• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

steamboat1

Even on busy days the valley house double gets very little attention from the guests. They should get the terminal to load at the bottom. Walking up that hill sucks.

That's exactly what they're going to do from what I heard. I don't see how since there's a base lodge & old gondola terminal in the way.

No they're not doing that. Same load, slightly different unload.

Not same load according to this from Win (SkiMRV).

"The plan is to take down the two MTN ops buildings downhill of the mushroom. There is a water plant that would remain but the rest of the area would maintain a retaining wall near where the existing foundation is and the area filled in with dirt and seeded. Loading would be approximately the middle of the mountain operations building. It would be spaced so as not to interfere with Bravo corral and the ski passage way from Gondolier past Bravo. it would provide great uphill out of the area."

"The only potential issue is that it mayl be closer than 50 feet from the Claybrook stream bank which is not allowed under the current ANR guidelines. Our position is we are grandfathered due to the existing building and we will be improving the areas because we will have less impermeable surfaces there. In our opinion is really will be environmentally better. This is very close to where the old Gondola bottom terminal once was."
Thank you sir. I knew I had read about extending the terminal lower somewhere but couldn't find the link this afternoon.

bellowthecat

Yes...I went to Lincoln Peak today while my son skied Mt Ellen and did ride the NRX. Report was that Exterminator was great today.

That's great news. I love the Bush, but literally every single time I have been there (not that many, like 15 times) NRX wasn't running. As a result I have only been to Ellen once, and even that was because Super Bravo and North Lynx were down at Lincoln. Hoping to get back up later this month and really explore that area.

steamboat1

Read in another thread that the Valley House side of the mountain will be closed sometime in April. They plan on starting the disassembly of the Valley House lift & blasting at the top for the new lift terminal. That means no Steins or Snowball late season this year.

benski

Demolition is supposed to start April 6th and be finished by May.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

Yeah. After failing so badly on north ridge this summer I would think management would be done with them. North ridge's reliability is significantly worse this year even though dopplemayr refurbished it.

benski

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Yes it will be carpet loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

machski

Yeah. After failing so badly on north ridge this summer I would think management would be done with them. North ridge's reliability is significantly worse this year even though dopplemayr refurbished it.

Why would you think NRX would have anything to do with a new FGQ? I mean after all, when LBO moved NRX, he had Dopp move a Poma lift and since has had Dopp refurbish it. Not their original equipement, should have been moved by Poma originally and refurbished by them. You really cannot compare that lift to anything that is pure Dopplemayr.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why would you think NRX would have anything to do with a new FGQ? I mean after all, when LBO moved NRX, he had Dopp move a Poma lift and since has had Dopp refurbish it. Not their original equipement, should have been moved by Poma originally and refurbished by them. You really cannot compare that lift to anything that is pure Dopplemayr.

The issue is that Win hired Doppelmayr to do major work this past summer on NRX and they had a ton of problems. As you said, it is a Poma and should be maintained by Poma folks. I think we all expected them to use Poma or SkyTrac for the new lift and not Doppelmayr. The truth is though that Doppelamyr does MANY more lifts than Poma and SkyTrac combined. You may not see that in New England, but go out west and look (except for parts of Colorado).

bdfreetuna

I was at Mt Ellen today and North Ridge was down for half the day. Crowds were light so it was easy to hop on the summit quad but still this really limits options for skiing as each run must be 2400 foot vert, and there's really no reason to go up to the summit most of the time.

Good day but I'll say they need more snow. I hit a lot of rocks today and there were a lot of obstacles in the woods. If what they have now turned into base and another good refresh or two before April-- we'll be good. It's not the depth that's the issue it's just they have no base under the most recent snow.