childhood friends in Toronto and probably car pool to Niagara or Kingston on Monday. My cousin will flying north to meet up with us.

If the weather is best in Quebec, I’ll ditch my family and friends, and ski in the Eastern Township.

:)

If you consider looking at the sun through dark glasses is “indirect”, I guess you’re a tougher man than most! ;) (hope you don’t mind the little blind spot the rest of your life)

Last edited:

Zermatt

I have a refundably flight on SW that I can cancel 10 min prior to take off time. But I will make the decision probably by Saturday, because I also have several refundable hotel reservation in NY and Canada (Ontario/Quebec). :)

The plus of flying down to Dallas is I get to visit my cousin, who gotten married during the pandemic so I haven’t met his new wife yet.

If the wether is better near Niagara, I’ll be visiting my gang of childhood friends in Toronto and probably car pool to Niagara or Kingston on Monday. My cousin will flying north to meet up with us.

If the weather is best in Quebec, I’ll ditch my family and friends, and ski in the Eastern Township.

:)

If you consider looking at the sun through dark glasses is “indirect”, I guess you’re a tougher man than most! ;) (hope you don’t mind the little blind spot the rest of your life)
I have a non refundable flight on United that cost next to nothing (will get a credit for cancelling) and will also be making a decision Saturday afternoon on Texas or Vermont.

cdskier

Saturday is mogul challenge at K. Best party of the year at bear and the rest of the mountain will be relatively empty if u don't care for the party.

Strongly considering Pico at the moment for Saturday. Haven't been there in likely close to 15 years at this point and looks like they could potentially be in excellent shape next weekend for their last of the season.

crippity

Love Pico. But there is no need at this point. Just goto K and enjoy all the terrain that is open. DM me if you want to follow how to follow lifts and flow pattern at K

cdskier

Love Pico. But there is no need at this point. Just goto K and enjoy all the terrain that is open. DM me if you want to follow how to follow lifts and flow pattern at K

I'm not choosing Pico to avoid crowds or anything like that. I'm leaning towards it because I love the terrain there (from what I remember at least) and haven't skied it in ages (I've been to K a number of times since the last time I was at Pico). So I feel this could be a good time to make it back there.

skiur

I'm not choosing Pico to avoid crowds or anything like that. I'm leaning towards it because I love the terrain there (from what I remember at least) and haven't skied it in ages (I've been to K a number of times since the last time I was at Pico). So I feel this could be a good time to make it back there.

Will they be running the outpost double? They haven't much this year and that's the best terrain at pico. You can still hit it if they aren't but requires a short hike and a long runout.