• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
The "Sugarbush Thread"

I don't know about bee's nests but if apples are any indication of how severe the winter will be then we are in business. Lots of apple up in the valley.

One thing that was troubling to me is the rumors I have been hearing. I'm not sure if anybody else heard them and I am not going to say anything here and now because at this point it is just a rumor. But if they are true then there is going to be some unhappy people.

???

Yeah, you can’t leave us hanging....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

1dog

Thats old news - so maybe the lift that was supposed to be cut above Inverness is happening!

Or buses no longer picking up at SB lot, or hot chocolate is going to $11, or maybe SV is selling condos half price? Whatever it is, truth, fable or 'fake ski news', there will always be unhappy people because of something that changes, or doesn't.

Why do I think the Ikons and Epics will lure skiers to other areas for less than the price of a season pass at SB? We have 4 openings at our house and this has been the slowest traffic we've ever had for inquiries? Running houses since 1984, since '94 at SB. If it lowers traffic on weekends, those of us w passes and kids in programs won't mind too much. . . . . .

3 or 4 of my regular ski buds who are up no less than 3 or 4 weekends a year now have Ikons - ostensibly thats less at our hill.

Either way these passes are disrupters somewhat like Airbnb and Uber, but may not be a permanent fixture.

We're all hanging on threads Hawk . . . .

slatham

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Fan guns and a high-speed six on Castlerock. You heard it here first folks.

And here I was thinking it would be something that would change the character of the mountain!

But seriously Hawk, clue us in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtjcbrown

One thing that was troubling to me is the rumors I have been hearing. I'm not sure if anybody else heard them and I am not going to say anything here and now because at this point it is just a rumor. But if they are true then there is going to be some unhappy people.

I remember doing that back in grammar school. "I've got a secret, I've got a secret. But I'm not gonna tell you".

tumbler

I don't know about bee's nests but if apples are any indication of how severe the winter will be then we are in business. Lots of apple up in the valley.

If you are not going to tell the rumor, then tell us who will be unhappy.

TheArchitect

Aww, you can't leave us hanging! How about sending PM's and swearing to secrecy?

KustyTheKlown

oo baby, if thats the case im pumped. i know it can cause shit-showiness, but the lack of a full season pass destination closer than tremblant is ikon's big negative vs epic, especially now that okemo, stowe, snow, hunter, and wildcat are all full season passes for them.

id spend almost all my time at mount ellen where the crowding never struck me as an issue last year. i also vastly prefer the terrain

1dog

Im a huge fan of Mellen - same w terrain and lack of crowds. just colder and windier. Sowith Ikon you get 7 days but at aformentioned resorts with Epic its full season at all? That should create even more competition. Have a customer who has a house at Sunapee - so he gets all those included for unlimited with Epic?

KustyTheKlown

epic local:
unlimited at most
unlimited with blackouts at some (stowe)
10 days with blackouts (vail, bc, whistler)
2 days at sun valley, snowbasin
5 days japan
50% off on blackout dates

i just learned that the only option that includes fernie and kicking horse is the full epic pass, and that its only 7 days combined at all teh RCR resorts.

by adding all the peaks places as full season passes, that's gotta light a fire under ikon to compete, and tremblant doesnt cut the mustard for this. i dont care for the peaks places, save for wildcat which is too far for me to go to very much, so peaks doesnt make me pine for epic, but i love it if it means ikon's next salvo in the pass wars is unlimited sugarbush.

i do hope that the peaks/epic merger makes epic the generally more crowded options in the east.

Last edited:

Zand

Even better would be unlimited Powdr resorts as well. Then add Jay next year. Jay/Sugarbush/Killington>>>>>>Epic.

JimG.

Staff member
Even better would be unlimited Powdr resorts as well. Then add Jay next year. Jay/Sugarbush/Killington>>>>>>Epic.

Bite your tongue.

Wait until one of these mega owners goes bankrupt and 25 ski hills close down at once. That'll be great, huh?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You know it's near ski season when the AZ community comes up with the following rumors...

Vail is closing Wildcat midweek
Mt Ellen will be closed midweek
K/Pico interconnect is happening
MRG and Smuggs should close midweek
Everyone including my aunt wants to buy Jay Peak

Zand

Bite your tongue.

Wait until one of these mega owners goes bankrupt and 25 ski hills close down at once. That'll be great, huh?

ASC went belly up and they all came out okay. A company like Vail isn't going belly up any time soon because they keep their spending under control. And other than Alterra and mini-groups like Boyne, there aren't any large mega owners for any of the Ikon resorts.

JimG.

Staff member
ASC went belly up and they all came out okay. A company like Vail isn't going belly up any time soon because they keep their spending under control. And other than Alterra and mini-groups like Boyne, there aren't any large mega owners for any of the Ikon resorts.

I would hate to see resorts like Killington or Sugarbush become unlimited access on any mega pass. The 7 day limited access on Ikon is bad enough.

Eventually season passholders at resorts that offer mega pass access will start to resent the added skier traffic. Especially since they get nothing in return. Many think that condo owners won't stop buying passes or that skiers won't sever social ties to move elsewhere. My experience says otherwise...you can abuse the golden goose only so long before it stops laying golden eggs.

I doubt Killington or Sugarbush is going to go so far as to alienate their loyal season passholders.

EPB

Vail is closing Wildcat midweek
Mt Ellen will be closed midweek
MRG and Smuggs should close midweek

Not rumors - merely suggesting what are likely rational moves. I'd love to know how many AZers ski their favorite areas on non-holiday Wednesdays (and if so, how many days). My guess is save for a handful of retired people, quite few. People on here acting like it would actually affect their lives to see their favorite place close on Wednesdays cracks me up.