• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Good progress on removing HG. Does anyone know when the chopper is scheduled to take down the towers?

Lotso

Good progress on removing HG. Does anyone know when the chopper is scheduled to take down the towers?
I was wondering if they would prefer to just drop them and drag them down on the snow. Copters are very expensive.

Win?

Today (Wed) the excavators are busy at the top- can catch on Gadd Peak cam when it goes there. Curious why they are clearing snow from upper 40' or so of Organgrinder?

Last edited:

WinS

I was wondering if they would prefer to just drop them and drag them down on the snow. Copters are very expensive.

Win?

Today (Wed) the excavators are busy at the top- can catch on Gadd Peak cam when it goes there. Curious why they are clearing snow from upper 40' or so of Organgrinder?
I surmise it is because they will be blasting to make it less of a climb up to the entrance of Organgrinder and Jester from the exit ramp of the new lift. By the way It was creamy on the slopes this morning and I think fewer than 50 people enjoying it. The rain is holding off until later. This is what happens this time of year.

Lotso

I surmise it is because they will be blasting to make it less of a climb up to the entrance of Organgrinder and Jester from the exit ramp of the new lift. By the way It was creamy on the slopes this morning and I think fewer than 50 people enjoying it. The rain is holding off until later. This is what happens this time of year.
Thanks. The clearing is on upper OG but below the catwalk. Wouldn't blasting be above that and in line with the lift?

Newpylong

If there is any intention of reusing the lift or any parts of it they won't drag the towers out of there on the snow. Even if they don't intend to reuse the towers, Ripcord is pretty steep to be controlling a steel tube on. Might be able to get at the bottom towers without a helo. Maybe I am wrong and someone has bigger balls than I do.

1dog

All the iron cutters and torches are in Baltimore- would think cutting them to truck bed size might be more efficient cost-wise and safer, but take quite a bit longer.

HowieT2

If there is any intention of reusing the lift or any parts of it they won't drag the towers out of there on the snow. Even if they don't intend to reuse the towers, Ripcord is pretty steep to be controlling a steel tube on. Might be able to get at the bottom towers without a helo. Maybe I am wrong and someone has bigger balls than I do
I thought they only needed helicopters for towers that are inaccessible by crane.

cdskier

Can't see anything on the webcam today due to the low visibility, but per the snow report they took down the "first 3 towers" so they can proceed with construction work "up there". The towers were visible on the cam yesterday from what I recall. And helicopters wouldn't fly in low vis conditions to take down towers. So I'm thinking they must have come down some other way.

WinS

If there is any intention of reusing the lift or any parts of it they won't drag the towers out of there on the snow. Even if they don't intend to reuse the towers, Ripcord is pretty steep to be controlling a steel tube on. Might be able to get at the bottom towers without a helo. Maybe I am wrong and someone has bigger balls than I do.
The chairs can be used as replacement as needed for North Lynx. That is why only some will be sold.

Hawk

So now 2 lifts used for MTB? That's a lot of added expense. Or will these trails be built with some XC to climb?
Whatever they do it will be great to have more trails. The ones on the Bravo side are fun but you have to be expert to ride them. Very tech. I always thought that gate house would be a better place for riding. It is less steep. There used to be one or two trails you could ride over there. One you rode up castlerock connector and it went down next to Sleeper.

Lotso

Whatever they do it will be great to have more trails. The ones on the Bravo side are fun but you have to be expert to ride them. Very tech. I always thought that gate house would be a better place for riding. It is less steep. There used to be one or two trails you could ride over there. One you rode up castlerock connector and it went down next to Sleeper.
I remember that one- pretty fun. Climb up work road not that much fun, but the descent was nice. Agreed on the Bravo side. Unless you have a full DH setup and don't have dependents to be answering to, they are rough.