• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Today is definitely a day I’m glad I’m a pass holder and not paying to ski. Fast and very firm for sure

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

WinS

Fast and Firm is a "nice" description. The early turns were actually quite nice especially up on Birch and Sunrise which were both groomed last. But the hill got very sugary and hard and icy in spots as the day progressed. Winds stayed strong all day. A second night of grooming will help especially with the winds diminishing over night. We did plan to winch Upper Organgrinder tonight and do most of the other trails we groomed last night. Unfortunately, our winch is down so we will have to do another night. We will do Stein's in the next couple of days in anticipation of some fresh snow on top of the courdoroy. It will take two full shifts to mow it down and make it nice. Let's keep our fingers crossed for Tuesday and Wednesday and later in the week. We have the base. A foot of new snow would bring the conditions back to where they were a week ago.

Last edited:

cdskier

I was actually a bit surprised to see how much snow was lost at lower elevations. Definitely more than I anticipated. That said there's still a good base and plenty of snow higher up. Just need a good 12" to get things going again.

All things considered with the weather we had, it wasn't too bad this weekend especially if you were out early before the top layer was scraped off. It reminded me of all that skiing I did in the Poconos when I was younger!

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Fingers crossed the 12-15 predicted this week will do the trick.

Going to be fine ,
b279737df18d4c2726ccb8e03a1fd3c3.jpg
weekend weather looks better too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaybird

Those are the bindings that failed McConkey..
.. and on Nice LLs no less.

:sadwalk:

flakeydog

I shudder when I see these bindings. Worked at a shop at the time and these came to us in droves. 450k sets recalled. Plus the fun conversation you would have with the customer that we could not work on them. Solidified my thinking that there was Salomon, Marker and then everything else (with Look and Tyrolia on the bottom of the pile). Surprised to see a pair in circulation though the discoloration on the plastic is not a good sign, for any binding...

crazy

Aren't the newer Look and Tyrolia bindings pretty good?

I would never subject my body to the old bindings posted above. The older I get, the more I value my health and safety. Paying for new bindings/boots is much, much cheaper than risking an injury due to dated equipment that, according to the posters above, has a history of failure.

flakeydog

It's been some time since I worked in a shop. I am sure most products today are far superior to even the best-of-breed 20-30 years ago. Back then, we were still trying to invent a better mousetrap and there were pretty distinct differences in play on how that was done. The evolution to more types of release scenarios (the most significant being the addition of an upward release component to a lateral-only releasing toepiece, without pre-release) while improving elasticity and retention was a technological revolution in the ski industry. While not perfect, the binding industry's biggest issue today seems to be determining which skis they match. I guess I still have my bias. After torque testing thousands of bindings, it really stuck in my mind those that were spot on spec and those that were merely "in the range".

WinS

Sorry that more of you were not here today. It was one one the best of the season in my opinion. The snow was heavy enough to bond but light enough to enjoy all day. The woods that I skied together were excellent. We did groom Stein’s and it took two shifts and did not get finished until 5am so there was only an inch or two on it, but it was sweet. Favorite runs of the day were Domino and Twist and Racer’s Edge Woods just before lunch which was untracked. Tomorrow looks like a great day with Friday still being the wild card. At this point it looks like a couple of inches of wetter snow which could change over to some rain showers later in the day at lower elevations but a chance it stays all white. The weekend forecast looks great. SB Lift has enough snow underneath so we are grooming the roads and plan to have it running tomorrow.

KustyTheKlown

sweet win

re: look bindings. i dont know about bindings as old as the ones pictured above, or look's prior reputation. but the look pivots are the current standard bearer for a lightweight yet bombproof alpine ski binding. i think look was purchased by rossi (the fks by rossi are exactly the same as the pivots), so maybe that has something to do with it. but look makes highly regarded bindings in 2019. i have rossi fks on my kastles, look pivots on my dps, and marker barons on my moments. i used to have salomon guardian 16s on the kastles, but found them to be way too heavy

Julius

Sorry that more of you were not here today. It was one one the best of the season in my opinion. The snow was heavy enough to bond but light enough to enjoy all day...

Couldn't agree more and that's with a great Nov/Dec and a number of other great days this Jan in the rear view. All those natural trails that were in lock down lately rebounded beyond belief. There were so many notable runs it seemed everywhere was a snow field as it pretty much fell/refreshed all day. Whoa. Total beat down but back again tomorrow.

Howitzer

Sleeper Trail Widening Project and Snowmaking on the 'Jug Handle'

Two sections of Sleeper Trail would be widened between 20-40 feet in order to meet intermediate level standards totaling 0.40 acres. Trees would be removed, stumps pulled and final grading. Blasting not anticipated, but may be necessary in locations.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53705

tumbler

Interesting. It looks like skiers left of the rock drop off heading straight into the Chute. Unless the rock would be hammered out. Putting snowmaking on the road will surely widen it!

ThinkSnow

Not a fan of making any changes to Sleeper, but widening above the chute may alleviate the gaper lineup that frequently blocks the entire trail. I would hope the intention is for some trees to remain with the widening.

jaybird

Sorry that more of you were not here today. It was one one the best of the season in my opinion. The snow was heavy enough to bond but light enough to enjoy all day. The woods that I skied together were excellent. We did groom Stein’s and it took two shifts and did not get finished until 5am so there was only an inch or two on it, but it was sweet. Favorite runs of the day were Domino and Twist and Racer’s Edge Woods just before lunch which was untracked. Tomorrow looks like a great day with Friday still being the wild card. At this point it looks like a couple of inches of wetter snow which could change over to some rain showers later in the day at lower elevations but a chance it stays all white. The weekend forecast looks great. SB Lift has enough snow underneath so we are grooming the roads and plan to have it running tomorrow.

Yes Weds was a very nice recovery. The upper lot was full kinda early .. that's always a good sign. The bonding process did seem to work everywhere except for a couple of the waterfalls mid trail on (insert trail name here). Overall the conditions are excellent. Hoping we can capitalize on the recovery effort with a bit more dense snow. That would set things up perfectly for the next few weeks.

gladerider

good to hear the conditions are good. will be driving up there in a couple of hours.
can't wait.

WinS

Not a fan of making any changes to Sleeper, but widening above the chute may alleviate the gaper lineup that frequently blocks the entire trail. I would hope the intention is for some trees to remain with the widening.

As few a possible will be removed. This is just the jug handle entrance to avoid having to ski down the headwall which can be quite intimidating for an intermediate skier. With natural snow it can not be groomed a lot. It is too nice a trail not to have more people enjoy it.

ktrerotola

Anyone have intel on Slide Brook terrain after last night’s weather? Hit Semi-Tough woods today and the unskiied snow was heavy, hard-to-turn. Made me wonder about the condition on the lower elevation Slide Brook stuff....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone