• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

bdfreetuna

I laugh every time I see anyone reference a trail with a "headwall" at Killington

Vertigo Headwall is pretty fun. It's lame to call everything a headwall but at least Killington has a few spots that sort of qualify. I guess you can laugh but they use the term to describe an upper steep section on a black diamond trail. Nothing wrong with that. At least they don't call all their wider trails "bowls".

I do like the wide flat trails being called "Meadows" though

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Sounds like this year we will get on the sleeper headwall soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slatham

Sounds like this year we will get on the sleeper headwall soon.

Ah yes I would imagine the trail and snowmaking work on Sleeper has something to do with the motivation to hit Gate House a bit quicker.

jaybird

As soon as Great Northern is open to get you from K1 down to North Ridge, Downdraft is usually open as well. In 9/10 years, this is before Sugarbush is open.

Yes, East Fall comes much later on for K. Not early season by any means.

Not necessarily so..
2 years ago early season when Glade triple failed, East Fall was the best descent option.
It was goopy, but no sparks flew. That Stairway doohickey is eventually gonna take its toll on one of those obnoxious K fanboys. Can't ski .. barely can walk.

Their new lift up there should make for a much more comfortable ride.

Think Snow !

STREETSKIER

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Looks like this
132ad1dbfc304af274bd1fc8403007fe.jpg
https://

Last edited:

cdskier

If the temps on the website and app are updating properly and accurate, then you've barely had marginal temps at the summit even at night anytime I've looked the past couple days so far...

machski

If the temps on the website and app are updating properly and accurate, then you've barely had marginal temps at the summit even at night anytime I've looked the past couple days so far...
Well, considering K is open and pushing to expand with the ingress route off the K1 this morning, I'd say Sugarbush has at least had marginal if not better temps up on the hill. Granted, optimum temps pop into the picture Thursday on for several days if not more this week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

Win does not do early season. I wouldn't get your hope up for skiing for another 2 weeks at least. We did not do Killington this weekend. Trying to clean up so we are not raking with headlights in the dark mid week. We should be at Sunday River next weekend and hopefully they are top to bottom. It is much more sane then Killington early season. We will probably do Killington in two weeks once they have a little more open to disburse the crowds.

cdskier

Well, considering K is open and pushing to expand with the ingress route off the K1 this morning, I'd say Sugarbush has at least had marginal if not better temps up on the hill. Granted, optimum temps pop into the picture Thursday on for several days if not more this week.

Apples and oranges... Scheduled opening day for SB is approximately 3 weeks away so why push it in marginal temps if you see a forecast with more ideal temps coming up soon? It could snow 10 feet and they wouldn't open earlier than scheduled. Like Hawk said, they're not racing to see how quickly they can open. They set a date and stick with it. As long as they think they can make enough snow in the better upcoming windows, I'm fine with them saving money in these marginal windows at this point.

Still would love to get a better webcam view that included a more zoomed in view of the HG area. There's the view from across the valley on the MRVRE webcam, but it is too wide of a shot to see if anything is going on. Summit looks white, but I'm assuming that is just from natural snow. The golf course shot is a pretty wide shot too and doesn't show the summit well either.

slatham

Apples and oranges... Scheduled opening day for SB is approximately 3 weeks away so why push it in marginal temps if you see a forecast with more ideal temps coming up soon? It could snow 10 feet and they wouldn't open earlier than scheduled. Like Hawk said, they're not racing to see how quickly they can open. They set a date and stick with it. As long as they think they can make enough snow in the better upcoming windows, I'm fine with them saving money in these marginal windows at this point.

Still would love to get a better webcam view that included a more zoomed in view of the HG area. There's the view from across the valley on the MRVRE webcam, but it is too wide of a shot to see if anything is going on. Summit looks white, but I'm assuming that is just from natural snow. The golf course shot is a pretty wide shot too and doesn't show the summit well either.

I agree with everything you wrote except: "It could snow 10 feet and they wouldn't open earlier than scheduled." Win would and has in the past. Lets hope he has that decision to make.

Xcreamus

Did y'all see the note on the website that they are going to start Gatehouse first? I agree with it being opened early. I think most of the ski instructors would want that, as it is the terrain they need. But I have to think that everyone starting there at the beginning would be TERRIBLE.

Let's hope for a beginning like last year's.

slatham

Did y'all see the note on the website that they are going to start Gatehouse first? I agree with it being opened early. I think most of the ski instructors would want that, as it is the terrain they need. But I have to think that everyone starting there at the beginning would be TERRIBLE.

Let's hope for a beginning like last year's.

Based on the forecast and longer range models, and assuming they don't open until advertised opening date of 11/23, this will be irrelevant. They will have Gate House and Valley House easy by 23rd, and likely TTB.

cdskier

Yea, this plan was announced in Win's blog a week or two ago and we did discuss it a bit here a few posts/pages back. Personally I'm not a fan of the new plan, but am willing to wait to see how it plays out. If weather cooperates, you could have both GH and VH terrain ready by opening day in theory in which case that's fine. If you had only GH for opening day, then I think a lot of regulars would not be too happy.

Based on the forecast and longer range models, and assuming they don't open until advertised opening date of 11/23, this will be irrelevant. They will have Gate House and Valley House easy by 23rd, and likely TTB.

Agreed. Let's hope the forecasts stay positive.

bdfreetuna

Sugarbush is one of the best for late season but IMO the early season game shouldn't be left exclusively to Killington and frankly Mount Snow will be kicking everyone's ass on skiable terrain again pretty soon.

Jiminy Peak will probably open in a week or so with 1,000' vert and some choices down the hill...

Not to bash the Bush (great terrain and great late season commitment to keeping trails open as long as possible), I've got 2 tickets to the main mountain I'm saving for spring, and I'll be doing $30 Thursdays at Mt Ellen