• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Whatever they do it will be great to have more trails. The ones on the Bravo side are fun but you have to be expert to ride them. Very tech. I always thought that gate house would be a better place for riding. It is less steep. There used to be one or two trails you could ride over there. One you rode up castlerock connector and it went down next to Sleeper.
there are a couple of trails on the map from castlerock connection to sleeper that will be interesting for skiing too.

the proposal specifically refers to adapting the chairs on gatehouse to carry bikes.

HowieT2

I remember that one- pretty fun. Climb up work road not that much fun, but the descent was nice. Agreed on the Bravo side. Unless you have a full DH setup and don't have dependents to be answering to, they are rough.
agreed. I stopped riding my xc bike on them because it would cause more damage than the cost of renting a DH bike.

Boxtop Willie

Some nasty r!@n moving in right now. Would be surprised if Gate House lasted much past Sunday. Ski and Ride closes on Sunday, too. Stein's still looks great. The groomers will have their work cut out for them farming snow on upper Snowball so people can get to Fling.

cdskier

yeah I get it. but killi's 130 trails or something is making us look pretty bad lol

Yea...their 60 groomed trails alone is more than what we have open total. Oh well. I'm not driving down that way again this weekend. It was worth it last weekend to drive an hour, but I'm over it now and willing to settle for whatever we have.

Hawk

Rob, we don't have the snow making they have. not even close. It not a fair comparison. We don't have water capacity, the pipes are old and leak and I am sure we don't have the budget they have. Things are going to get better but it is going to take time.

cdskier

K also has the elevation advantage. Nearly all the terrain they have open is essentially above the elevation of the top of GH here.

Lotso

HG towers down, it appears, at least at the top. Breakover towers and possibly one below them are gone.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rob, we don't have the snow making they have. not even close. It not a fair comparison. We don't have water capacity, the pipes are old and leak and I am sure we don't have the budget they have. Things are going to get better but it is going to take time.
Alterra has much more money than POWDR. How they spend it is the issue.

solar

Alterra has much more money than POWDR. How they spend it is the issue.
True, but Alterra is still a for-profit corporation and you're comparing one of the most successful mountains in New England (possibly the country) to one that is infamous for having a shortage of surrounding lodging (beds) and snowmaking capacity.

I suspect Alterra bought Sugarbush as a loss-leader to gain market share on Ikon sales. While they might run it at near-breakeven, I doubt they'd run it at a loss for any significant period of time. As a result, our infrastructure upgrades will likely be very slow to be implemented - especially where there's no material gain (e.g. replacing a triple with a triple).

Lotso

True, but Alterra is still a for-profit corporation and you're comparing one of the most successful mountains in New England (possibly the country) to one that is infamous for having a shortage of surrounding lodging (beds) and snowmaking capacity.

I suspect Alterra bought Sugarbush as a loss-leader to gain market share on Ikon sales. While they might run it at near-breakeven, I doubt they'd run it at a loss for any significant period of time. As a result, our infrastructure upgrades will likely be very slow to be implemented - especially where there's no material gain (e.g. replacing a triple with a triple).
Thought new HG is a quad, and VH double was replaced by a quad? Snowmaking upgrades were big; weather sucked but they put significant dough into both mountains' systems. Once they have a better pond situation it will noticeably improve, I imagine.

solar

Thought new HG is a quad, and VH double was replaced by a quad? Snowmaking upgrades were big; weather sucked but they put significant dough into both mountains' systems. Once they have a better pond situation it will noticeably improve, I imagine.
HG is being replaced with a fixed-grip triple. There's a very slight uphill capacity improvement in the form of increased speed (coupled with a loading conveyor like Valley). Good news is that it will be a shorter lift ride up, time-wise.

Correction edit: Quad: "we will be replacing the current Heaven’s Gate Triple with a new fixed-grip Heaven’s Gate Quad"

Last edited:

Lotso

HG is being replaced with a fixed-grip triple. There's a very slight uphill capacity improvement in the form of increased speed (coupled with a loading conveyor like Valley). Good news is that it will be a shorter lift ride up, time-wise.
Got it, thanks. Caffeine had not kicked in yet to recall triple v. quad. Quad would have put too many additional people on those trails

cdskier

Umm...no. HG is definitely being replaced by a fix grip quad (with a loading conveyor).

solar

Ah, you're right! Was it originally spec'd as a replacement triple?

Also on their blog;
"we will be replacing the current Heaven’s Gate Triple with a new fixed-grip Heaven’s Gate Quad"