• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe relying a lot on historical passholder data? And then as the season goes on they could also judge season pass usage and make adjustments if they see it as necessary.

When I spoke to someone at SB yesterday he said they have tons of historical passholder data to use in order to make assumptions. Harder to predict day pass usage and quad pack usage.

Hawk

They may have data from a normal year but I think this year might be different. What do you think the impact will be from people not willing to come up or follow the letter of the law and think that the social distancing will not be sufficient and stay home? I just think the numbers will be a little lower and also there might be a bunch of people that choose to work remotely and live up at the mountain, ski mid week and skip the weekends. Lots of uncertainty in my opinion. Probably a wait and see.

cdskier

Historical data gives you a starting point. You can then estimate the impact of the other points you mentioned. And if you estimate incorrectly, then you adjust as time goes on. Honestly if they don't end up offering the Quad pack, then I think that right there cuts out a lot of people to help control your numbers.

They're going to be far more focused on making sure too many people don't show up rather than on too few people showing up. The points you're raising about reasons numbers might be lower are not exactly the initial issue they're going to be addressing. You can always make more tickets available or lower prices or offer some sort of mid-season deal if you see your numbers are well below expectations.

Could end up being an interesting year if there are less people on the mountain. Not necessarily great from a financial perspective for the mountain, but certainly could make things more enjoyable from a skiing perspective.

tumbler

That may very well be the case. We are also dealing with a new mountain manager in John Hammond. Unlike Win who owned the mountain and also ran the daily operations, John will not have much leverage when Altera comes calling. It will be interesting to see how they do things.

Yup, very good point

1dog

Will be interesting to see, but memory lane for thos eof us who have been in valley for 30+ years. . . . we used to quietly brag about having terrain for ourselves and fresh tracks for longer than most other major resorts.

However, I can't believe they won't want to maximize traffic since their larger profit centers - F&B - is even more limited.

My businesses are 50-60% of normal volume and I can barely hang on - with almost no debt - so, how they do it, well, its gonna be something to watch.

I'd think selling Quads would still be a best as they can get some cash flow and predictable management, yet place limits on when they can be used. ( The 'limits' of course, would be the challenge)

As others have mentioned, Bush has ( much?) higher % of season pass holders than other resorts. So it would be hard to gauge Quad pack traffic with unlimited season pass traffic. It is paramount that SP holders have unlimited access.

No ticket at windows is a start.

bill-now

I think the key to success this season would be to encourage weekday and discourage weekend visits. On a typical weekday SB is, historically, close to the current social distancing guidelines. One approach would be to sell Quad packs that are only valid Monday thru Friday. Also a decrease in weekday ticket prices and an increase in weekend prices would also help.
I'm thinking that surge pricing, such as practiced by Uber, may be an interesting approach to this problem.

bill-now

I was only thinking about non season pass sales. Although certain passes, such as the boomer pass, are already only valid on weekdays.

Last edited:

Edd

I was talking to Alpine options today. They are saying that the manufacturers are cutting down on what they produce and ship for winter goods. So If you plan to buy something for this winter, you better do it now before the small stock they get is gone.

Seems strange to cut production since outdoor goods have been selling out. I wonder if they’ve determined that restricted access to ski areas will cut demand?

Hawk

Seems strange to cut production since outdoor goods have been selling out. I wonder if they’ve determined that restricted access to ski areas will cut demand?

That very well may be the case. I can't speak to why but I know that it is happening.

noworriesvt

That very well may be the case. I can't speak to why but I know that it is happening.

Supply chain issues in Asia from Jan-March. Most factories begin production for then and were closed for a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

On a typical weekday SB is, historically, close to the current social distancing guidelines.

What makes you say that? Any time I've been there midweek (non-holiday), most lifts were virtually ski on unless it was a powder day.

HowieT2

I think that's what he is saying.
I saw somewhere that Alterra isn't going to require reservations for passholders. But does that include parking? I think Killington is going to have reservations for parking.

JimG.

Staff member
I saw somewhere that Alterra isn't going to require reservations for passholders. But does that include parking? I think Killington is going to have reservations for parking.

Since K has notified everyone who skis there this season to boot up at the car they are limiting parking to create physical distancing in parking lots. So you have to call in advance to let them know you are coming.

Like everything else this will be an issue on weekends, not weekdays.

skiur

Since K has notified everyone who skis there this season to boot up at the car they are limiting parking to create physical distancing in parking lots. So you have to call in advance to let them know you are coming.

Like everything else this will be an issue on weekends, not weekdays.

What if you get dropped off at the mountain? What if you take the bus (if there is a bus this year) what about people that live in the on trail condos? Do all those people not have to worry? K needs to make these questions clear.

MEtoVTSkier

If you get dropped off, you can boot up at the car that dropped you off. If you came long distance by bus, your gear would be on it? The local bus, you would be booting up before you load the bus, at your home/condo. And on trail condos, really? why would you take anything from there?

urungus

If you get dropped off, you can boot up at the car that dropped you off. If you came long distance by bus, your gear would be on it? The local bus, you would be booting up before you load the bus, at your home/condo. And on trail condos, really? why would you take anything from there?

The question is not where you would boot up, but how to make Killington aware of your intention to ski, so they can manage capacity ..

machski

At Alterra owned properties, that is correct on Passholders not needing reservations. At resorts that are affiliated on Ikon and not Alterra owned, reservations may be required including parking (seems all Powdr resorts will require parking reservations, just saw Bachelor joined that party) or reservations to ski (all the western Boyne's will require this along with Taos. Loon and Windham in the East will too) for Ikon passholders. Bachelor said something like they may increase the number of blackout days for Ikon Base Pass guests. Without a reservation to ski, not sure how they could do that as it would change the actual terms of the pass.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

The question is not where you would boot up, but how to make Killington aware of your intention to ski, so they can manage capacity ..

Ah, perhaps any riding the buses and trail-side would have already had to state parking intentions for their condo/hotel locations? Actual drop offs, may be such a minuscule number they just factor in? I'd bet they've got a clue on their incoming reservations.