• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

slatham

In the fantasy land of the Master Plan I have from circa 2012, they have a trail coming down parallel to DS, at skiers left, starting from Organgrinder (about a hundred yards or so uphill from the intersection of OG and DS) and merging into Lower Ripcord around the last drop before HG triple.

AND a trail between DS and Domino that heads more to skiers left than Domino and thus ends at DS right at HG Triple.

Assuming adequate early season snowmaking that would take serious pressure off of DS, not to mention offer more options off HG all season.

Some other good stuff on that plan too but as I said, Fantasy Land.

Also, regarding this off season, from Win:

"We will have fewer big projects this summer, but the cash we receive from our season pass sales will be put to good use enabling our team to perform the necessary summer maintenance to prepare us for next winter."

So don't expect major changes this off season, but that should be obvious to all who experienced this past "winter".

But to cheer you up, also from Win:

Low Total Year Following Year
'73/'74 186" 307"
'79/'80 138" 257"
'91/'92 197" 300"
'94/'95 181" 363"
'09/'10 194" 308"
'11/'12 162" 279"

HowieT2

In the fantasy land of the Master Plan I have from circa 2012, they have a trail coming down parallel to DS, at skiers left, starting from Organgrinder (about a hundred yards or so uphill from the intersection of OG and DS) and merging into Lower Ripcord around the last drop before HG triple.

AND a trail between DS and Domino that heads more to skiers left than Domino and thus ends at DS right at HG Triple.

Assuming adequate early season snowmaking that would take serious pressure off of DS, not to mention offer more options off HG all season.

Some other good stuff on that plan too but as I said, Fantasy Land.

Also, regarding this off season, from Win:

"We will have fewer big projects this summer, but the cash we receive from our season pass sales will be put to good use enabling our team to perform the necessary summer maintenance to prepare us for next winter."

So don't expect major changes this off season, but that should be obvious to all who experienced this past "winter".

But to cheer you up, also from Win:

Low Total Year Following Year
'73/'74 186" 307"
'79/'80 138" 257"
'91/'92 197" 300"
'94/'95 181" 363"
'09/'10 194" 308"
'11/'12 162" 279"

F that. both of those areas are nice runs through the woods
maybe they declare them official "woods" trails, but I doubt they cut real trails through there.

How about a very slight re-grade of HGT, enough to keep folks moving but not a lot of expense? Might solve the issue. Early season is tough, but sometimes the simplest is the best.

cdskier

Agree, but note that in the "master plan" the new glades around the mountains are an order of magnitude greater then current glades. I think you'd approve of the trade off. But again this is fantasy land.......

I was just looking back at the 2008 vegetation management plan and the amount of proposed tree skiing areas was certainly quite substantial. Of course you can still do all the glades without doing the new trail cutting around DS. :p Now if they were to add another entire trail pod somewhere, then I could be interested. The other proposed trails in the master plan I saw are far more interesting than the ones around DS.

HowieT2

Agree, but note that in the "master plan" the new glades around the mountains are an order of magnitude greater then current glades. I think you'd approve of the trade off. But again this is fantasy land.......

not sure I understand what you mean???

cdskier

Interesting side note...Win just announced that the season pass sales for the upcoming season (which just passed the first deadline last week) were the second highest ever. Impressive considering how bad this winter was. I guess it didn't make many people think twice about getting a pass.

benski

Interesting side note...Win just announced that the season pass sales for the upcoming season (which just passed the first deadline last week) were the second highest ever. Impressive considering how bad this winter was. I guess it didn't make many people think twice about getting a pass.

Maby the people who cut back on skiing this year due to bad weather can afford season passes now because of there savings from this year or sugarbush was not hit as hard and now is more popular.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

So I just got the email about the $500 pass for anyone 30-35. If you're in that age range (like me), that's a fantastic deal. On the other hand, if you are also like me and bought a pass in April when it was supposed to be at the lowest price, you might be really f*ing pissed off right now. I'm alternating between trying to get my ski buddies to buy the pass and writing a nastygram to SB customer service.

benski

So I just got the email about the $500 pass for anyone 30-35. If you're in that age range (like me), that's a fantastic deal. On the other hand, if you are also like me and bought a pass in April when it was supposed to be at the lowest price, you might be really f*ing pissed off right now. I'm alternating between trying to get my ski buddies to buy the pass and writing a nastygram to SB customer service.

I would just call them and ask politely. I doubt they will make you pay extra for buying early. 2 years ago I watched an 18 year old buy an adult ticket then change it to a youth after releasing he was still eligible for a youth to get some of his money back.

I'm actually super curious to know what their reasoning was to offer this pass -- this is definitely not an age range that usually gets targeted discounts like this.

They have great customer service, so we'll see what happens.

teleo

Don't be nasty. Smart move is to call and be nice. SB will likely refund you the difference. We paid April rate for season passes and they refunded us the difference when we were eligible for corporate rate which does not come out until Aug.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't be nasty. Smart move is to call and be nice. SB will likely refund you the difference. We paid April rate for season passes and they refunded us the difference when we were eligible for corporate rate which does not come out until Aug.

I'm never actually nasty to people doing their jobs, "nastygram" is more of a figure of speech for me.

cdskier

Just saw an e-mail from Sugarbush about this new pass. Interesting for sure and I fit right in this range (and like Lasers I already bought my pass back in April). I just shot SB an e-mail to see if they plan to do anything for people that would have benefited from the new pass had they not already bought one. Would sure be great if they give us something back for this season (I'd be happy with a credit towards a 2017-2018 pass), especially as a "thank you" to the loyal passholders in this range that have been paying full price for the past few years.

I'm also intrigued on why they decided to do this. I do have to agree that it is in direct response to Stowe offering a pass in this age range. Only reason I can think that Stowe did this was to try to capture more of the younger crowd. Perhaps they analyzed their numbers and were seeing a significant drop off in sales in that age range.

steamboat1

Look how many 19-34 year olds are living in their parents basements and there's your answer.
Yeah I have one of those in her late 20's. Not in the basement however.

I'm 60 & didn't leave home until I was 29. Good move since I saved money & bought a house right away before I got married. Never rented in my life.

Last edited: