• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Will they be running the outpost double? They haven't much this year and that's the best terrain at pico. You can still hit it if they aren't but requires a short hike and a long runout.

I have no idea. I hope they do as that is one area I never happened to explore at Pico. But also doubt that impacts my plan at all if it isn't running.

mikec142

FWIW, the single chair weather blog is making this incoming storm look really big!

If that's the case, while it's frustrating to have limited terrain at SB, Moonshine/Twist/The Mall would all be really fun and I would think they would normally be pretty rough at this time of year.

cdskier

FWIW, the single chair weather blog is making this incoming storm look really big!

If that's the case, while it's frustrating to have limited terrain at SB, Moonshine/Twist/The Mall would all be really fun and I would think they would normally be pretty rough at this time of year.

Meanwhile Scott Braaten suggested tempering expectations a bit (although he still expects a good chance of a foot, but isn't as bullish on this as Josh is). My gut says Josh is high on this one. Even hitting the lower end of Josh's predictions I'm not so sure materializes (particularly based on more recent model runs since Josh's post).

Edit...also have to keep in mind that the highest amounts Josh is forecasting are also at elevations that SB will not have open. There could be significant differences even just between ~1500' (base) and ~3000' (top of Super Bravo).

Last edited:

HowieT2

Meanwhile Scott Braaten suggested tempering expectations a bit (although he still expects a good chance of a foot, but isn't as bullish on this as Josh is). My gut says Josh is high on this one. Even hitting the lower end of Josh's predictions I'm not so sure materializes (particularly based on more recent model runs since Josh's post).

Edit...also have to keep in mind that the highest amounts Josh is forecasting are also at elevations that SB will not have open. There could be significant differences even just between ~1500' (base) and ~3000' (top of Super Bravo).
and josh's forecast hasnt been updated since yesterday morning.

mikec142

Bummer. I haven't been up since late February (I did have two trips out west though) so I don't know what it looks like and it's usually hard to get a good feel from the webcams. But if the storm could make Moonshine/Twist/The Mall/Eden/Deeper Sleeper/North Lynx terrain enjoyable, it would be a huge win for this late in the season.

abc

I have a non refundable flight on United that cost next to nothing (will get a credit for cancelling) and will also be making a decision Saturday afternoon on Texas or Vermont.
My flight was on Saturday afternoon (extra time down there as I’m visiting relatives). So I have to make a decision on before Saturday.

I guess we’re the only two who really care about totality.

When I book the flight, I was going by the “historic” cloud probability between Texas and NY/VT/ON/QC which, while Texas was better but wasn’t a clear winner (50% vs 70% cloud). So I knew I may not get a clear answer even on Sunday. A 20% chance of cloud can happen 100% just around the totality time :( (which only last 3 minutes)! So, having to make a decision by Friday vs Saturday is unlikely to have strong effect on the outcome.

I used to work with a guy who’s crazy about chasing eclipse all lover the world. I heard plenty of stories from him about the clouds during precious few minutes! From those stories, my expectation of this one isn’t very high. I’m only planning it because it’s drivable and/or cancellable close to time. Plus I can get some kind of a trip out of it one way or another. So I’m definitely going somewhere. It’s just a matter of seeing my relatives either at Texas vs Toronto, or skiing in Quebec.

Lotso

FYI- Contrary to the snow report, GMVS is not training on Inverness this week, so it's open for earned turns. Lots of snow on it and Brambles.

djd66

From Josh's report: Mountains: Some wet snow early, more powder Thursday, Friday and into early Saturday with 27-54 inches.

No way we get anywhere close to those amounts!

cdskier

Meanwhile, up the road at SB's main competitor.....

So Stowe "extended" their closing date to a date that realistically matches the average closing date of the resort pre-Vail. Sugarbush still plans to be open 2 weekends longer than Stowe...

jimmywilson69

Yeah that's not really a needle mover... IF vail really wanted to move the needle they'd have said 5/1 but as CD said, their historical closing was 3rd week of April usually with lots of snow

cdskier

Yeah that's not really a needle mover... IF vail really wanted to move the needle they'd have said 5/1 but as CD said, their historical closing was 3rd week of April usually with lots of snow

Honestly this is just creative marketing by Vail to make people "think" they're giving them something extra. Announce an earlier closing date at the start of the season and then "surprise" everyone with an "extra" week once you're confident conditions warrant it. And if the end of season was bad, they simply don't extend the season and have an easy out.

And based on the responses on social media with numerous people saying "look what Stowe did"...their plan is working.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So Stowe "extended" their closing date to a date that realistically matches the average closing date of the resort pre-Vail. Sugarbush still plans to be open 2 weekends longer than Stowe...

Honestly this is just creative marketing by Vail to make people "think" they're giving them something extra. Announce an earlier closing date at the start of the season and then "surprise" everyone with an "extra" week once you're confident conditions warrant it. And if the end of season was bad, they simply don't extend the season and have an easy out.

And based on the responses on social media with numerous people saying "look what Stowe did"...their plan is working.

Funny. I seem to recall that last week everyone here yelling and screaming about SB closing down so much terrain for the HG project. Apparently memories really ARE short!

cdskier

Funny. I seem to recall that last week everyone here yelling and screaming about SB closing down so much terrain for the HG project. Apparently memories really ARE short!

You're comparing apples and oranges. The majority of our complaints were not about the closure of terrain itself at LP, but the way the communication was handled. And that some of us felt that SB should have found a way to do one extra bonus weekend at ME to make up for the closure of HG at LP. Instead they simply stuck to their normal plan. SB will still be open later than Stowe even with Stowe's "extension". So I don't see how Stowe's announcement is a big deal. They're not actually doing anything special at Stowe. Again, the 3rd weekend of April has been their normal closure date for a long time at Stowe. Vail shortened it and then gave it back while passing it off as something "extra". Not sure why they should be applauded for that.

Hawk

People are mostly pissed that we will be at a reduced trail count for an extended period of time. It is what it is. We are gettign a new lift. Because I have IKON, I will break up the monotony of skiing by going to Killington or Sunday River or the Loaf a day or two. Can't do that with Epic. ;-)
But reduced trail count has nothing to do with the closing day. We are closing on May 5th after the Kentucky derby party and Cinco de Mayo. Other than Killington, who else in the east will be open? Sunday River is closing 5/1, the Loaf 4/28. Stratton, Mt Snow, Jay and Stowe all in April. I know it will be Steins, Steins, Steins but it will be primo spring conditions every weekend with bands and beer and friends on the plaza........ every weekend.

Maybe I will use my IKON and go ski Snowbird. I hear it might be good out there.

1dog

Where is Benedict Gomez?

From local online newspaper:

Kudos to Sugarbush for planning the Heaven's Gate chair replacement around the nesting time for the endangered Bicknell's Thrush. Not doubt this comes with major logistical and financial repercussions. And thank you to the disappointed skiers for their understanding of the need to protect our wildlife…we are their only advocate.

cdskier

I didn't even know what a Bicknell's Thrush looked like until I googled it last week. There was a bird hanging out on my deck 2 weeks ago in VT that looked an awful lot like it.