• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

A support beam collapsed. The area torn down was for safety reasons. Will now have to think about the future plan for the Glen House.

I personally would love to see some real money put into the Glen House. How about tearing it down and triple or quadruple the size of it? I am sure rebuilding it would be a nightmare with the permitting and then bringing it up to code.

Given the layout of North - it makes complete sense for that building to be a lot bigger.

GregoryIsaacs

I personally would love to see some real money put into the Glen House. How about tearing it down and triple or quadruple the size of it? I am sure rebuilding it would be a nightmare with the permitting and then bringing it up to code.

Given the layout of North - it makes complete sense for that building to be a lot bigger.

Agreed. Its a borderline fire hazard now! Cant tell you the amount of times ive tried to spend $$ there just to realize it was a nearly impossible feat with the crowds

HowieT2

Agreed. Its a borderline fire hazard now! Cant tell you the amount of times ive tried to spend $$ there just to realize it was a nearly impossible feat with the crowds

Agreed. hopefully with a real fireplace ( realize thats extremely unlikely).

Hawk

Before that happens they will probably build the structure at the top of the Gatehouse so they can have an additional wedding venue up on the mountain that doubles as a lunch place in the winter for the programs. There was talk about that. Not sure if either will happen.

smac75

having looked at that structure in the summer, it was only a matter of time before something gave way.

I have to say, I've had this thought on more than one occasion while hanging out on a packed ME base lodge deck!

WWF-VT

Lol...crowds between 11 and 1 on weekend days doesn't merit a 3-4x expansion in the size of the Glen House.

djd66

Lol...crowds between 11 and 1 on weekend days doesn't merit a 3-4x expansion in the size of the Glen House.

With that logic, they shouldn't build base lodges either. They could have just stuck with the Yurt instead of building Gatehouse (way too small IMHO)

HowieT2

I dont know that that's true. if they have to build something anyway, how much more would it cost to make it bigger.

MorningWoods

I dont know that that's true. if they have to build something anyway, how much more would it cost to make it bigger.

I agree bigger. It’s a great opportunity to do something over there. While we’re at it we can put the lift in that was planned to go above Inverness. Bet you can get a screaming deal on the bubble lift from hermitage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

I agree bigger. It’s a great opportunity to do something over there. While we’re at it we can put the lift in that was planned to go above Inverness. Bet you can get a screaming deal on the bubble lift from hermitage!

No bubbles!

GregoryIsaacs

LOL you must love the smell of some random dudes cheese breath down your back or something. Its safe to say bigger would be way better for a lodge in such an ideal place as the Glenn House is

WWF-VT

LOL you must love the smell of some random dudes cheese breath down your back or something. Its safe to say bigger would be way better for a lodge in such an ideal place as the Glenn House is

Bigger sure, but 3-4x as suggested is too much. FWIW - I use the Glen House for a bio break and warm-up on cold days and have never experienced anyone's cheese breath.

1dog

Since we are suggesting how to spend all SV's cash

Bigger sure, but 3-4x as suggested is too much. FWIW - I use the Glen House for a bio break and warm-up on cold days and have never experienced anyone's cheese breath.

a 20 year member of our ski house is president of a well-known, highly-regarded architectual firm ( who's namesake owned a little hill out in Wyoming for a few years. . . . . ). We are always discussing how the Octagon would be the BEST BAR in ski country with stand up bar around the outside and 'tenders in the middle - hec charge a cover and you'd get it!

I'm sure there are structural issues, but he has offered a complimentary spec of the whole place for Win to look at. I'm not schooled in how all that works, but hes a Yale guy so I always say how sorry I am for him. . . . .

Anyway, Mike is a Sugarbush loyalist from way back, and a talented fellow.

So now three projects on the CapEx list - Walts, the Oct, and yeah, the only major mountain with no farily large lodge on the mountain itself needs that upper Gatehouse lodge. Permit it before DC turns hostile to development on or near givernment property!
There - put that in your pipe and , er, ah, vape it?

flakeydog

By octagon, do you mean the mushroom? I think another little place up here has dibs on the "Octagon" name.

I think some sort of lodge on at the top of gatehouse would be great. Lots of space up there, not particularly visible from below or other parts of the mountain (preserving aesthetics/views) and quite accessible (lift, truck, snowcat). Also, perhaps the elevation is such that permits would not be as much of a challenge with higher areas. Food, restrooms, etc would be good and puts us in line with other mountains. It also holds potential for summer use. Ride up chair, easy hike down (or even hike up destination). The only downside I can think of is it would possibly put more people on gatehouse chair which tends to be the longest in terms of lines (when there are lines).

As far as the Glen House, I see permit issues preventing any type of expansion beyond current state. I foresee a repair and that is about it. Maybe a provision to expand ground floor under the current deck footprint perhaps.

tumbler

Mushroom has been discussed many times and I believe Win said it is a structural issue and an alcohol permit issue. We all agree it would be an awesome bar and dance party place.

Lodge at top of GH would be sweet and it has been mentioned as a potential item but would be a huge expense. Could be used for summer wedding venue and would be great for winter on mountain. I think more needs to happen to make it work. Turn GH into a 6 pack (no bubbles) and put a lift in from the intersection of CR runout and Header up to the GH flats. Put some trails or wood skiing in there and a bridge over clay brook to get back to base of new lift. I bet people would ride SB from North to get over there to eat too.

I think a bigger glen house would be nice, maybe double the size at the most and put real food service in there to take the load off the base lodge. Nice big deck too. Could be a summer wedding venue also by using GMX. Not gonna happen though as North is not the focus of capital and resources.

MorningWoods

Ok fine no bubbles. Lol.

But I am still a proponent of the terrain expansion at North that was once mentioned. New lodge and some enhancements over there and maybe that’s back on the table. I really don’t care to see much more on Lincoln peak side. Other than some non-ski related investments. Time to start putting the traffic elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk