• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

kingslug

Looks like real snow coming down now here at sb...they say an inch...a BIG inch..supposed to snow all day and night...going to be a good day

WinS

Just out of curiosity, is Summit not yet open for the season at the MEllen? Has snow been made up top yet, or was it similar to last year when the temps were better to make snow down low, and then a break in the temps, hence what's happening now? I know the chair doesn't give you much (FIS, BD, Upper Rim Run), but those views on a nice day from the summit can't be beat! From a business perspective, its better probably to have the terrain park and other lower elevation intermediate runs open at this stage of the game. In fact, this was an early opening of the big park.

Probably going to wait until March to make my trip up north for a few days. Next week I have off, but more pressing family issues have come up.

Yes, Shady, that is the reason. It is really Baldy that needs the snow. After we get Northstar and Cruiser finished we will go there and get Summit going.

WinS

Wasn’t really crowded.
skiing was super fun. Even got into the woods a bit. A little thin but surprisingly good coverage in there.

About 6,400 which is not bad. The big days are 8,000 plus.

CastlerockMRV

+ 1 Mt Ellen was great - Natural snow on Cliffs, Tumbler, Hammerhead and Lower Exterminator were the winners - and it's always nice to never wait in a lift line.

Ditto. Started at South and had my 2 best runs of the season so far (missed the storm in early December) on Paradise to start they day. Moved over to North after Lunch and it was ski on to the lift. Exterminator was great.

HowieT2

Happy new year!
castlerock was awesome yesterday. Hiked over around 1:30. Did castlerock run over to cotillion.

flakeydog

Sugarbush thread is closing in on 700 pages, nearly 900,000 views. No other thread comes close, except big burke, which was a crime site! Why is that?

SKIMRV seems to be chronically out of service- this is the next best alternative. All in a single thread no less. And clearly, Sugarbush is really the only mountain worth talking about this much. :lol:

WinS

SKIMRV seems to be chronically out of service- this is the next best alternative. All in a single thread no less. And clearly, Sugarbush is really the only mountain worth talking about this much. :lol:

I would echo the statement that this is one passionate group. Has always been fun to engage with most everyone. Happy New Year to all. Keep the snow dances going. It is working.

Last edited:

ducky

Two nice hikes to CR today. Really was a powder day over there. We happened to do Middle Earth both times and I was lucky enough to get untracked down most of the left shoulder. Figure-8'ed my line the second run.

Just a comment about trail hiking etiquette (on the Long Trail) as a fight nearly broke out ahead of me: just let faster people pass and move aside. No need to deliberately hold up folks who are either fitter or faster. You wouldn't do it if hiking in the summer, don't do it in the winter.

kingslug

Some pics..steins..lower paradise..and others

Attachments

• 20200101_120528.jpg
    20200101_120528.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200101_120548.jpg
    20200101_120548.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200101_130940.jpg
    20200101_130940.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 92