• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
thetrailboss said:
Hey Greg, any word back from SB as to their challenge?

has any ski area just never responded???
No word from SB. They are real stand up guys up there though so I suspect they are just very busy. It'll come I'm sure. JJ was truly excited about it.

Austin - yes. Stratton never replied last year... :x

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
awf170 said:
thetrailboss said:
Hey Greg, any word back from SB as to their challenge?

has any ski area just never responded???
No word from SB. They are real stand up guys up there though so I suspect they are just very busy. It'll come I'm sure. JJ was truly excited about it.

Austin - yes. Stratton never replied last year... :x

OK, so that means no more skiing at Stratton then...start the AZ Boycott :wink: :lol:

noski

Re: Fill the hole

ski_resort_observer said:
Noski could probably shed some light here.

As I mentioned in another post it is great that they are tearing down those delapidated buildings at the bottom of the access rd. It's a pretty valuable piece of property so does anyone want to venture a guess or know what might be built there. Probably a mini shopping center.

My bulb is growing dim, being flipped on and off so many times S_R_O.... But if I get the nerve, I will dig. As far as the bottom of the Access Rd, that is private property and absentee (out of country) owner was approached to sell the historic barn if it were dismantled and hauled away before it collapsed. I think the house will become WFD training excercise. Not sure of landowners intention there. Knowing the owner, I would guess it will remain vacant. Better view of Pierce's Wood & Auto..... :wink:

noski

...fill the hole

mmmm. I have word from the hill. I need to be still for right now- I don't want to lose the trust. Not the dire backfilling you are alluding to, however. Now You have to trust Me!

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: ...fill the hole

noski said:
mmmm. I have word from the hill. I need to be still for right now- I don't want to lose the trust. Not the dire backfilling you are alluding to, however. Now You have to trust Me!
Trusting oh so much, but want to know oh so desperately... is email confidential enough??

Tin Woodsman

Good to hear from noski that backfilling isn't in the offing, but it's still disconcerting that so little has been accomplished with the skier services bldg so far. Obviously something is up, and it's probably not good news. Hoping for the best though.

noski

Strat said:
noski said:
Trusting oh so much, but want to know oh so desperately... is email confidential enough??

Ah Young Grasshopper, never put into writing that which you don't wish the world to see. Where one hole is filled, another is dug.

Lostone

Adding to the rumor mill... ;)

The word I got was that there is a change of direction.

They're going to postpone the family center part and switch to building the Claybrook housing units.

The rumor is they were too close to be sure they could finish the family center and decided to switch to the housing portion.

The plan is to concentrate on the Claybrook thru the winter.

That's the rumor I heard. Not as bad as what I first heard.

There are other rumors. There always are. ;)

Tin Woodsman

Well that seems kind of silly. They were too close to ensure that they'd finish the family center, so instead they'll start a MUCH bigger project and absoltely ensure they they'll have nothing new for the upcoming season. Weird. Maybe they want to get that revenue in for the housing quicker. Why go and cut down the hillside in back of Gate House anyway?

loafer89

Sugarbush 1990-1991 trailmap:

Sugarbush3.jpg

Sugarbush2.jpg

Sugarbush1.jpg

Lostone

so i dont get it... the green mountain express used to be there, then it was gone and now it is back

That is because Les Otten wanted to have the lift end at the Slidebrook lift. So he moved the GMX to Northridge and installed the slowest quad in the world from the bottom to the Junction of Slidebrook and Northridge.

He may have liked it. Nobody who skied there did.

The Northridge change was good, as that is the real vertical at North, but Pokey made the bottom almost unused.

When Summit Ventures took it over, one of their furst announcements were that they were going to put the GMX back in. It was announced to cheers. :beer:

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Strat said:
...Austin, just wondering, where did you pull the old north map from? I only know of two places, nelsap and my site, that have it on, just interested, especially if it's my site, haha...
Strat, I have that map (I think), or one very similar, on my site too. I got it from a 1968 ski magazine (skiing I think) several months ago. It is on with the Glen Ellen brochure. http://teachski.com

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

noski said:

I have trusted you for years...never steered me wrong yet. :D

I too have a bird who is singing the blues but waiting for the official word is always the best way to go.

goober

Hey castlerock, How was the party. I ran into Jeramiah at the one I was at.