The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 541

AlpineZone

Page 541 of 587 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543551 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 5868
  1. #5401
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mad River Valley / MA
    Posts
    606
    You know I never realize that the Bravo went down. I was either at HG, Castlerock or skiing slide brook all day. No crowds to speak of and the snow was great. I also really enjoyed the 90's set from the Grift on Friday night. That was a fun weekend.

  2. #5402
    Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mad River Valley / MA
    Posts
    606
    Too funny. I think we have skied together Ducky and know the same people.

  3. #5403
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You know I never realize that the Bravo went down. I was either at HG, Castlerock or skiing slide brook all day. No crowds to speak of and the snow was great. I also really enjoyed the 90's set from the Grift on Friday night. That was a fun weekend.
    I was there on Friday as well and was not affected by S. Bravo's issue - it did stop for probably 5-10 minutes when we were on it, but I didn't think much of it.
    I'm of slightly different opinion on the snow conditions.

    It was less than optimal on a lot of trails. By my reckoning, it was actually pretty icy just about everywhere I went on SB main. I did not venture into Slide brook or Sugarbush North. From Lincoln peak, - ice city.Ripcord up on the top - I just had to side slip a lot of my turns and check my speed on "snow islands". Lower Ripcord had a nice, short sequence of moguls. But that's about it.
    Judging by a couple of mogul runs under the Valley House quad, which were the least skied off, I decided to not even bother with Castle Rock. From what I heard on the chair rides - it was quite icy up there as well.



    The groomed blues skied fairly well and Spring Fling was where I really enjoyed some high speed turns. So, I did have fun, but really had to pick my way carefully on a lot of trails. They need a good dump or spring temps to start morphing their snow to corn.

    Did you catch the two jet fighters (national guard??) buzzing Lincoln Peak?
    Live for today

  4. #5404
    lincoln peak is always ice city. they overgroom it, and a lot of the essential connectors (like the trails you take from super bravo to heavens gate) are a high traffic glare ice nightmare.

    i won't ski lincoln peak anymore unless its a powder day. the experience is better in every single way at mount ellen.

    i saw fighter planes on saturday at stowe.

  5. #5405
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    lincoln peak is always ice city. they overgroom it, and a lot of the essential connectors (like the trails you take from super bravo to heavens gate) are a high traffic glare ice nightmare.

    i won't ski lincoln peak anymore unless its a powder day. the experience is better in every single way at mount ellen.

    i saw fighter planes on saturday at stowe.
    The fighter planes on Saturday had one going basically between the top of North Lynx chair and Castlerock and the 2nd jet basically right over the top of the North Lynx Chair around noon, and an altitude I'm guessing not much more than 1000 feet above the ridges. I was about 10 chairs from the top terminal of North Lynx when the fly by happened, and it was a really cool experience! Spent the rest of the day with various songs and lines from Top Gun going through my head after that!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

  6. #5406
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    I was there on Friday as well and was not affected by S. Bravo's issue - it did stop for probably 5-10 minutes when we were on it, but I didn't think much of it.
    I'm of slightly different opinion on the snow conditions.

    It was less than optimal on a lot of trails. By my reckoning, it was actually pretty icy just about everywhere I went on SB main. I did not venture into Slide brook or Sugarbush North. From Lincoln peak, - ice city.Ripcord up on the top - I just had to side slip a lot of my turns and check my speed on "snow islands". Lower Ripcord had a nice, short sequence of moguls. But that's about it.
    Judging by a couple of mogul runs under the Valley House quad, which were the least skied off, I decided to not even bother with Castle Rock. From what I heard on the chair rides - it was quite icy up there as well.

    The groomed blues skied fairly well and Spring Fling was where I really enjoyed some high speed turns. So, I did have fun, but really had to pick my way carefully on a lot of trails. They need a good dump or spring temps to start morphing their snow to corn.
    The Super Bravo issue was on Saturday, not Friday.

    I thought Saturday at Lincoln Peak was quite good. I actually commented how I thought the groomed runs were some of the softest I had seen in quite a while. I also thought the natural trails had minimal ice and were in decent shape (actually ice isn't even the right word for what I did find as it was more just a couple hard-packed firm spots but not true ice).

    Unbeknownst to me until today, my cousin was up there Thursday and Friday. He skied LP on Friday and when I was talking with him earlier today he said it was good. He mentioned two of his buddies went up Castlerock and reported that Middle Earth was in pretty good shape as well.

  7. #5407
    It's funny how different perspectives are on the conditions. Yes, another storm would be nice, but we skied Lincoln Peak the past 4 days, and totally agree with Hawk. Unless one just wants to ski groomers, there is plenty of soft snow at LP, even off of Bravo.

    We were near the top on Bravo when the fighters flew by, the one seemed to be more next to us rather than above us. At least one of the pilots skis at SB, met him on the lift last year, that was a pretty cool conversation.

  8. #5408
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You know I never realize that the Bravo went down. I was either at HG, Castlerock or skiing slide brook all day. No crowds to speak of and the snow was great. I also really enjoyed the 90's set from the Grift on Friday night. That was a fun weekend.
    Same! I had no idea Bravo was down. I was off riding trails I've never been on in the 15 years we've been going to SB - getting a little braver - we tried the woods to the right of Spillsville (Spillsville Woods?). They were super fun! I think I can say I've graduated from Eden

    We attempted the woods at the top of Ripcord (that little chute behind the lift) but I think we messed up because it got thick real fast so we jumped back out. SB is like the gift that keeps on giving.

    Travis from Splinters set me up on two awesome demo boards - the Never Summer Aura and the GNU Ladies Choice - it was a very tough decision but I went with the GNU and can't wait to break it in this weekend.

  9. #5409
    Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    Same! I had no idea Bravo was down. I was off riding trails I've never been on in the 15 years we've been going to SB - getting a little braver - we tried the woods to the right of Spillsville (Spillsville Woods?). They were super fun! I think I can say I've graduated from Eden

    We attempted the woods at the top of Ripcord (that little chute behind the lift) but I think we messed up because it got thick real fast so we jumped back out. SB is like the gift that keeps on giving.

    Travis from Splinters set me up on two awesome demo boards - the Never Summer Aura and the GNU Ladies Choice - it was a very tough decision but I went with the GNU and can't wait to break it in this weekend.
    I think we took a few runs together after Blazer drop off - you have one in Bob's group?

  10. #5410
    Quote Originally Posted by TSQURD View Post
    I think we took a few runs together after Blazer drop off - you have one in Bob's group?
    Hey there! Yep, that was me! Thanks again for the awesome couple runs together! I heard you guys ended up over at Church Sunday! Awesome! I'll do that one day! It was great skiing with you - let's do it again!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 9 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The "Sugarbush Thread" vs. Guess the ski area
    By Greg in forum Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:52 PM.