• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Re: changing anything about the CR lift. To me (and I'm sure to a ton of others) the allure of Castlerock is the terrain, the snow quality, and the lack of crowds. I skied Middle Earth several times this past Saturday and Sunday and I was the only one on the trail (or at least visible). For me, while I don't love standing in line, I do appreciate the chance to rest my legs.

Bottom line...Don't change a thing about CR.

+1

I firmly believe anyone that says CR can (or should) support more uphill capacity doesn't "get it" about what that area of the mountain is all about.

GregoryIsaacs

+1

I firmly believe anyone that says CR can (or should) support more uphill capacity doesn't "get it" about what that area of the mountain is all about.

I was under the impression that the mountain rebuilt the CR chair with as close to the exact specifications of the old one in order keep the same experience. Cant say there are many resorts willing to do that, but for this situation they really preserved a gem.....of which are becoming all to rare across the state.

Tin Woodsman

Damn forgot you sugarbush skiers are so tough and enjoy layering up past the point of comfort! What im saying is that a bubble makes days that would otherwise be not worth the ticket price actually somewhat enjoyable. But hey what do I know.
Yes - I'm sure all the people who bought into The Hermitage are super psyched about having that bubble 6-pack to protect them from the elements.

Oh wait...

GregoryIsaacs

Yes - I'm sure all the people who bought into The Hermitage are super psyched about having that bubble 6-pack to protect them from the elements.

Oh wait...

Yeah maybe the fact that they actually had to buy the damn thing should of been a red flag.....

WinS

I was under the impression that the mountain rebuilt the CR chair with as close to the exact specifications of the old one in order keep the same experience. Cant say there are many resorts willing to do that, but for this situation they really preserved a gem.....of which are becoming all to rare across the state.

That is correct :)

JimG.

Staff member
Loving the new Snowdon bubble 6.

After years of freezing in the wind riding the old quad it's nice to now ride a limo to the top in comfort. And so far it's still ski on. Although I'm sure that will change. Fast too, you can now actually rack up serious vertical lapping it.

djd66

Yeah. When I said that. I wasn’t talking full on triple, but didn’t want to get into it. I meant existing spacing and 1 more seat. Or chairs a little closer together. Can’t compare midweek to anything. Talking about weekends when most of the non local working stiffs have to ski. Just a few long @ss waits in a row got me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MW - I completely get what you are saying and I agree. Adding more chairs between existing chairs will not effect the current skiing experience at all. The only effect would be adding a few more people on the hill. Not sure what the up hill capacity with the set up they have, but adding 30% more (decrease spacing) will not change anything.

Yeah, I am one of those working stiffs that skis weekends. Standing in line watching the chair go by every 30 seconds is right up there with watching paint dry.

I’m sure there will be some castle rock Chair Huggers that will tell me I don’t get it. Yep, I don’t.

Zand

There's 50 other ski areas in New England with way too much uphill capacity that you can go to but sure let's try to ruin the one that doesn't.

benski

I think the long lines for Casterock demonstrates how New England is currently deficient in narrow Ski trails.

cdskier

There's 50 other ski areas in New England with way too much uphill capacity that you can go to but sure let's try to ruin the one that doesn't.

Don’t worry. It won’t be changed any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

djd66

I think the long lines for Casterock demonstrates how New England is currently deficient in narrow Ski trails.

I completely agree with this. I would also add the fact that there is a network of trails that are completely natural and without snowmaking.

Newpylong

I lived in Waitsfield in the mid 90s and when LBO bought the place there were plans for snowmaking, etc

The people wanted to crucify him, newspaper articles galore and he relented to transform everything but Castlerock. Glad that bullet got dodged.

ducky

My favorite time of the year is before they open the Castlerock lift and we hike from Paradise. As a snowboarder I just walk the whole way and there is zero difference in time between me and the skiers who ski the flats - generally about 20 mins. I get out of the way of passing skiers and they generally let me pass on the up-hills. In my late 50s I am good for about four hikes in a day. If the lift line is 30-40 minutes, why not just do the hike and get some solitude and exercise in the process? Without a doubt the experience (at current capacity or less) of uncrowded, narrow, natural terrain trails is what makes this such a great place. That and the woods. Sometimes, when Heaven's Gate is down, the reverse hike is worth it.

Tonight's storm downgraded a bit but still looking at 9-18". Will the lifts be running with 50mph northerly gusts? Better wax with some hard blue if so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I remember that. He probably would have turned Castle Rock into Oz or Whitecap. Sunday River west.

If the Balsams ever happens, I hope he isn't in charge of trail design.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I lived in Waitsfield in the mid 90s and when LBO bought the place there were plans for snowmaking, etc

The people wanted to crucify him, newspaper articles galore and he relented to transform everything but Castlerock. Glad that bullet got dodged.

I have a 1994 POWDER Magazine with an article on this.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

1dog

Village Quad

What is the life expectancy of a HSQ? Bravo and Gatehouse are 23 years old and as stated above has lot of hours on it. Slide Brook same age but much less hours.

Look at the line at GH on the weekends, those are the skiers you want to get back up on the hill learning to ski and not remembering their experience as standing in line. Thus the reasoning for a 6.

I would love to have Bravo be a 4 seater bubble- it's always windy. Doesn't have to be heated but taking the chill off would be nice. Nothing wrong with improved technology. I don't hear anyone pining to bring the old slow Sugar Bravo triple back...

I am sure the reasons were many, but my wosh was the VQ would have gone up to GH are and relieved all the green trail riders and maybe some ski school folks. That would have solved the over-crowding GH - generally 9:30-11:30 or when SB is down. Has been a good year so far for lift issues.

machski

Wasn't the top of Castlerock also the original proposal by him to connect North and South? I seem to recall that as it was the shortest distance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Wasn't the top of Castlerock also the original proposal by him to connect North and South? I seem to recall that as it was the shortest distance.

Top of North Lynx to top of GMX was the Slide Brook proposal, before LBO. That's the reasoning behind the original name for the lift up there... North Link Poma.