• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

What was skiing like today? I saw on the cams gate house looked more popular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is some interesting trivia from yesterday.

53.5% of the people here yesterday were scanned at VH, 40.3% at GH and 6.2% on the Welcome Mat.

For total scans 45% were at VH and 48% were at GH and 7% on the Welcome Mat.

Because we had a pulse surge on GH we were running it a bit slower than normal to make sure the circuit did not trip again until we could make switch change overnight. That is why the GH line appeared longer that the actual difference in ridership between the two. Having GH open definitely brought people out who would not have skied this early in the season, and it was great to see so many on the Welcome Mat this time of the year.

Slidebrook87

Let's hope Alterra runs Slide Brook more this winter. It's a pain in the ass to take the bus

WinS

Let's hope Alterra runs Slide Brook more this winter. It's a pain in the ass to take the bus

Read my early post on this. We (not Alterra) will make the decision based on safety. It is scheduled to run every day ME is open. There are 40 lift towers and lift maintenance has to be able to get to all quickly and safely on snowmobiles which requires sufficient snow depth. It is also very vulnerable to wind, and we do not run it when temps are below 5 degrees if case an evacuation occurs which it unlikely but still why we will not risk it.

The bus may be a pain in the ass to,you but it takes the same time and is warmer.

Slidebrook87

The bus ride always stops at every condo there is and is packed with people. When Slide Brook is open it's awesome. What I've noticed is that once there is sufficient snow depth, it is usually a week before it opens due to the grooming of the access roads and other general preparation. Once it's running it usually stays open for most of the season, but it usually isn't until late January that it starts running. Hope to see you again this season. Let's hope it's just as good as last year!!

Slidebrook87

Read my early post on this. We (not Alterra) will make the decision based on safety. It is scheduled to run every day ME is open. There are 40 lift towers and lift maintenance has to be able to get to all quickly and safely on snowmobiles which requires sufficient snow depth. It is also very vulnerable to wind, and we do not run it when temps are below 5 degrees if case an evacuation occurs which it unlikely but still why we will not risk it.

The bus may be a pain in the ass to,you but it takes the same time and is warmer.

Where is your early post?

tumbler

Win- what is the terrain expansion plan? Will Jester, OG Downspout be open this weekend?

WinS

Win- what is the terrain expansion plan? Will Jester, OG Downspout be open this weekend?

Not sure. It depends when temps come back. Probably not until late Weds or early Thursday. We are shooting to complete Jester and Downspout and Valley Traverse. Probably need a good 48 hours at least with decent temps. We were running at very marginal temperatures before we shut down yesterday so production was limited. We also had a pump down in the HG pump house, so we were only running at 2/3rd of capacity but that should be repaired by the time we resume. We did use the excess water that we could not get up high on the Lower portions of Organgrinder so that will come in faster when we move down there. Over at ME we will refocus on Rim Run and Elbow. The Swiss woman will be training on Inverness tomorrow morning.

Slidebrook87

Just a bit confused about what you said. What I'm thinking you said is that you'll try to get some terrain off of Bravo open this weekend, but at this stage, that might not be possible. If Bravo won't be open, will more trails off of Gate House or Valley House be open?

Hawk

Definitely confused.
He said if temps allow they would blow downspout valley house traverse and Jester. That would mean they are trying to bravo open and maybe Heavens gate.

You must be new around here. Ah.

Slidebrook87

Ah, no need to be harsh. I was just a bit confused by the wording. The temps are predicted to be colder Thursday through Sunday, so hopefully, that allows for them to blow some snow. Too bad about the pump!!

cdskier

Ah, no need to be harsh. I was just a bit confused by the wording. The temps are predicted to be colder Thursday through Sunday, so hopefully, that allows for them to blow some snow. Too bad about the pump!!

Geez...you thought hawk’s response was harsh? Seemed pretty tame to me lol.

Win’s post was pretty explicit about which trails they are working on next. I’ve reread it a few times and can’t really figure out what wasn’t clear. A route off heavens gate is the goal and VHT is needed to connect the upper mountain to existing lower mountain terrain (or to switch to using bravo instead of the VH chair).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I’ve never found it terrifying myself, but for someone scared of heights, I can see why it would be an issue.

Only 1 time did I find it pretty close to terrifying. Wind kicked up pretty good in a couple spots and it was a bit of a white knuckle ride. They shut it down shortly after that (very little wind on the rest of the mountain though, so I’m sure people were saying they closed it for no reason but I can personally state that it was fully warranted). When I unloaded the lifty asked if I enjoyed the roller coaster ride. Perfect example of how the wind can be vastly different on different parts of the mountain. I don’t recall any other lifts going on hold that day.

Slidebrook87

Only 1 time did I find it pretty close to terrifying. Wind kicked up pretty good in a couple spots and it was a bit of a white knuckle ride. They shut it down shortly after that (very little wind on the rest of the mountain though, so I’m sure people were saying they closed it for no reason but I can personally state that it was fully warranted). When I unloaded the lifty asked if I enjoyed the roller coaster ride. Perfect example of how the wind can be vastly different on different parts of the mountain. I don’t recall any other lifts going on hold that day.

I was on Valley House one time when the wind kicked up. Chairs were swaying and it was utterly terrifying. After I got off all the Lincoln lifts shut down for the rest of the day. I took a bus packed with people over to Mt. Ellen. 45 minutes later I was on GMX. I was sure missing a sunny day with Slide Brook!!

tumbler

Can the dedicated big blue bus going base to base with slide brook stop come back?