• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ducky

Mad River Riders will have a table set up at Blueberry Lake tomorrow. Come by and say hi and enjoy the ride.

cdskier

Words from Win, John, Rusty, and Matt (MRG) at the MRV Chamber meeting. No real insight to this season's rules and regs as those are coming in an announcement after Sept 14th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIE1GKezbsE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks ducky. Certainly a few interesting things at least...

Alterra's announcement comes out Sept 14th with more specific announcements sometime after that from individual resorts.
Per Matt a lot of people still either have no idea VT has a map detailing the restrictions or they have no idea how to read it.
No Mad Cards this year at MRG (will be interesting to see if SB also eliminates or limits the Quad pack this year)

Hawk

This is what they sent out today.
" We are prioritizing access for season pass holders and will tightly regulate the number of daily lift tickets that will be available by advance purchase only. To this end, walk-up window sales will be eliminated, and the sale of most undated lift ticket products will be discontinued until further notice. Please visit our resort website for more information regarding our policies"

I have my pass. Hope you bought yours.

cdskier

This is what they sent out today.
" We are prioritizing access for season pass holders and will tightly regulate the number of daily lift tickets that will be available by advance purchase only. To this end, walk-up window sales will be eliminated, and the sale of most undated lift ticket products will be discontinued until further notice. Please visit our resort website for more information regarding our policies"

I have my pass. Hope you bought yours.

Just finished reading that same e-mail. I have my pass. I suspect you'll see no Quad packs this year based on what was said in that e-mail.

mikec142

I actually just got off the phone with Sugarbush. I have my Ikon Pass, but my two teenagers have nothing, and I was planning to rely on quad packs. They said they were a hard yes on quad packs up thru July, but now its more of a qualified maybe and they are stuck waiting to tailor their offerings and policies around whatever the state mandates. Quad packs unrestricted but anonymous nature make it hard to predict usage whereas Ikon or season passes have years of data to draw conclusions from.

I may have to buy my kids young adult passes. Would not be my first choice as it's always a huge question as to the amount they will ski. Sometimes its 10-15 days, sometimes its 3 days.

Hawk

Just finished reading that same e-mail. I have my pass. I suspect you'll see no Quad packs this year based on what was said in that e-mail.

I would also think they do away with the cabin cat powder mornings and the cat dinners at Alynns this year also.

Hawk

I was talking to Alpine options today. They are saying that the manufacturers are cutting down on what they produce and ship for winter goods. So If you plan to buy something for this winter, you better do it now before the small stock they get is gone.

dustyroads

I have my Alterra pass and I'm not worried about skiing at the Bush or other Alterra owned mountains. I'm wondering if this will affect us at the Ikon mountains where we have limited days?

Hawk

So how are they going to limit the sales of advanced purchased lift tickets based on the amount of season pass holders showing up if pass holders don't at least send in some sense of how much they will show up. If it was me I would send out a pass holders survey and see what the general thinking is of the pass holder.

tumbler

Seems like the plan is to try to drive revenue by increasing pass sales by announcing no day tickets. My guess for operating is limited lifts. No VH (only when Bravo on hold), no slide brook, no summit (hike to FIS) and maybe no Inverness (GMVS can use their pomas). I'm not banking on the lodge for eating or drinking.. Maybe some warmth. Finding employees will be tough.

Hawk

But that does not make sense when you are trying to keep lines down so that spacing can occur. Wouldn't you want more lifts operating?

cdskier

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe relying a lot on historical passholder data? And then as the season goes on they could also judge season pass usage and make adjustments if they see it as necessary.

cdskier

But that does not make sense when you are trying to keep lines down so that spacing can occur. Wouldn't you want more lifts operating?

I agree. Running less lifts doesn't make any sense.

tumbler

I agree with your points, I just don't think they will have the bodies to run them all.

Hawk

That may very well be the case. We are also dealing with a new mountain manager in John Hammond. Unlike Win who owned the mountain and also ran the daily operations, John will not have much leverage when Altera comes calling. It will be interesting to see how they do things.